Calfee’s Tax Litigation practice provides representation for companies and individuals before county boards of revision, the Ohio Tax Commissioner, Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, Ohio Supreme Court, and United States Tax Court.
We advocate for our clients on matters that include real property tax complaints and exemptions, sales and use tax assessments and exemptions, public utility tax assessments, municipal income taxes, tax refund litigation, audits and federal administrative proceedings.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2022 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in Tax Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland) and numerous Litigation practice areas.
Benchmark Litigation Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion by Benchmark Litigation 2022 as a Highly Recommended Law Firm in Dispute Resolution and as a Recommended Law Firm in Labor and Employment Litigation in Ohio. Additionally, 14 of Calfee's Litigation attorneys have been ranked by Benchmark Litigation as "Local Litigation Stars in Ohio" and as “40 & Under Hot List Honorees in the Midwest.”
- Assisted property owners in reducing the assessed value of their real property by pursuing complaints filed with county boards of revision and, when necessary, pursuing appeals to the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals and Ohio Supreme Court.
- Obtained Board of Tax Appeals decision reducing client’s public utility property taxes by more than $25 million by successfully introducing alternative valuation rebutting presumption accorded tax commissioner’s standard valuation method.
- Successfully argued state preemption of municipal income tax assessment against motor transportation company before Ohio Board of Tax Appeals and on appeal to Ohio Supreme Court, Panther II Transp., Inc. v. Seville Bd. of Income Tax Rev., 138 Ohio St.3d 495, 2014-Ohio-1011.
- Represented clients in personal income tax litigation cases in U.S. Tax Court.
- Represented clients concerning audits involving federal and state personal income taxes, the Commercial Activity Tax, and sales and use taxes.
- Litigated sales and use tax exemptions before the Board of Tax Appeals and Ohio courts, including the employment service exemption and transportation-for-hire exemption.
- Represented clients seeking property tax exemptions before the Ohio Tax Commissioner.
- Tax refund litigation
- U.S. Tax Court proceedings
- State tax administrative proceedings and litigation
- Real property tax valuation litigation
- Real property tax exemption litigation
- Sales and use tax audits and litigation
- CAT tax audits and litigation
News & Events
- Calfee's Estate and Succession Planning and Administration Practice and Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in Ohio in Chambers High Net Worth 2022 GuideChambers High Net Worth 2022 Guide,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Regional Rankings in 2022 U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- Benchmark Litigation,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Individuals and Families
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology
- Trade Associations