Jake is experienced in all aspects of litigation in state and federal courts, representing clients based in the United States and abroad. He has significant experience at both the trial court and appellate levels. Jake is an accomplished lawyer who has the technical skill needed to win in the courtroom and the commonsense to help his clients achieve their goals.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Jake served as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army where he completed two combat tours in Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law (2021)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2015-2021)
J.D., cum laude, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Chief Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2011
B.A. in History, cum laude, Stetson University, 2003
General Commercial Litigation
- Successfully defending a foreign government against claims worth over $1 billion.
- Obtaining a $27.8 million judgment in a bank fraud proceeding.
- Achieving the dismissal of a complaint for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against a multinational financial services corporation.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a complaint seeking $10 million for alleged RICO violations.
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissing an ERISA action against a fund’s former business manager.
- Obtaining appellate reversal of a trial court’s entry of a temporary restraining order in a case involving the sale of a $30 million business.
- Helping a local, small business recover over $1 million in funds stolen by its former president and CEO.
- Assisting owners and tenants in numerous commercial real estate transactions and disputes.
- Representing owners in administrative proceedings before local tax authorities and the Board of Tax Appeals.
- Representing craft brewers in disputes over distribution rights under the Ohio Alcoholic Beverage Franchise Act
- Obtaining over $1 million in unpaid change orders on behalf of a design-builder for a public project, while at the same time avoiding millions of dollars of liquidated damages claimed by the State of Ohio.
- Obtaining a $200,000 judgment against a subcontractor who committed fraud.
- Drafting and negotiating various construction contracts and documents in both public and private projects.
- Assisting project owners and contractors in numerous actions involving lien rights, delay claims, and negligence actions.
- Defending aircraft owners and aircraft service providers against accident claims.
- Assisting airports and fixed base operators with various legal needs, including lease agreements, litigation, and other business transactions.
- Assisting aviation maintenance facilities and operators to enforce and protect their lien rights.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Ohio Aviation Association, Member
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Member
Jake is the author of the following articles:
- “Removal: The LLC Problem,” Litigation News, Vol. 17, Issue 2 (Summer 2012)
- “Netflix Imbroglio Illustrates the Risks Securities Firms and Professionals Face from Unregulated Use of Electronic Social Media,” Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP First Alert (December 12, 2012), co-author
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Jake Blake and Josh Sanders Speak at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio Annual Conference09.19.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jack Zouhary, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Ohio, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit