Giving back to the community is a value deeply embedded in the culture of Calfee, Halter & Griswold. From food banks and area schools to Habitat for Humanity and Toys 4 Tots, our community service efforts are approached with the same kind of enthusiasm we bring to our practice. Many of Calfee’s attorneys support charities and several are service-sector leaders in various community diversity-driven projects. Here are a few of the organizations we support:
- Achievement Centers for Children
- Aubrey Rose Foundation
- Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Cleveland
- Catholic Charities of Southwestern Ohio
- Center of Science and Industry
- Children's Hunger Alliance
- Children's Law Center, Inc.
- Cincinnati Observatory
- Cincinnati Youth Collaborative
- City Year
- Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation
- Cleveland Zoological Society
- The Council of State Governments
- Commercial Real Estate Women, Inc. of Cleveland
- Down Syndrome Association
- Downtown Cincinnati Inc.
- Greater Cincinnati Behavioral Health Services
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hamilton County Development Co., Inc. (HCDC)
- Hamilton County Planning + Development
- Harvest for Hunger
- Heartland Hospice Care
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation
- Jewish Federation of Cleveland
- Kids Voting USA
- Mid-Ohio Foodbank
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Nationwide Children's Hospital
- The Nature Conservancy
- Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame
- Oyler School
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Saint Martin de Porres High School
- Shaw High School
- St. Rita School for the Deaf
- Stepping Stones
- The Squash Academy
- Greater Cleveland Partnership Equity & Inclusion
- National Conference of State Legislatures
- Toys for Tots
- United Way
- University Circle Inc.
- Velo Sano
- Warren County Arts and Culture Center
- Youth Opportunities Unlimited
Calfee is very active in pro bono activities. We are a repeating participant in the Cleveland Legal Aid Society’s Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, including their Free Advice Clinics and Evening Law Clinics. Our lawyers also spend time donating legal hours to the Bankruptcy Bypass program sponsored by the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (CMBA) and Legal Aid Society; Wills for Heroes, a program that prepares free estate plans for fire, police and other first responders; and the Cleveland Rape Crisis Center.
In Columbus, Calfee attorneys donate many hours in legal services to the Franklin Park Conservatory; and OSU Fisher Business School Business Plan Competition, providing legal services to the winners of the challenge.
In Cincinnati, Calfee attorneys actively support and donate legal services to many area nonprofits, including Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio, which engages attorney volunteers to provide nonprofits with free legal services tailored to their business needs.
The law firm as a whole is also involved in providing services in conjunction with Lex Mundi’s Pro Bono Foundation.
"When we're called upon to help people that are less fortunate, or in the case of nonprofit entities, that don't have big budgets...to hire an attorney or law firm at an hourly rate, [helping] is the right thing to do."
Chris Williams, Partner co-Chair of Litigation practice group and Chair of Calfee's Pro Bono Committee