Calfee’s Insurance Coverage practice group serves corporate insurance policyholder clients, in Ohio and nationwide. Our principal purpose for more than 25 years has been to help our clients protect against and mitigate risk through the use of insurance. We collaborate with and counsel our clients on all aspects of their insurance coverage legal needs. Our core values are: creativity, focusing on the issues that matter, and attentiveness to clients.
To help manage and minimize the risks, losses, and liabilities that pose threats to our clients, Calfee’s Insurance Coverage attorneys provide advisory and claims services. We assist our clients with the placement and enhancement of their insurance policies, reviews of their existing policies, shaping and pursuing claims to get losses paid by their insurance companies, negotiating resolutions to disputed insurance claims, litigating coverage lawsuits against their insurers, and finding solutions for insurance coverage issues in corporate M&A deals.
We have experience with a wide array of policy types, from newer products such as cyber and M&A representations and warranties insurance, to more traditional policy forms such as commercial general liability (CGL), umbrella, excess, property, D&O, professional liability, and EPL policies, to more specialized policies such as builder’s risk, liquor, and aviation.
Certified Insurance Law Specialist by the Ohio State Bar Association
The leader of Calfee’s Insurance Coverage practice, James Sullivan, is one of only 24 Ohio lawyers certified as insurance law specialists by the Ohio State Bar Association.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2020 Ranking in Insurance Law
Calfee was selected for inclusion to the U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" Rankings in Insurance Law in 2020 (National Tier 3, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland) and Litigation - Insurance (Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland).
- We help publicly traded, closely held, and private equity clients secure and negotiate representations and warranties insurance (RWI) to protect the value of their M&A deals.
- We provide advice to clients in M&A deals and other transactions concerning insurance and indemnification issues.
- We counsel clients’ risk management teams and work with brokers on insurance procurement and renewals and help clients maximize the scope of their coverage through customized endorsements to standard policy forms.
- We counsel clients and work with brokers to evaluate and negotiate specialized policy enhancements, including with respect to cyber, directors’ and officers’ (D&O), fiduciary, and employment practices liability (EPL) policies.
- We advise clients on best practices for tracking their insurance coverage assets and timely identifying and reporting losses and third-party claims to their insurance companies.
- We help clients identify insurable losses, provide effective notice and claim submissions to their insurers, address reservations of rights and denials issued by their insurers, and negotiate the resolution of coverage disputes with their insurers.
- We prosecute and defend insurance coverage lawsuits in state and federal trial and appellate courts nationwide, as well as in alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration and mediation.
- We review clients’ insurance portfolios and assess methods for maximizing the value of those assets, including by developing theories and models for triggering multiple policy years and securing full limits and sub-limits.
- We assist clients with insurance archaeology, finding and preserving historical insurance policies for long-tail liabilities spanning decades back to the mid-1900s, such as asbestos, silica, chemical exposure, and environmental.
- We analyze clients’ corporate histories and acquisition agreements to secure coverage under predecessors’ insurance policies for claims arising out of products sold by the predecessor corporations.
- We guide clients on issues involving large self-insured retentions, deductibles, retrospective premium arrangements and captive insurance programs.
- We counsel clients concerning relationships and agreements with insurance brokers.
- We advise and represent clients in matters involving insurance company insolvencies.
Our team frequently presents on various insurance coverage topics, including, most recently:
News & Events
- James Sullivan and Matt Chiricosta Co-Author an Article on the Importance of Directors & Officers Liability Insurance to Private CompaniesCleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 02.29.2020
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Akron Bar Association, 01.29.2019
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Health Care
- Individuals and Families
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Public Companies
- Retail and Consumer Products