Josh works on legislative, agency and executive projects for a number of Fortune 500 companies as well as emerging bio-tech. His experience is varied, from working with the Department of Commerce to obtain liquor permits to the obtainment of funds to complex state revisions in the state budget.
Josh has extensive legislative experience in the areas of alcohol, tobacco, transportation, gaming, pharmaceuticals, bio-tech, construction, energy, labor, telecommunications and education.
Josh also has directed a number of grass-roots projects aimed at both state and federal elected officials while also working directly on campaigns for numerous candidates.
Josh lobbied throughout the Midwest for both the largest smokeless tobacco manufacturer and the world’s leading premium drinks business. This combination of state government knowledge and corporate culture understanding allows Josh to produce results for his clients.
Josh started his career as a Legislative Service Commission Fellow learning the ways of the Ohio Senate. He then furthered his state government knowledge as a legislative liaison for the Ohio Department of Commerce. This firsthand experience allows Josh to help his clients navigate the complexities and hurdles found in the legislative and agency arenas.
Josh also brings an in-depth understanding of the needs and responsibilities of his corporate clients in the government relations field and especially to those handling a multi-state region.
He has been a presenter at the Crain’s Cleveland Business Breakfast Series as well as at the Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy. Josh has also presented at the International Council of Shopping Centers Retail Development & Law Symposium.
Josh serves as chair of the Calfee Jewish Lawyers affinity group, and he is a member of the firm's Diversity and Inclusion group. Josh joined Calfee in February 2011 and was elected Partner in 2013. He began serving as Vice Chair of the Government Relations and Legislation practice group in 2020.
Honors & Recognitions
- Columbus Jewish News, Super Attorney (2019)
- Ohio Lobbying Association, Darryl "Doc" Dever President's Award Recipient (2020)
J.D., summa cum laude, Capital University Law School, Order of the Curia, 2003
B.A., summa cum laude, Ohio Wesleyan University, 1997
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Ohio State Bar Association Liquor and Gaming Law Committee
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Mentorship Program
- Ohio Lobbyist Association, Vice-President
- Ohio Council of Retail Merchants, Board of Directors
- Engagement Advisory Committee, JewishColumbus
- "I employ lobbyists in many other states. Josh Sanders at Calfee is extremely results oriented and responsive. I rate him and his staff in the very top of all of my other very strong lobbying firms." - Calfee client, as reported by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in their 2021 “Best Law Firms” rankings report
- "We have been extremely pleased by the responsiveness and initiative of Josh Sanders, who leads the Calfee Government Relations practice. The past few months of COVID-19 activity, particularly in Ohio, have necessitated diligent efforts to track what is happening, analyze and strategize next steps. Josh is very plugged in, resourceful and a strong partner." - Calfee client, as reported by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in their 2021 “Best Law Firms” rankings report
News & Events
- Jake Blake and Josh Sanders Speak at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio Annual Conference09.19.2019
- Josh Sanders Speaks on Political and Government Impacts on the Industry at Builder’s Exchange of Central Ohio02.16.2016
- Columbus, OH, 04.24.2020
- Calfee Connections, 02.03.2021
- Calfee Connections, 12.04.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.06.2020