Clients in a wide range of industries trust Maura’s litigation and antitrust experience to help them resolve disputes and problems that can adversely impact their businesses. Whether handling corporate or antitrust litigation, counseling a client regarding its pricing or dealer relationships, or advising as to the competition implications of an acquisition, Maura brings a solution-oriented approach to her diverse clients’ benefit.
Maura's experience encompasses all aspects of litigation, including pretrial discovery, depositions, significant trial experience in both Ohio and federal courts as well as international arbitration forums, and appellate briefing and argument in Ohio Courts of Appeals, the Ohio Supreme Court, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Maura’s work in the area of antitrust and trade regulation has included both litigation and client counseling on the Sherman Act, Robinson-Patman Act, and state antitrust law. Her antitrust work includes handling federal filings and associated investigations under the Hart-Scott Rodino Act, as well as counseling clients regarding the antitrust implications of potential acquisitions. Maura regularly advises clients with respect to the antitrust and competition law risks associated with minimum resale or advertised pricing programs. She has extensive experience in assisting clients in developing and implementing antitrust compliance programs, including education of executives and employees.
Benchmark Litigation named Maura a "Local Litigation Star" in 2019. Maura was selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers (2012-2018) and has previously been named to the “Top 25 Women Lawyers” in Cleveland and the “Top 50 Women Lawyers” in Ohio rankings.
Maura was named a 2018 “Notable Woman in Law” by Crain’s Cleveland Business, recognizing her as one of the most influential women leaders practicing in Northeast Ohio law firms. Maura was awarded the “YWCA Woman of Excellence” award in 2011, which recognizes the contributions of exceptional women within their organization.
Maura is a past Chair of the Antitrust Section Council of the Ohio State Bar Association.
For several years, Maura has served on the Board of Trustees of the Art Therapy Studio in Cleveland, where she is a former President of the Board. Since 2008, she has been a Director of The Music Settlement in Cleveland, where she served as Chair of the Board of Directors from 2014-2017.
Maura often speaks at seminars on the national, state, and local levels on topics of antitrust counseling and litigation and the ethical obligations of attorneys. She has taught as adjunct faculty at Case Western Reserve University School of Law and Arizona State University College of Law in the areas of appellate advocacy and lawyering theory and practice.
Maura served as a law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aldrich of the Northern District of Ohio before joining Calfee in 1994.
In 1999, she was awarded a Pegasus Scholarship by the American Inns of Court and spent three months at the Inns of Court in London, England. In 2002, Maura was named as a fellow of the Ohio State Bar Foundation.
Maura serves as Calfee’s General Counsel and ethics partner and counsels colleagues with respect to the Rules of Professional Responsibility and risk management issues. She became a partner at Calfee in 2003.
Honors & Recognitions
Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star," 2019
Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012-2018; named to the “Top 25 Women Lawyers” in Cleveland and the “Top 50 Women Lawyers” in Ohio rankings
“Notable Woman in Law,” Crain’s Cleveland Business, 2018
“YWCA Woman of Excellence” award, 2011
Pegasus Scholarship, American Inns of Court, 1999
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1993
A.B., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University, 1990
- Representing as lead counsel U.S. and foreign subsidiaries of a multi-national corporation in a federal MDL class action alleging an international price-fixing cartel
- Serving as lead counsel in the trial and appeal, and obtaining a multi-million-dollar verdict, for an Ohio municipality seeking return of overcharges from a state agency
- Defending a large health insurer in class action litigation arising from payments made by its plan customers
- Obtaining for a multi-national corporate client a $10 million judgment before an arbitration panel of the International Chamber of Commerce, successfully asserting contract claims under a foreign supply agreement
- Successfully representing the U.S. subsidiary of a multi-national manufacturer in an international arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce on contract claims valued over $50 million arising from the dissolution of a longstanding joint venture
- Representing a health insurer in litigation in connection with contract claims and counterclaims of multi-million-dollar healthcare fraud by a provider and obtaining a favorable settlement with no financial liability on the part of the client
- Acting as lead counsel and successfully defending a financial services client in an action for accountant malpractice
- Designing and implementing antitrust compliance education programs for several clients in highly concentrated industries
- Serving as lead counsel during a DOJ merger clearance investigation for an acquiring party purchasing a major competitor in the aviation industry, obtaining clearance for the transaction, and avoiding a Second Request
- Serving as lead counsel before the FTC in a merger clearance investigation in a billion-dollar transaction in the food industry and obtaining clearance without a Second Request
- Serving as counsel for individual employees involved as material witnesses in connection with criminal antitrust investigations
- Counseling clients and reaching out on their behalf to the Agencies with concerns regarding the acquisition activity of competitors
- Representing many public and private companies in successful Hart-Scott Rodino filings
- Serving as second-chair trial counsel in a three-month antitrust trial involving an alleged Sherman Act conspiracy
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Art Therapy Studio in Cleveland, member of the board of trustees and former board president
The Music Settlement in Cleveland, member of the board of directors and former board chair (2014-2017)
Antitrust Section Council of the Ohio State Bar Association, former chair
Ohio State Bar Foundation, fellow, 2002 - present
News & Events
- Law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aldrich of the Northern District of Ohio, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit