In addition to court appearances, Ron has conducted numerous hearings before the American Arbitration Association and is a member of the AAA’s panel of construction arbitrators.
As a member of the firm’s Construction practice group, Ron counsels and represents public and private owners, contractors and subcontractors in several different contexts related to various types of construction projects in and outside of Ohio. Ron’s representation has involved resolution of contract disputes, claims and lien litigation, and contract drafting and analysis. Ron has also presented at construction law seminars, speaking on construction claims, public contracting and related topics.
Ron also works with several of the firm’s practice groups to provide advice and representation to clients on a variety of issues pertaining to the enforcement of creditors’ rights, including bankruptcy adversary proceedings, attachment and garnishment proceedings, fraudulent transfer claims and debt collection issues.
Since joining Calfee in 2002, Ron has represented clients in numerous other areas as well, including business tort and serious accident litigation, TRO and preliminary injunction cases, municipal litigation, non-competition and nondisclosure disputes, environmental litigation, franchise and distribution litigation and many other areas of commercial and corporate litigation.
He also counsels corporate clients on various compliance issues such as government contracting and product regulation issues.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2022-2024)
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland State University College of Law, 2000
B.A., magna cum laude, Cleveland State University, 1996
- Representing a government entity against claims from a terminated construction company seeking alleged unpaid contract balances and delay costs.
- Obtained a high six-figure arbitration award for a subcontractor that was improperly terminated from a project by the general contractor and defeated a multi-million dollar counterclaim by the contractor.
- Defended nationwide retailer against a seven-figure claim for breach of a commercial lease terminated by the retailer, including obtaining an attorney fee award for the retailer.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar judgment against several individual and organizational members of a real estate group in connection with a commercial foreclosure.
- Obtained a judgment enforcing a commercial loan and guaranty, and an award of attorney fees, in connection with a mechanic’s lien dispute.
- Successfully resolved disputes involving several commercial leases impacted by COVID-19 closures.
- Successfully resolved environmental claims involving a Superfund site allegedly operated by a corporate predecessor.
- Defended large county hospital, in both court and arbitration proceedings, against claims by contractors and subcontractors arising from major hospital renovation.
- Defended lessee corporation against claims by lessor related to multi-year lease extensions entered with a corporate insider.
- Resolved dispute between excavating company and township related to cost overruns on a sewer installation project.
- Defended successful bidder on a large water treatment project against bid protest by competitor.
- Defended regional sewer district against claim by contractor for excess equipment and labor costs on a sewer cleaning project.
- Defended manufacturing company against intentional tort claim brought by employee injured by a punch press.
- Defended research and manufacturing company against claims by employee injured during use of mixing machine.
- Represented local manufacturing and distributing company in numerous claims against distributors, suppliers and customers nationwide.
- Successfully defended the priority of a mortgage for the insured of a local title company whose interest was challenged in foreclosure.
Presentations & Publications
Presentations & Publications
- “Updates on Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio (September 17, 2015)
- “Public Competitive Bidding Statuses and Bid Protests,” Lorman Education Service, Toledo, Ohio (October 10, 2014)
- “Updates on Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio (September 17, 2014)
- “Delay and Damage Provisions in Construction Contracts,” National Business Institute Seminar, Independence, Ohio (April 10, 2014)
- “Litigating Mechanic’s Liens,” Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus, Ohio (September 23, 2011)
- “Construction Claims,” Ohio State Bar Association Construction Law Forum, Columbus, Ohio (September 2, 2010, September 6, 2011, September 5, 2012, September 4, 2013)
- “Entering into Construction Contracts and Subcontracts,” Ohio Construction Law Seminar, Middleburg Heights, Ohio (December 8, 2010)
- “Case Law Updates: Rulings that Affect Your World,” Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z seminar, Worthington, Ohio (September 2, 2009, September 28, 2010, September 19, 2011, May 15, 2012, May 8, 2013)
- “Avoiding Liability Under Contracts,” Minimizing Engineering Liability Exposure seminar, Independence, Ohio (June 21, 2007)
- “The Kaminski Decision and Employment Intentional Torts: The End of the Saga?” Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Update (March 25, 2010)
- “Unraveling the New Value Defense, Counseling Clients Dealing with Insolvent Debtors, Part II,” Federal Bar Association Newsletter, Inter Alia (Winter 2006)
- Co-author, "Making the right calls after a job-site accident," Builders Exchange Magazine, Vol. 6, Issue 1 (2006)
- “Nice Creditors Finish Last? Counseling Clients Dealing with Insolvent Debtors, Part I,” Federal Bar Association Newsletter, Inter Alia (Summer 2005)
News & Events
- 93 Calfee Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Award Recipients; 6 Named “Lawyers of the Year”The Best Lawyers in America, 2024 edition,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Most, But Not All, of Contractor “Fair Pay” Rule Enjoined; Likely to Disappear Under President Trump
- Construction Litigation
- Construction Law
- Business, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Business Restructuring and Insolvency
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court