Calfee’s Insurance Recovery lawyers serve corporate insurance policyholder clients, in Ohio and nationwide. For over 25 years, we have helped our clients secure money from their insurance companies to cover their losses and liabilities. Our core values of creativity, focusing on the issues that matter, and attentiveness to clients guide our insurance recovery efforts in discerning the path of least resistance to maximize insurance dollars.
Our mission is to find and secure the most insurance dollars to cover our clients’ losses and liabilities. We get money for our clients from their insurers for first-party losses, liabilities to third parties, and the cost of defending against third-party claims.
Our insurance recovery services include identifying insurance assets to provide coverage, developing and presenting coverage claims to insurance companies, negotiating resolutions to insurance coverage disputes both directly and through mediation, and litigating against insurance companies in state and federal courts nationwide and in alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration.
Insurance coverage law is a labyrinthine world unto itself. Having deeply immersed ourselves in this craft, we possess specialized knowledge of and experience with most forms of insurance, as well as the nuances of the sometimes perplexing laws, language, procedures, and customs surrounding insurance coverage claims.
We routinely face the maneuvers used by insurers that typically give them the upper hand when dealing with a policyholder who lacks coverage counsel, and we are steeped in the tools available to anticipate, respond to, and neutralize those efforts and shift the balance in the policyholder’s favor.
Certified Insurance Law Specialist by Ohio State Bar Association
The leader of Calfee’s Insurance Coverage Practice, James Sullivan, is one of only 24 Ohio lawyers certified as insurance law specialists by the Ohio State Bar Association.
U.S.News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" Rankings 2020
Calfee was selected for inclusion to U.S.News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2020 rankings in Insurance Law (National Tier 3, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland) and Litigation - Insurance (Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland).
Benchmark Litigation Rankings
Calfee has been selected for inclusion by Benchmark Litigation 2020 as a "Recommended" litigation firm in Ohio. Several of Calfee's Litigation attorneys have been ranked as Leading Litigators by Benchmark Litigation 2020.
Experienced with most types of insurance policies, our Insurance Recovery attorneys have helped our clients secure insurance coverage totaling hundreds of millions of dollars for many kinds of losses and liabilities, including:
- Property and business interruption
- Commercial vehicle
- Key executive life insurance
- Breaches of M&A representations and warranties
- Defense costs for third-party claims
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Construction defects
- Commercial general liability (including bodily injury, property damage, personal injury, and advertising liability)
- Product liability
- Chemical exposures, including asbestos, benzene, and silica
- Aviation accidents
- Employment practices
- Sexual misconduct
- Health and disability
- Professional liability
- Fiduciary liability
- Private equity fund liability
- Commercial crime
- Special events
We represent public and private companies, private equity funds, captive insurance programs, and individual policyholders in evaluating and maximizing insurance coverage and in handling insurance disputes ranging in magnitude from thousands of dollars to hundreds of millions of dollars.
Our approach to recovering money from insurance companies involves working closely with our clients’ chief financial officers, corporate risk managers, in-house counsel, outside defense counsel, and insurance brokers.
News & Events
- James Sullivan and Matt Chiricosta Co-Author an Article on the Importance of Directors & Officers Liability Insurance to Private CompaniesCleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 02.29.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal , 02.16.2019
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- James Sullivan to Speak at Faith-Based Security Summit – Emergency Planning Workshop – Greater Cleveland11.20.2017
- Ransomware and Cyber Extortion: Are These Cybercrimes Covered Under Your Cyber Risk Insurance Policy?05.18.2017
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Energy and Utilities
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology
- Trade Associations