Calfee lawyers know how government works. From the smallest service district to the State of Ohio – Calfee works with governmental entities large and small. Our experience allows us to work with governmental entities on a diverse array of issues, from those involving general public law to public finance and economic development to environmental law to public utilities issues to complex litigation.
Our team includes several Calfee lawyers who have held top positions in government at the local, state, and federal levels, including as a member of Congress, a mayor of a major Ohio city, director of a cabinet-level state agency, and a major Ohio city law director. Our government sector attorneys' in-house experience as government employees enables them to fully understand the unique legal, political and community issues that impact government entity clients as they seek to resolve their legal challenges for their constituents.
7.20.2020 – Webinar With U.S. Congressman Troy Balderson
U.S. Congressman Troy Balderson (R-OH, 12th District) joined Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), for a conversation about federal economic recovery and stimulus legislation, including the CARES Act, the Paycheck Protection Program and other small business-related relief, and transportation and infrastructure initiatives. Leah Pappas Porner, (Chair, Calfee's Government Relations & Legislation practice) provided introductory remarks.
6.23.2020 – Webinar With U.S. Congressman Dave Joyce
U.S. Congressman Dave Joyce (R-OH, 14th District) joined John Mino (Partner, Calfee Corporate and Capital Markets) and Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), to discuss the federal government’s ongoing actions to address the COVID pandemic and give an update from the Appropriations Committee.
6.17.2020 – Webinar With J.P. Nauseef, President & Chief Executive Officer of JobsOhio
J.P. Nauseef, President and Chief Executive Officer of JobsOhio, joined Tim Day, Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions, and Leah Pappas Porner, Chair, Calfee's Government Relations & Legislation practice, to discuss the JobsOhio plan to get Ohioans back to work following the COVID-19 pandemic and the JobsOhio investment in innovation districts across the state.
6.15.2020 – An Analysis of Ohio's COVID-19 Immunity Legislation With Senator John Eklund
Calfee attorneys Michael VanBuren (Partner, Health Care Regulation), Matthew Mendoza (Partner, Litigation) and moderator Raymond Tarasuck (Senior Counsel, Government Relations & Legislation) were joined by Senator John Eklund, Chair of the Ohio Senate’s Judiciary Committee for a discussion and analysis of Ohio's COVID-19 Immunity Legislation.
6.11.2020 – Webinar With Ohio Treasurer Robert Sprague
Leah Pappas Porner (Chair, Government Relations and Legislation) and Blake Beachler (Practice Leader, Public Finance) were joined by Ohio Treasurer Robert Sprague where they discussed the impact of COVID-19 on the state of financial systems, the fiscal health of the State of Ohio and local governments, and the initiatives the Treasurer is working on to help individuals, businesses and government entities weather this crisis.
6.09.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley and Former Mayor Charlie Luken
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley was joined by former Cincinnati Mayor Charlie Luken (Senior Counsel, Calfee Government Relations & Legislation) for a discussion regarding leading through unrest on the heels of a pandemic.
6.02.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cuyahoga County Executive Armond Budish
Cuyahoga County Executive Armond Budish joined Ray Tarasuck and Michael Bowen, attorneys with Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group for a discussion regarding Cuyahoga County’s response to COVID-19.
5.21.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With U.S. Congressman Anthony Gonzalez
U.S. Congressman Anthony Gonzalez (R-Rocky River) joined John Mino and Brent Pietrafese (Partners, Calfee Corporate and Capital Markets) and Christine Hesse (Lead Principal, Calfee Strategic Solutions Federal Government Relations and Policy), to discuss the early challenges of the CARES Act, including PPP loan eligibility and forgiveness issues, and Anthony's vision to restart the economy.
5.06.2020 – Roundtable Discussion With Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson
Brent Ballard, Calfee Managing Partner, and Ray Tarasuck and Michael Bowen, attorneys with Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group, hosted a webinar roundtable discussion with Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson where the Mayor discussed the city's strategic COVID-19 Recovery Plan.
4.29.2020 – Webinar With Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Neil Bradley of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Tim Day, Principal, Federal Government Relations and Policy with Calfee Strategic Solutions, hosted a webinar discussion with U.S. Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) and Neil Bradley, Executive Vice President and Chief Policy Officer of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce where they discussed COVID-19 funding and the role technology is playing in our economy.
4.24.2020 – Webinar With Ohio State Senator Matt Huffman
Leah Pappas Porner, Chair, and Josh Sanders, Vice Chair of Calfee's Government Relations and Legislation practice group, hosted a roundtable discussion webinar with Ohio State Senator Matt Huffman in which he discussed the Senate’s efforts to help Ohio through the COVID-19 crisis, including steps the Chamber has already taken and efforts they are currently pursuing for future legislative action.
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Law360, 08.17.2020
- Calfee Zoning Forms Equitable Zoning Advisory Committee to Guide More Equitable Zoning Code Outcomes for America’s Cities08.04.2020
- Calfee Partners Trevor Alexander and David T. Bules Named to Benchmark Litigation's "40 & Under Hot List" for 2020Benchmark Litigation, 07.31.2020
- Sun Gazette Newspapers, 07.31.2020
- Bowling Green City Council Passes Ordinance to Create New Gateway District, Zoning Code Revision of New District Led by Calfee ZoningBG Independent News and Sentinel-Tribune (Bowling Green, Ohio), 07.20.2020
- Charlie Luken Opinion: I Was the Mayor of Cincinnati When We Reformed Our Police Department Following Racial Unrest – and Crime Has Since TumbledMarketWatch, 07.09.2020
- Daily Journal, 07.09.2020
- Tysons Reporter, 07.09.2020
- Calfee's Charlie Luken and Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley Roundtable Discussion Featured in News Outlets06.10.2020
- YARD & Company, 06.03.2020
- This Week Community News, 03.25.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune, 03.02.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- Jake Blake and Josh Sanders Speak at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio Annual Conference09.19.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2018
- CZ Zonecasts Presents: Single Family Zoning and Equity, the "Minneapolis Experience” With Special Guest Heather Worthington07.09.2020
- Aviation Law
- Calfee Strategic Solutions
- Collaboration Agreement Consulting Services
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Construction Law
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Environmental Law
- Federal Government Relations and Policy
- Government Relations and Legislation
- Health Care Regulation
- Insurance Coverage
- Labor and Employment
- Privacy and Data Security
- Public Finance
- Public Law
- Public Utility Regulatory
- Real Estate Law
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation