Calfee has consistently been recognized as a Leading Law Firm in Ohio by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers®. We are grateful to our clients and legal industry colleagues who served as references and provided vital feedback to the Chambers researchers, which helped to support this terrific result.
Chambers and Partners assesses law firms on technical legal ability, client service, commercial vision and business understanding, diligence, value, and depth of teams. Law firm departments are ranked on the qualities of their attorneys, and the effectiveness and capability of the department as a whole (its strength and depth). Law firms and individual lawyers are ranked in bands from 1 (highest) to 6, and being ranked in any band is considered a significant achievement in the global legal community.
A client provided the following feedback to a Chambers researcher in the course of the 2020 research process, "The practical nature of the firm is what makes Calfee special. They are experienced and knowledgeable enough to interact with larger firms, which typically are on the other side of our deals, but they are more effective because they're responsive and focus on the most important issues. They help get the right outcome, but more quickly and effectively, which translates into value. They stack up well with larger firms across the country and better than most firms in the local market. We think very highly of them."
Chambers USA 2021 recognized Calfee in the following 10 practice areas:
- Antitrust (Band 2)
- Banking and Finance (Band 2)
- Corporate/M&A - Ohio: North (Band 2)
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Band 2)
- Insurance: Policyholder (Band 1)
- Intellectual Property (Band 2)
- Labor & Employment (Band 4)
- Litigation: General Commercial (Band 3)
- Natural Resources & Environment (Band 3)
- Real Estate (Band 4)
Chambers ranks individual attorneys based on their legal knowledge, experience, ability, effectiveness and client service. Each of the following 27 Calfee attorneys, across 12 practice areas, have been recognized as a “Leader in Their Field" by Chambers USA 2021:
- Fritz E. Berckmueller, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Band 2)
- Karl S. Beus, Banking & Finance (Band 2)
- Mitchell G. Blair, Litigation: General Commercial (Band 2)
- John R. Cernelich, Labor & Employment (Band 4)
- John S. Cipolla, Intellectual Property (Band 1)
- Mara E. Cushwa, Real Estate (Band 4)
- Steven W. Day, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (Band 3)
- Terrence F. Doyle, Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
- Arthur C. Hall III, Corporate/M&A (Band 3)
- Maura L. Hughes, Antitrust (Band 1)
- John J. Jenkins, Corporate/M&A (Band 2)
- Christopher Jones, Natural Resources & Environment (Band 2)
- Gus Kallergis, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Band 4)
- James M. Lawniczak, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Senior Statesperson)
- Mark W. McDougall, Intellectual Property (Band 4)
- Thomas F. McKee, Corporate/M&A (Sr. Statesperson)
- Robert A. Miller, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Band 2)
- Douglas A. Neary, Corporate/M&A (Eminent Practitioner)
- Todd F. Palmer, Labor & Employment (Band 4)
- Karla M. Rogers, Real Estate (Band 4)
- Raymond Rundelli, Intellectual Property (Band 4)
- Ann Z. Seger, Banking & Finance (Up & Coming)
- K. James Sullivan, Insurance (Band 1)
- Todd Tucker, Intellectual Property (Band 3)
- Jennifer L. Vergilii, Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
- Thomas M. Welsh, Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
- Christopher S. Williams, Litigation: General Commercial (Band 3)
With more than 200 researchers, Chambers has been conducting independent research into top law firms worldwide for nearly 30 years and is considered the preeminent ranking organization in the legal industry globally.
Chambers High Net Worth
Calfee's Estate and Succession Planning and Administration practice group was ranked in Chambers HNW 2021 as a "Leading Law Firm" in Private Wealth Law in Ohio (Band 2). The following Calfee Estate and Succession Planning and Administration attorneys have been recognized as "Leaders in their Field" in Private Wealth Law in Ohio in 2021:
- Jean M. Hillman, Private Wealth Law (Band 3)
- Joseph M. Mentrek, Private Wealth Law (Band 1)
- Jaclyn M. Vary, Private Wealth Law (Up and Coming)
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings
Calfee earned 14 National Rankings and 44 Metropolitan Rankings (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and New York City) in the 2021 “Best Law Firms” report published by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers.
Firms included in the “Best Law Firms” listings are recognized for professional excellence with consistently impressive ratings from clients and peers. Achieving a tiered ranking signals a unique combination of quality law practice and breadth of legal expertise.
A total of 77 Calfee attorneys have been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©, 2022 edition.
Fifty-six Calfee attorneys were selected for inclusion to the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become regarded as a definitive guide to legal excellence and serves as a resource for both lawyers and consumers in search of legal talent nationwide. Best Lawyers is based on a peer-review survey in which more than 55,000 leading attorneys cast more than 6.7 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas.
Four Calfee attorneys have been recognized as 2022 “Lawyers of the Year,” a designation presented annually to a single attorney in each practice area and metropolitan area.
In addition, 21 Calfee attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list for 2022. This recognition is given to attorneys who typically have been in practice between 5-9 years and who demonstrate outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the United States. The award recipients are selected through peer-review, just as with the traditional Best Lawyers list.
Calfee earned the Best Lawyers 2022 Top-Listed State Award for Securities / Capital Markets Law in Ohio with five attorneys recognized and the 2022 Top-Listed City Award for Corporate Law in Cleveland with 10 attorneys recognized. The "Top-Listed" designation is given to the firm that has the most recognized lawyers in a particular location and practice area.
