Calfee takes a multidisciplinary approach to advising clients on the construction process, drawing from a diverse pool of talent to meet the individual needs of each client.
Our construction attorneys understand more than the necessary contracts for a given project. We assist in the strategic development of all phases of the project – from development, site selection, contract draftsmanship and administration to performance issues and contract completion.
We provide experienced, hands-on and cost-effective legal counsel to the construction industry at all levels, including owners, public entities, all levels of contractors, project managers, consultants and design professionals.
Calfee’s attorneys also have substantial experience in the various forms of dispute resolution – negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation – which helps inform our decisions and protect our clients’ interests throughout the life of the project.
U.S.News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion to the 2020 U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" report for Construction Law and Construction Litigation (Metropolitan Cleveland rankings).
Representative Construction Matters
- Represented owner in selection of design professionals, preparation of contract documents, bidding process, construction administration and project closeout in a theater complex and a historic office building renovation – both multi-million-dollar projects finished on time and under budget.
- Prepared and negotiated subcontracts on behalf of both subcontractors and contractors.
- Represented design professional in preparation of services agreement with developer.
- Prepared and negotiated design-build agreements on behalf of owners and developers.
- Prepared bid and construction documents for water, sewer and road projects.
- Prepared bid and construction documents for projects as small as renovation of township hall and as large as 30-story office building.
- Represented design professionals in contract dispute matters and in matters alleging deviations from generally accepted standards of performance.
Representative Construction Litigation Matters
- Represented owners, architects, engineers, project managers and general contractors in successful defense of a variety of claims in litigation and arbitrations involving major urban office, highway, sewer and water treatment plant projects.
- Represented subcontractors in multiple arbitrations, mechanic’s lien actions and a foreclosure suit involving a large downtown Cleveland retail expansion.
- Represented international engineering and construction firm involved in litigation with joint venture partner, insurer and project owner over design and construction of coke oven.
- Represented mortgagee-lenders and owners in prosecution and defense of major foreclosure proceedings involving a wide variety of large commercial structures, including office buildings, hotels and manufacturing facilities.
- Represented multiple lenders in complex foreclosure of hotel property involving related bankruptcy and counterclaims alleging lender liability.
- Represented court-appointed receivers in management of large suburban office properties in foreclosure.
- Represented subcontractor in mechanic’s lien foreclosure action and successful resolution of claims involving construction of a skyscraper in downtown Chicago.
- Represented real estate management companies in litigation against the United States involving General Services Administration (GSA) leases.
- Represented municipalities in defense of claims for delay and additional work in multi-million-dollar sewer and water improvement projects.
- Represented school district in defense of claims by non-performing contractor in asbestos abatement project.
- Negotiated favorable resolution of damage claim arising from alleged defective design and construction of curtain wall on 67-story office tower.
- Represented a general contractor in disputes related to the construction of a municipal complex and a middle school facility.
- Represented a power plant owner in a $175 million dispute against a global engineering firm
- Represented public entities in disputes against general contractors.
- Defended a government entity against claims related to the deaths of four workers on a construction project.
- Arbitrated and mediated numerous other disputes, including the conversion of a historic warehouse facility into condominiums and disputes related to new construction of convention centers.
- Selection of contract documents
- Contract draftsmanship
- Contract administration
- Negotiation of change orders
- Construction arbitration and litigation
- Real property ownership insurance and transfer litigation
- Complex commercial foreclosures and receiverships
- General Services Administration lease administration and litigation
News & Events
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Stan Dobrowski Presented at the Annual Conference of the National Association of College and University Attorneys07.27.2016
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Energy and Utilities
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology