The use of business structures designed to take advantage of flexible “pass through” tax benefits afforded to certain entities under federal and state tax laws has increased significantly in recent years. This has resulted in the need for transactional attorneys capable of addressing the unique organizational and tax issues faced by partnerships, limited liability companies, joint ventures, and their partners and members.
Calfee attorneys are experienced in all phases of the formation, capitalization and fundraising, taxation, and governance of partnerships, limited liability companies and joint ventures. Our attorneys have the experience and knowledge needed to assist in creating and managing businesses structured as partnerships, LLCs and joint ventures in order to most effectively meet their needs and goals.
- Represented promoters of private equity/venture capital funds that raised in excess of $500 million in investment capital during the past three years.
- Designed and documented joint venture arrangements between major national real estate investment fund and its management advisers, providing parties with desired tax benefits and decision‑making flexibility.
- Formed numerous “fund-of-funds” entities for investment advisory firms, permitting the clients of such firms to invest in investment funds and ventures not otherwise accessible to them.
- Represented Cleveland Tomorrow in connection with the formation and capitalization of three development partnerships that have provided funding for significant Cleveland development projects, including Gateway, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Browns Stadium, and over 25 downtown and neighborhood retail and housing projects.
- Counseled clients regarding the formation of numerous family partnerships and LLCs, including handling of tax issues and documentation requirements.
- Structured and documented complex partnership distribution and contribution program to enable partners of real estate partnership to take advantage of tax‑deferred exchange provisions.
What are the advantages of using a limited liability company (LLC)?
An LLC provides the best of both the corporate world and the partnership world. Like corporation shareholders, the owners of an LLC (who are referred to as “members”) are insulated from liabilities for the debts and of the business. While most corporations are subject to a double layer of taxation (one at the entity level and a second at the shareholder level), LLCs generally are treated as partnerships for tax purposes, resulting in a single layer of taxation (at the member level). This combination of limited liability and “pass-through” tax treatment, together with the flexibility afforded LLCs to tailor management and economic sharing arrangements to fit their business needs, makes the LLC the preferred choice of entities for many businesses.
News & Events
- SEC Commissioner Hester M. Peirce Provides Insights as Guest Speaker on The Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context01.19.2021
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- MCM Capital, 10.20.2020
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Queen City Angels, 05.28.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Business and Fund Formation
- Commercial and Public Finance
- Commercial Finance
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Capital Markets
- Emerging Companies and Venture Capital
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- Estate and Succession Planning and Administration
- Federal Government Relations and Policy
- Government Relations and Legislation
- Health Care Litigation
- Health Care Regulation
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Patent Prosecution
- Privacy and Data Security
- Real Estate Litigation
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tax Litigation
- Technology Transfer
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation
- Trademark Law
- Wealth Management
- White-Collar Defense and Investigations