The International Financial Law Review's IFLR1000
Calfee earned recognition in four practice areas in the 2021/2022 IFLR1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms rankings lists:
- Banking – USA: Notable; Ohio: Tier 1
- Capital Markets – Ohio Recommended
- M&A – Ohio Tier 2
- Restructuring and Insolvency – Ohio Tier 2
Four Calfee Partners were recognized in the state of Ohio:
- Karl S. Beus – Highly Regarded in Banking
- John J. Jenkins – Highly Regarded in Capital Markets: Debt, Capital Markets: Equity, and M&A
- Brent M. Pietrafese – Highly Regarded in M&A
- Jennifer L. Vergilii – Highly Regarded in Capital Markets: Debt, Capital Markets: Equity, and M&A
Calfee was named one of five finalist firms on the IFLR1000 United States Awards' 2021/2022 shortlist of law firms nominated for "Ohio Firm of the Year." The awards showcase the best performers and most impactful transactions of the previous year, across the spectrum of corporate finance disciplines, along with the teams behind the transactions.
The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide recognizes the world's leading financial and corporate law firms and lawyers. IFLR1000 has been producing legal market intelligence since 1990 and remains the only international legal directory dedicated to ranking law firms and lawyers on the basis of financial and corporate transactional work.
Benchmark Litigation ranked Calfee in two practice areas in Ohio in 2022:
- Dispute Resolution – Highly Recommended Law Firm
- Labor and Employment – Recommended Law Firm
In total, 14 Calfee attorneys were selected for inclusion to the Benchmark Litigation 2022 guide:
- Fritz E. Berckmueller – Local Litigation Star: White-Collar Crime
- Mitchell G. Blair – Local Litigation Star: International Arbitration, White-Collar Crime, Securities, Commercial, Professional Liability
- Jason J. Blake – 40 & Under Hot List: Construction, White-Collar Crime, Commercial
- David T. Bules – 40 & Under Hot List: Securities, Commercial, ERISA
- John R. Cernelich – Labor and Employment Star: Labor and Employment
- Maura L. Hughes – Local Litigation Star: Competition/Antitrust, Commercial
- David J. Kaufman – Labor and Employment Star: Labor and Employment
- James F. Lang – Local Litigation Star: Appellate, Tax Disputes, Commercial, Energy
- Albert J. Lucas – Local Litigation Star: White-Collar Crime, Appellate, Commercial, Healthcare
- Matthew M. Mendoza – Local Litigation Star: Insurance, Construction, Product Liability and Recall
- Thomas I. Michals – Local Litigation Star: Insurance, Product Liability and Recall, Commercial, Real Estate
- Todd F. Palmer – Labor and Employment Star: Labor and Employment
- James Sullivan – Litigation Star: Insurance
- Christopher S. Williams – Local Litigation Star: Securities, Competition/Antitrust, Commercial, Professional Liability, Healthcare
The guide’s results are the culmination of a six-month research period that included extensive interviews with the nation’s leading private practice lawyers and in-house counsel. Benchmark Litigation is the only publication on the market to focus exclusively on litigation in the United States.
Ohio Super Lawyers
Twenty-four Calfee attorneys were selected for inclusion to the 2021 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars lists. Each year, no more than 5% of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor. Super Lawyers is a comprehensive listing of outstanding lawyers in more than 70 areas of practice. Each attorney listed in Ohio Super Lawyers has been chosen by their peers as being among the best in their profession.
World Trademark Review 1000
Raymond Rundelli has been named to the 2021 edition of World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals. The annual WTR 1000 research directory recognizes the world’s leading trademark firms and professionals. Each year, WTR conducts exhaustive qualitative research to identify the firms and individuals that are deemed outstanding in this critical area of practice.
BTI Client Service A-Team
Calfee has been named to the 2021 "BTI Client Service A-Team" and "Most Improved" lists by The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., the only law firm ranking program based on direct, unprompted feedback from corporate counsel. Calfee was ranked as one of only 70 law firms improving client service performance more than all other firms in the past year. BTI Client Service A-Team 2021 draws on data collected in BTI’s ongoing Annual Survey of General Counsel, now in its 19th year.
BTI Brand Elite
Calfee has been named to the BTI Brand Elite 2019 listing, ranking the firm in the top 20% of all law firms for providing premium-worthy value. The BTI Brand Elite list is compiled based on in-depth interviews with close to 700 corporate counsel at the world’s largest and most influential companies. Calfee also received this recognition in 2018.
Cincy Leading Lawyers
Nine Calfee attorneys were named 2021 Cincy Leading Lawyers. Hundreds of members of Greater Cincinnati’s legal community nominated colleagues for this honor, specifying a particular strength and area of practice for each nominated attorney, and a jury of peers made the final selections. Cincy Leading Lawyers recognizes the Tristate’s best lawyers annually in Cincy Magazine’s most popular issue, “The Power 100.”
“Green +” Certification
The Cleveland Calfee Building was awarded “Green +” certification through 2018 from the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association for its energy savings, recycling, and sustainability practices. “Green +” is the highest certification awarded by the CMBA’s Green Initiative Committee.
We're proud of our legacy of helping clients succeed. And we're honored to continue earning recognition for those achievements.