Mike works with clients on complex health care matters including joint ventures, hospital-physician integration transactions, practice acquisitions, physician employment agreements, reimbursement issues and Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance. He also provides day-to-day corporate counseling to clients outside of the health care sector, with a focus on negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, including general terms and conditions of sale and purchase, services arrangements, supply and distribution agreements, marketing agreements, and confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, along with appropriate contract risk mitigation strategies. Mike’s role is to protect clients’ business and strategic objectives and interests while also disarming unproductive conflict and helping guide matters towards a productive and successful outcome. He works collaboratively with leaders and front-line employees to provide advice that is practical, useful and timely.
Mike also counsels clients on navigating federal and state campaign finance, lobbying registration and tax-exempt organization requirements and laws governing electioneering activities. He advises tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations on formation, governance and transactional matters, working closing with organizational leaders to be mindful of the organizations’ missions while also recommending steps to help guard the organizations’ status.
Mike is a frequent author and speaker as well as an active member of the community.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law (2021-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2013-2020)
- Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce, "30 For The Future" Young Professional (2015)
J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Editor-in-Chief, Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine, 2007
M.A., George Washington University School of Political Management, 2004
B.A., cum laude, Vanderbilt University, 2002
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- American Health Lawyers Association, Physician Organizations Practice Group, Vice-Chair Member Engagement
- Society for Ohio Health Care Attorneys (Ohio Hospital Association), Director, Northeast District
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Health Law Section, Chair
- Summit County Community Partnership, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Western Reserve Academy, Alumni Association Board, Vice President
- Akron Bar Association Health Law Section, Past Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy, Participant (2016)
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Super Lawyers,
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal,
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- CMS Adjusts “PFS Relativity Adjuster” Further Downwards for Non-Excepted Off-Campus Provider-Based Hospital Departments
- Lack of a Written Business Associate Agreement with a Vendor and Careless Handling of HIV Information Result in Significant Settlements
- Record Enforcement Activity in 2016 for FCPA, FCA, and BSA/AML Violations - Does it Mark an Upward Trajectory or the End of an Era?
- Michael G. VanBuren has joined Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP as a partner in the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences practice group
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association,