Calfee’s Tort, Accident and Product Liability practice provides counsel for a wide range of organizations in the manufacturing, business, medical, legal and public utility communities.
Our attorneys assist public and privately held enterprises with the following:
- Prevention and handling of tort, accident and product liability matters
- Handling of mass tort/toxic tort claims and litigation
- Development and implementation of post-incident procedures
- Conducting periodic and systematic reviews of product instructions and warnings
- Counseling regarding consumer product representations, warranties, and regulations
- Identification and protection of potential uninsured exposure
- Litigation of claims through trial and appellate levels
The group handles all types of tort claims, including products liability, premises liability, negligence, strict liability, and intentional tort claims.
We have extensive experience with conduct-based tort claims on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants; litigating the standard of care in the medical, legal, accounting and architectural professions; and defending public utilities and other businesses in matters involving highly technical science and engineering-based issues.
Chambers USA Band 4 Ranking (Ohio)
For well over a decade, our Litigation group and individual litigation attorneys have been ranked and recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, an industry-leading legal resource for professionals in search of qualified, experienced legal counsel.
In 2018, Chambers USA researchers report that Calfee's Litigation group is known for frequently advising on "plaintiff and defense-side commercial litigation matters, offering considerable strengths in securities, product liability, antitrust and construction disputes... [they also offer] experience in criminal litigation, defending a range of individuals and businesses facing regulatory enforcement actions. [They act] for clients in sectors including healthcare, financial services and manufacturing."
Chambers researchers reported that sources describe Calfee's Litigation group as "highly responsive and their lawyers are really devoted to their clients’ interest. They're thoughtful, creative and they work hard.”
Chambers researchers further noted that peers commented, “The quality is very high across the board; it’s a wonderful group of lawyers.”
U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firm" Rankings
Calfee's Litigation group was selected for inclusion in the 2019 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S.News – Best Lawyers in America in several Litigation practice areas.
Benchmark Litigation Rankings
Calfee has been selected for inclusion by Benchmark Litigation 2019 as a "Recommended" litigation firm in Ohio. Several of Calfee's Litigation attorneys have been ranked as Leading Litigators by Benchmark Litigation 2019.
- Personal injury claims
- Wrongful death claims
- Property damage claims
- Products liability claims
- Mass tort/toxic tort claims
- Intentional tort claims
- Strict liability claims
- Professional Standard of Care Defense
- Underinsured and uninsured motorist claims
- Fraud investigations
- Excess exposure issues in litigation or coverage
Calfee attorneys operate in an environment conducive to a free-flowing exchange of information between attorney and the client, yet our attorneys are mindful of the need to maintain the protection from disclosure that the attorney/client privilege and/or work product doctrine provide. The actions of the group in counseling our clients at an early stage are designed to reduce subsequent legal costs and expenses and to place the client in the best position to defend against future claims.
Having in place a set procedure to receive and respond to notice of an incident can:
- Reduce the amount of time employees will have to spend searching for documents and information after an incident.
- Reduce defense costs.
- Reduce the risk of an adverse litigation result.