As Vice Chairman, Mitch helps manage and support many of the Firm’s most significant clients. He oversees major projects to ensure appropriate resources are dedicated to addressing clients' needs and to provide clear communication and reporting. He also helps lead the firm’s efforts in developing new and expanded client relationships.
Mitch joined Calfee in 1982. He became a partner in 1990, a member of the Executive Committee in 2003 and a member of the Management Committee in 2009.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, Band 2 (2005-2021)
- In 2021, Chambers USA researchers reported the following client feedback: “[Mitch] is very diligent, careful and thoughtful. He is also very good at strategizing – he thinks several steps ahead before taking action. He is collegial and has great instincts." A client stated, " [Mitch] is one of the top litigators in the country.”
- In 2020, Chambers USA researchers noted that "[Mitch] has considerable experience in securities litigation and contract disputes, and is also the firm's vice chairman. One impressed client says, 'Mitch is one of the most organized, detail-oriented, careful, and thoughtful attorneys that I've ever had the pleasure of working with. In addition to these strengths, he is very experienced and knowledgeable with respect to securities litigation and is a true advocate for his clients.'"
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star – Ohio, General Commercial, International Arbitration, Professional Liability, Securities, and White-Collar Crime (2018-2022); recognized by Benchmark Litigation (2007-present)
- In Benchmark Litigation, a peer noted that “Mitch is one of the best known litigators in Cleveland;” and a client stated, “I would put Mitch against any litigator in the country.”
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) (2005-2022)
- Comments from clients surveyed by Best Lawyers include: “Mitch is a seasoned and skilled litigator. Mitch is particularly adept at explaining complex litigation to senior management. He is one of the best as far as using associates cost-effectively while still maintaining a thorough knowledge of the details of any case.”
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2008-2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating and listed in Cleveland’s Top-Rated Lawyers Guide
J.D., Marshall-Wythe School of Law of the College of William and Mary, 1982
B.A., magna cum laude, Union College, 1979
Particularly successful in defending clients before juries, Mitch has won cases in federal and state courts on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants involving business disputes, including class and derivative action defense and SEC enforcement actions. Mitch has a track record of successfully representing corporations and individuals in high-stakes litigation.
- Mitch has extensive experience representing directors of some of the region's largest companies in shareholder derivative litigation and in defending these companies in accompanying class actions.
- Mitch represented one of the nation’s largest utilities in a multi-million-dollar breach of contract dispute, achieving a settlement worth $200 million to the client.
- Mitch led a trial team that obtained a multi-million-dollar judgment for an international tire company.
Active outside of the courtroom, Mitch has addressed the following organizations on topics related to jury trial techniques and defending class actions, corporate governance and compliance:
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Securities Law Institute
- Glasser Legal Works SEC Hot Topics Institute
- Annual SEC Issues Update Seminar on enforcement topics
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Leadership Forum