K. James Sullivan, Partner and Leader of Calfee's Insurance Coverage and Insurance Recovery practices, was recently mentioned and quoted in two articles: "Cases Could Provide Clarity on Business Interruption Coverage" by Judy Greenwald, published in Business Insurance and "Ohio Supreme and 8th Circuit Mull Whether COVID Can Cause Direct Physical Loss" by Jim Sams, published in Claims Journal.
The articles describe two COVID-19-related business interruption cases accepted by the Ohio Supreme Court and a federal appeals court, respectively. James Sullivan noted in the Business Insurance article that he, "believes this is the first high court to agree to hear a COVID-19 policyholder/insurer business interruption case."
Read the full Business Insurance article.
Read the full Claims Journal article.
For additional background and context, James has written several First Alerts and blog posts on this topic over the past year:
- Ohio Supreme Court to Issue Opinion on Central Issue for COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance Claims (Calfee Connections Blog, 04.15.2021)
- The Continuing Quest for COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance Coverage – Ohio at the Epicenter (Calfee First Alert, 01.28.2021)
- Will My Company's Coronavirus-Related Business Interruption Losses Be Covered by Insurance? (Calfee First Alert, 03.25.2020)
Susan M. Kurz
Chief Marketing & Client Development Officer
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Energy and Utilities
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Individuals and Families
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies