Matt has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation, and he represents clients regularly in state and federal courts, as well as in negotiations, mediations and arbitrations. His trial experience includes construction, tort, trade secret, merger and acquisition, and other business matters.
In addition to his dispute resolution work, Matt also counsels clients in connection with matters and transactions involving construction and/or insurance-coverage issues. He is experienced at drafting and negotiating contract documents and other documents for both private and public construction projects. He also has experience drafting insurance procurement requirements, indemnification agreements and other risk-transfer provisions in contracts, and he regularly advises clients regarding insurance coverage issues in a variety of other contexts. He speaks regularly at seminars and other public forums concerning construction, insurance and product liability issues.
Benchmark Litigation named Matt a "Local Litigation Star – Ohio" in the areas of Construction, Insurance and Product Liability and Recall (2019-2022). Matt has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2022) in the areas of Construction Law and Litigation - Insurance. Additionally, he has been selected to the Ohio Super Lawyers list from 2013-2022, and he has been selected for inclusion to the "Top 100 Attorneys in Ohio" list and the "Top 50 Attorneys in Cleveland" list by Ohio Super Lawyers.
Matt is a member of both the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law and the John M. Manos Inn of Court.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star – Ohio, Construction, Insurance, Product Liability and Recall (2019-2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law and Litigation - Insurance (2018-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2013-2022)
- Top 100 Attorneys in Ohio List
- Top 50 Attorneys in Cleveland List
J.D., with honors, The Ohio State University College of Law, 1997
B.A., summa cum laude, Kent State University, 1994
- Representation of business and public clients in construction law matters, including construction litigation and arbitration, as well construction contract drafting and other counseling.
- Defense of product liability, premises liability, toxic tort, wrongful death and other tort claims asserted against business clients, including steel mills, utility companies and other publicly traded and privately held companies.
- Representation of business clients in insurance coverage litigation and other disputes arising under many types of insurance policies, including general liability policies, director and officer liability policies, environmental liability policies, excess and umbrella policies, builder’s risk insurance policies and property insurance policies.
- Provide insurance coverage counseling in connection with insurance procurement and other transactions involving insurance coverage issues.
- Representation of clients in connection with business disputes involving a variety of different types of issues and claims, including: merger and acquisition litigation, commercial contract claims, trade secret claims, business tort claims, litigation involving constitutionality of Ohio gambling laws and regulations and litigation of disputes involving oil and natural gas leases.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- American Bar Association, Forum on Construction Law, Member
- John M. Manos Inn of Court, Member
- The Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District, Life Member
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Benchmark Litigation,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Benchmark Litigation,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Super Lawyers,
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Thirty-Seven Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court