Since 1988, Calfee’s Government Relations and Legislation practice has been respected for its political savvy and effectiveness, legal expertise, honesty, and relationships with all levels of local, state and federal government on both sides of the political aisle.
Calfee’s Government Relations and Legislation team spans across the Midwest and nationally, including Washington, D.C. We are continuously building and strengthening relationships with key decision makers, from legislative aides to top lawmakers and officials, to advocate for our clients and work with them to provide sophisticated solutions for their business needs.
Many of our lawyers and lobbyists have formerly served in governmental positions, including capacities such as the mayor of a major city, director of a state cabinet-level agency, and member of the U.S. Congress. Our collective knowledge and experiences allow us to analyze the law and political climate, anticipate how it may affect businesses, and execute a plan that will help clients communicate and work effectively with all levels of government.
As one of the top law firms in Ohio, Calfee lobbyists also have the legal background and immediate resources of lawyers in offices across the state and in Washington, D.C. who provide a variety of specialized services. We are able to analyze the law for our clients, anticipate how it may impact their business, and strategize and execute a plan of action.
Our Government Relations team frequently works in conjunction with our wholly owned subsidiary, Calfee Strategic Solutions, a government relations and public affairs firm that helps clients achieve their business objectives through strong relationships with key decision makers in Ohio, Kentucky, and Washington, D.C.
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2020 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S.News –Best Lawyers in America for Government Relations practice (Metropolitan Tier 1 Columbus).
Although many of the professionals in Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation group are attorneys, the non-licensed professionals in this group are affiliated with Calfee Strategic Solutions LLC (CSS). CSS is not a law firm and is not authorized to engage in the practice of law. Accordingly, its advice should not be regarded as legal advice, and its services should not be considered the practice of law.
Calfee is proud to lobby for clients such as:
- Alliance for Automotive Innovation
- Case Western Reserve University
- FirstEnergy Corp.
- Gilead Sciences
- JACK Entertainment
- Ohio Apartment Association
- RPM International Inc.
We act as zealous advocates for all clients across various industries, including:
- Banking, financial services and insurance
- Environmental and natural resources
- Gaming and hospitality
- Health care
- Higher education
- Real estate
- Retail organizations
Calfee partners with our clients to deliver superior services that result in success, including:
- Develop legislative strategy
- Draft legislation
- Prepare testimony
- Build legislative support
- Testify before legislative committees
- Foster legislative relationships with clients
- Monitor legislative activity
Executive Agency Lobbying
- Develop lobbying strategy
- Prepare supporting materials and briefings
- Foster executive agency relationships with clients
Public Policy Advocacy
- Analyze policy and political perspectives
- Develop grass-roots support
- Create coalitions among stakeholders
- Coordinate and analyze media and public relations
Government Contract / Executive Agency Procurement
- Monitor procurement opportunities
- Develop business relationships
- Support State Term Schedule applications
- Counsel on competitive bid requirements
- Assist with public records requests
- Truth-In-Negotiations Act issues
- Buy American / Buy Ohio
- Specification requirements
Agency Regulatory Matters
- Analyze regulations
- Prepare legal and political arguments
- Attend hearings on behalf of clients
- Ensure Executive Order compliance
- Assist with permit and licensing regulations and applications
- Develop compatible required legislation
Administrative Rule-Making Process
- Monitor administrative agencies
- Draft administrative rules
- Impact rule-making process
- Represent clients in public and administrative hearings
Political Action Committees (PACs)
- Review laws and regulations
- Develop strategies for PAC contributions
- Facilitate legal formation
- Handle regulatory functions
- Monitor campaign finance limitations
7.20.2020 – Webinar With U.S. Congressman Troy Balderson
U.S. Congressman Troy Balderson (R-OH, 12th District) joined Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), for a conversation about federal economic recovery and stimulus legislation, including the CARES Act, the Paycheck Protection Program and other small business-related relief, and transportation and infrastructure initiatives. Leah Pappas Porner, (Chair, Calfee's Government Relations & Legislation practice) provided introductory remarks.
6.23.2020 – Webinar With U.S. Congressman Dave Joyce
U.S. Congressman Dave Joyce (R-OH, 14th District) joined John Mino (Partner, Calfee Corporate and Capital Markets) and Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), to discuss the federal government’s ongoing actions to address the COVID pandemic and give an update from the Appropriations Committee.
