The energy industry is being impacted by rapid and disruptive changes faced in today’s environment. We are witnessing a wholesale shift away from fossil fuel generation to renewables, very low natural gas prices, changing environmental regulations, the growth of microgrids and distributed generation, and heightened interest in regional transmission and reliability. Combined, these changes are influencing state and federal energy policy and prompting regulatory action. This activity can create opportunities for entities that proactively plan.
At Calfee we provide our clients with strategic support based on decades of experience, a track record of success at the state and federal levels, public policy advocacy and deep transactional experience. Our lawyers include a former utility regulator and general counsel, former Director of the Ohio EPA, and several other attorneys with decades of experience – both in house and as outside counsel – handling the full range of issues confronting energy companies, utilities and large consumers of energy.
Our clients have included a broad range of investor-owned utilities, municipal utilities, regional transmission organizations, telecommunications entities, pipeline companies, coal companies, investors, lenders, renewable resource developers, and utility customers.
Calfee provides a broad range of legal services to the energy industry that include regulatory, government relations, construction, transactional, environmental, intellectual property, real estate finance and litigation counseling and representation.
Public Utilities, Energy and Telecommunications Litigation
Calfee represents public utilities, municipalities, cooperatives, and other interested parties before regulatory agencies and in state and federal courts. We have represented electric utilities, municipal utilities, natural gas distribution companies, intrastate natural gas pipelines, local telephone and cellular telecommunications carriers, brokers, and industrial customers.
Calfee has experience with all aspects of the environmental compliance requirements associated with the energy industry. From the permitting requirements associated with obtaining the raw materials for energy production to the compliance requirements associated with distribution, Calfee can provide a full range of environmental compliance counseling for the energy industry.
Calfee’s Corporate and Finance attorneys have a broad spectrum of transactional experience with energy companies, including electric power, oil and gas producers, coal companies (both surface mining and deep hole), and ash reclamation. Members of the group have assisted energy industry clients with legal matters that include acquisitions, financings, leases, purchase agreements, tax planning, due diligence and compliance.
Government Relations and Legislation
Calfee’s Government Relations and Legislation practice group provides a unique perspective into the highly regulated energy arena. Whether our clients require legislative lobbying, regulatory and technical experience or execution of administrative matters, our experienced attorneys offer years of experience and knowledge-based relationships in the energy industry developed from years of legal representation and lobbying on energy issues.
Calfee clients benefit from our strengths when analyzing governmental issues, developing and executing successful strategies, and adding unique insight ranging from the General Assembly to the PUCO. We work together to resolve our clients’ issues involving the executive and legislative branches of government, as well as commissions, authorities and other special purpose entities.
Calfee has successfully represented energy industry clients in a myriad of litigation matters involving complex contract and commercial disputes, government investigations, employment and labor matters, real estate and environmental disputes, class action litigation and ERISA claims. Calfee also has extensive experience representing energy industry clients in tort, accident and product liability claims including asbestos and toxic tort defense. Calfee works closely with clients to aggressively prevent, resolve and defend litigation matters at all phases of a dispute to reach the best business resolution for our clients.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office will, on petition, accord "special" status to all patent applications for inventions that materially contribute to:
- The discovery or development of energy resources (i.e., developments in fossil fuels such as natural gas, coal, and petroleum; hydrogen fuel technologies; nuclear energy; solar energy, etc.); or
- The more efficient utilization and conservation of energy resources (i.e., inventions relating to the reduction of energy consumption in combustion systems, industrial equipment, household appliances, etc.).
Calfee’s patent attorneys are skilled in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications for energy and energy-related inventions. The Group includes patent attorneys with degrees in physics, electrical engineering, chemistry and chemical engineering, and mechanical engineering. In addition to their technical education backgrounds, many of our patent attorneys have spent time working in their technical fields as engineers and scientists prior to becoming patent attorneys.
Calfee’s real estate attorneys represent developers, investors and syndicators, institutional lenders, individuals and corporate clients in connection with matters related to the acquisition, disposition, construction, development, leasing and financing of property assets, including the acquisition of mineral interests by fee or lease.
