With 45+ dedicated attorneys, Calfee’s Corporate and Finance practice group is one of the largest and most prolific in Ohio, handling a significant number of complex and sophisticated business and financial transactions for clients across the country and globally.
Calfee boasts a robust Merger and Acquisitions, Divestitures and Sales practice, annually consummating 60-75 M&A transactions, and led by an active private equity client base and a large roster of public and significant privately held corporate clients. These financial and strategic buyers, coupled with our deep investment banking representations and relationships, drive a thriving and diverse M&A practice at Calfee.
Calfee also has a full range of corporate governance, SEC reporting and compliance, and capital markets services and a wealth of experience representing public companies, including NYSE and NASDAQ-listed issuers. Calfee has represented issuers and underwriters in more than 230 public and Rule 144A offerings since 1981. In addition, Calfee has a strong history, unique in our region, of representing financial services providers such as banks, broker-dealers and investment advisers.
Calfee’s Commercial Lending attorneys represent clients in all aspects of domestic and international transactions, financings and debt structures. We counsel financial institutions and borrowers in analyzing, structuring, documenting, and negotiating all aspects of finance in private, public, syndicated, international, and governmental settings. We also assist companies in developing and structuring the commercial aspects of domestic and international business relationships including development projects, sales, distribution arrangements, and multinational ventures.
Calfee's Public Finance attorneys cover the entire range of governmental borrowings, from routine general obligation bonds and notes of local cities and villages, to projects as complex and unique as the redevelopment of inner-ring suburbs, urban hotels and parking facilities, student housing and sports facilities and the transformation of a large public hospital. The practice encompasses economic development incentives and Public / Private Partnership law services.
Our lawyers serve as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, disclosure counsel, issuer’s counsel and borrower’s counsel for a wide variety of public finance transactions.
Chambers USA Band 2 Ranking in Corporate/M&A and in Banking & Finance
For more than a decade, Calfee has been ranked for Corporate/M&A – Ohio by Chambers USA. Most recently, Calfee's Corporate and Finance practice was ranked by Chambers USA 2022 in Band 2 for Corporate/M&A in Ohio: North and in Band 2 for Banking & Finance in Ohio.
Chambers USA commentators noted Calfee's Corporate and Finance practice "Draws from an impressive statewide team with a strong track record across a broad range of corporate and transactional matters, acting on behalf of public and private businesses and financial institutions. Areas of excellence include M&A, securities offerings and private equity and venture capital fund formation. [Calfee also] offers notable capital markets expertise, with particular strengths in acting for underwriters. The firm's understanding and experience at the highest levels of business and law have served as a great benefit for us. Its lawyers are pragmatic and efficient with good business sense."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2023 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in the following areas:
- Banking and Finance Law (National Tier 3, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law (Regional Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Commercial Finance Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Corporate Compliance Law (Regional Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Corporate Governance Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Corporate Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Columbus, Regional Tier 2 Cincinnati)
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (National Tier 3, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Columbus)
- Public Finance Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Securities / Capital Markets Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Cincinnati)
- Securities Regulation (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Tax Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Venture Capital Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
The Best Lawyers in America©
- Calfee earned the Best Lawyers 2022 Top-Listed State Award for Securities/Capital Markets Law in Ohio with five attorneys recognized.
- Calfee earned the Best Lawyers 2022 Top-Listed City Award for Corporate Law in Cleveland with 10 attorneys recognized.
The "Top-Listed" designation is given to the firm that has the most recognized lawyers in a particular location and practice area.
IFLR1000 (United States), Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms and Lawyers
Calfee was selected for inclusion in IFLR1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms in 2022/2023:
- Banking: USA – Notable; Ohio – Tier 1
- Capital Markets: Ohio – Recommended
- M&A: Ohio – Tier 2
- Restructuring & Insolvency: Ohio –Tier 2
IFLR1000 researchers quoted a Calfee client describing Calfee's Banking Group in the following way: "Everything they did seemed a level above all my prior dealings with other law firms."