Mike works with clients on complex health care matters including joint ventures, hospital-physician integration transactions, practice acquisitions, physician employment agreements, reimbursement issues and Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance. Mike’s role is to protect clients’ business and strategic objectives and interests while also disarming unproductive conflict and helping guide matters towards a productive and successful outcome. He works collaboratively with leaders and front-line employees to provide advice that is practical, useful and timely. Mike also counsels clients on navigating federal and state campaign finance, lobbying registration and tax-exempt organization requirements and laws governing electioneering activities. He advises tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations on formation, governance and transactional matters, working closing with organizational leaders to be mindful of the organizations’ missions while also recommending steps to help guard the organizations’ status.
Mike is a frequent author and speaker as well as an active member of the community.
In 2018, Mike was selected to participate in the American Health Lawyers Association Leadership Development Program. He participated in the 2016 Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy.
He joined Calfee in 2016.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2013-2020
Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce, "30 For The Future" Young Professional, 2015
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Richard A. and Brandon S. Collier Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Law-Medicine Curriculum
J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Editor-in-Chief, Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine, 2007
M.A., George Washington University School of Political Management, 2004
B.A., cum laude, Vanderbilt University, 2002
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
American Health Lawyers Association, Physician Organizations Practice Group, Vice-Chair Member Engagement
Society for Ohio Health Care Attorneys (Ohio Hospital Association), Director, Northeast District
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Health Law Section, Secretary
Summit County Community Partnership, Chair, Board of Trustees
Western Reserve Academy, Alumni Association Board, Vice President
Akron Bar Association Health Law Section, Past Chair
Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy, Participant, 2016
News & Events
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 03.28.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- CMS Adjusts “PFS Relativity Adjuster” Further Downwards for Non-Excepted Off-Campus Provider-Based Hospital Departments11.14.2017
- Lack of a Written Business Associate Agreement with a Vendor and Careless Handling of HIV Information Result in Significant Settlements05.26.2017
- Record Enforcement Activity in 2016 for FCPA, FCA, and BSA/AML Violations - Does it Mark an Upward Trajectory or the End of an Era?01.09.2017
- Michael G. VanBuren has joined Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP as a partner in the firm’s Health Care and Life Sciences practice group10.31.2016
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 12.05.2018