Blake regularly counsels health care providers, underwriters, counties, cities, port authorities, and other political subdivisions on tax-exempt and taxable financing matters.
Additionally, Blake advises clients on business formation and entity selection, corporate governance, securities, mergers and acquisitions, and general business matters. He frequently negotiates and prepares corporate and commercial agreements.
Blake serves as leader of Calfee's Public Finance practice.
While attending the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Blake was as a member of the Technology, Law, and Policy Journal and also interned for the Honorable Robert J. Cindrich for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Blake graduated from Yale University where he was an All-American Lacrosse Player; he has coached at the collegiate level.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2014-2019
J.D., MBA, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2005
B.A., History, Yale University, 2002
- Representing health system in public offering of $190 million of tax-exempt bonds, including developing a springing master trust indenture.
- Representing a 501(c)(3) borrower in the direct sale of $75 million of bonds to banks to construct a water, steam, and electric power system.
- Representing a hospital in the issuance of multiple series of fixed and variable rate bonds over the past five years, with an aggregate principal amount greater than $350 million.
- Serving as bond counsel in connection with the issuance of $15 million of qualified school construction bonds.
- Serving as bond counsel for a county library district in connection with the issuance of $25 million of advance refunding bonds.
- Serving as bond counsel in connection with the issuance of $90 million of hospital facilities refunding bonds.
- Serving as borrower’s counsel for a 501(c)(3) hospital in the sale of $75 million of bonds to finance hospital facilities.
- Serving as bond counsel for a municipal corporation in connection with the issuance of $70 million of Build America Bonds and tax-exempt refunding bonds.
- Serving as bond counsel for a local school district in connection with the issuance of $21 million of bonds to finance the construction of a new school.
- Serving as underwriter’s counsel for a $75 million issuance of bonds to finance a portion of a residential tower to be owned by a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Serving as underwriter’s counsel for a $145 million issuance of bonds to advance refund outstanding bonds and pay for the costs of the construction of a new hospital emergency department.
- Serving as underwriter’s counsel in connection with the issuance of certificates of participation to finance an education facility.
- Serving as bond counsel for a state university’s issuance of $130 million of bonds to refinance a stadium, housing and other capital improvements.
- Representing a seller in a $5 million sale of its radio stations.
- Representing a purchaser in the purchase of a historic theatre and café, resulting in the successful preservation of the theatre.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
National Association of Bond Lawyers, member, 2007 - present
Yale Alumni Association of Cleveland, trustee
Avon/Avon Lake Community Resource Services, trustee
Bulldogs on the Cuyahoga, trustee
News & Events
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.17.2018
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 03.28.2018