Calfee's Health Care Regulation practice provides clients with quality, comprehensive and practical solutions to the specific regulatory challenges they face. We represent a variety of health care organizations and providers as well as health care technology and wellness companies.
Our Health Care Regulation attorneys are knowledgeable on the ever-changing health care laws and regulations, evolving reimbursement models and trends and other business and regulatory developments.
Calfee’s Health Care practice provides legal services to various types of health care facilities, including the following:
- Academic medical centers
- Hospital facilities
- Physician groups and individual physicians
- Long-term care facilities
- Biomedical and medical device start-up companies
- DMEPOS manufacturers and suppliers
- Dialysis providers
- Health care management and administrative service providers
- Health care payors
- Billing companies
- Independent and physician office laboratories
- Medical technology, device and life science companies
- Pharmaceutical benefit managers
- Health care information technology and wellness companies
Calfee has significant experience representing various clients with their health care matters:
- Hospitals and physician groups in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and buyouts.
- Physicians in contract negotiations and practice formation.
- Health systems and physicians in federal and state false claims, Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark law matters.
- Hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities and other health care providers in disputes and litigation arising out of contracts with insurers, physicians, suppliers and others.
- Health care employers in disputes and litigation with physicians and other medical professionals.
- Restructuring, governance, regulatory guidance and contracting for an academic medical center.
- Facilities and providers in creating and updating compliance plans and administering compliance programs.
- Health care technology firms in corporate and regulatory matters.
- Hospital and other health care providers in antitrust litigation.
- Providers in connection with the HHS Office of the Inspector General investigations.
- Hospitals in connection with grand jury investigations conducted by the Department of Justice Antitrust Division.
- Hospitals, clinics and physicians in connection with post-trial proceedings and appeals from excess verdicts and punitive damage awards in medical malpractice litigation.
- Mergers and acquisitions of health care providers/payors
- Joint ventures and other hospital/physician integration and alignment strategies
- Federal and state health care fraud and abuse, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark law investigations
- Contract disputes involving physicians, hospitals, suppliers, contractors, employees, insurers and managed-care entities
- Regulatory compliance plans
- Health care antitrust litigation
- Insurance-related litigation
- Staff privileges litigation
- Medical board hearings
- Reimbursement disputes
- Non-competition issues
- Licensing matters
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 03.29.2021
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 03.28.2018
- Record Enforcement Activity in 2016 for FCPA, FCA, and BSA/AML Violations - Does it Mark an Upward Trajectory or the End of an Era?01.09.2017
- Michael G. VanBuren has joined Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP as a partner in the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences practice group10.31.2016
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 12.05.2018