6.17.2020 – Webinar With J.P. Nauseef, President & Chief Executive Officer of JobsOhio
J.P. Nauseef, President and Chief Executive Officer of JobsOhio, joined Tim Day, Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions, and Leah Pappas Porner, Chair, Calfee's Government Relations & Legislation practice, to discuss the JobsOhio plan to get Ohioans back to work following the COVID-19 pandemic and the JobsOhio investment in innovation districts across the state.
6.15.2020 – An Analysis of Ohio's COVID-19 Immunity Legislation With Senator John Eklund
Calfee attorneys Michael VanBuren (Partner, Health Care Regulation), Matthew Mendoza (Partner, Litigation) and moderator Raymond Tarasuck (Senior Counsel, Government Relations & Legislation) were joined by Senator John Eklund, Chair of the Ohio Senate’s Judiciary Committee for a discussion and analysis of Ohio's COVID-19 Immunity Legislation.
6.11.2020 – Webinar With Ohio Treasurer Robert Sprague
Leah Pappas Porner (Chair, Government Relations and Legislation) and Blake Beachler (Practice Leader, Public Finance) were joined by Ohio Treasurer Robert Sprague where they discussed the impact of COVID-19 on the state of financial systems, the fiscal health of the State of Ohio and local governments, and the initiatives the Treasurer is working on to help individuals, businesses and government entities weather this crisis.
6.09.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley and Former Mayor Charlie Luken
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley was joined by former Cincinnati Mayor Charlie Luken (Senior Counsel, Calfee Government Relations & Legislation) for a discussion regarding leading through unrest on the heels of a pandemic.
6.02.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cuyahoga County Executive Armond Budish
Cuyahoga County Executive Armond Budish joined Ray Tarasuck and Michael Bowen, attorneys with Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group for a discussion regarding Cuyahoga County’s response to COVID-19.
5.21.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With U.S. Congressman Anthony Gonzalez
U.S. Congressman Anthony Gonzalez (R-Rocky River) joined John Mino and Brent Pietrafese (Partners, Calfee Corporate and Capital Markets) and Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), to discuss the early challenges of the CARES Act, including PPP loan eligibility and forgiveness issues, and Anthony's vision to restart the economy.
5.06.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson
Brent Ballard, Calfee Managing Partner, and Ray Tarasuck and Michael Bowen, attorneys with Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group, hosted a webinar roundtable discussion with Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson where the Mayor discussed the city's strategic COVID-19 Recovery Plan.
4.29.2020 – Webinar With Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Neil Bradley of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Tim Day, Principal, Federal Government Relations and Policy with Calfee Strategic Solutions, hosted a webinar discussion with U.S. Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) and Neil Bradley, Executive Vice President and Chief Policy Officer of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce where they discussed COVID-19 funding and the role technology is playing in our economy.
4.24.2020 – Webinar With Ohio State Senator Matt Huffman
Leah Pappas Porner, Chair, and Josh Sanders, Vice Chair of Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group, hosted a roundtable discussion webinar with Ohio State Senator Matt Huffman in which he discussed the Senate’s efforts to help Ohio through the COVID-19 crisis, including steps the Chamber has already taken and efforts they are currently pursuing for future legislative action.
News & Events
- Charlie Luken Opinion: I Was the Mayor of Cincinnati When We Reformed Our Police Department Following Racial Unrest – and Crime Has Since TumbledMarketWatch, 07.09.2020
- Calfee's Charlie Luken and Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley Roundtable Discussion Featured in News Outlets06.10.2020
- The National Black Lawyers, 05.05.2020
- Cincy Magazine, 01.30.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Who's Who in Black Cleveland , 06.18.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Calfee Hosts Webinar With Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Neil Bradley of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce04.30.2020
- Columbus, OH, 04.24.2020
- Mayor Frank G. Jackson Delivers His State of the City Highlighting Cleveland's Economic Accomplishments10.11.2019
- Report on Government: Republican Mike DeWine Wins Governor’s Race and Republicans Maintain Firm Control Over Statewide Offices11.07.2018
- Report on Ohio Government - April 2016: Kasich Heads to Marietta to deliver State of the State Address04.07.2016
- Report on Ohio Government - March 2016: Kasich Does Well in Ohio; Trump and Clinton Look to Sweep the Rest03.17.2016
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Energy and Utilities
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Individuals and Families
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology
- Trade Associations