In addition to conventional transactions, our practice encompasses the formation of investment syndications, joint ventures and tax-advantaged investment arrangements, the structuring of synthetic leases and tax-deferred exchanges, and the representation of clients in complex multisite and multistate transactions.
Calfee takes a multidisciplinary approach to energy construction projects tailoring its advice to the specific needs of the client. Calfee has been involved with advising and drafting contract documents, assisting in contract administration, and representing clients in contract disputes in all phases of energy related construction.
Calfee has assisted clients with new construction, scheduled outages, transmission issues, alternate energy projects, including wind and gasification, and power generation systems and storage. Calfee attorneys are sensitive to assessing risk in all phases of a project and are additionally sensitive to cost issues. This broad range of experience on varied types of energy project informs our decisions and protects our clients’ interests throughout the life of a project.
News & Events
- Calfee's Estate and Succession Planning and Administration Practice and Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in Ohio in Chambers High Net Worth 2021 GuideChambers High Net Worth 2021 Guide, 07.22.2021
- Crain's Cleveland Business, 06.25.2021
- Calfee Labor and Employment Attorney Jason Dejelo Quoted in Crain's Article, "How HB 352 Shapes Employment Litigation in Ohio"Crain's Cleveland Business, 06.20.2021
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold Named a Leading Law Firm by Chambers USA 2021 With 10 Practice Rankings and 27 Attorney RankingsChambers USA 2021: America's Leading Business Lawyers, 05.26.2021
- Energy Law360, 05.06.2021
- Calfee Partner James Sullivan Interviewed for Law.com Article About Ohio Supreme Court Insurance Coverage Case Stemming From Pandemic-Related Business LossesLaw.com, 04.27.2021
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Cable Manufacturing & Assembly, Inc. in its Sale to Torque Capital Group04.19.2021
- James Sullivan Featured in Two Articles About COVID-19 Business Interruption Coverage Litigation in Business Insurance and Claims Journal PublicationsBusiness Insurance and Claims Journal, 04.16.2021
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 03.29.2021
- Calfee's James Sullivan Featured in Two Articles Discussing COVID-19 Business Interruption InsuranceClaims Journal and Carrier Management, 03.04.2021
- World Trademark Review 1000 Recognizes Calfee Partner Raymond Rundelli as "Top Trademark Attorney" in USWorld Trademark Review 1000, 02.11.2021
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 10.2020
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Taps Seasoned Energy Lawyer Phillip Casey To Lead Public Utility Regulatory Practice, Opens Indianapolis Office11.11.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- Phillip A. Casey to Speak on Net Metering at "Let's Talk Solar!" Program on August 13, 2020, Hosted by Jefferson ElectricIndianapolis, Indiana, 08.13.2020
- Calfee Connections, 07.14.2021
- Calfee Connections, 05.03.2021
- The DOL’s Cybersecurity Guidance for Employee Benefit Plan Sponsors, Fiduciaries, Recordkeepers, Participants and BeneficiariesCalfee Connections, 04.19.2021
- Ohio Supreme Court to Issue Opinion on Central Issue for COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance ClaimsCalfee Connections, 04.15.2021
- Calfee Connections, 04.12.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.24.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.10.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.05.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.03.2021
- Calfee Connections, 01.27.2021
- Calfee NOW Episode 10 With Marty McGann, Executive Vice President, Advocacy & Strategic Initiatives With the Greater Cleveland PartnershipCalfee Connections, 12.17.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.16.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.10.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.04.2020
- Calfee Connections, 11.18.2020
- Calfee Connections, 11.02.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.30.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.29.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.27.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.06.2020
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Commercial Contracts
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Finance
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Energy and Utilities Law
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Divestitures and Sales
- Public Finance
- Public Law
- Public Law Litigation
- Public Utilities, Energy and Telecommunications Litigation
- Public Utility Regulatory – State
- Real Estate Law
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation