Jake’s primary focus is providing his construction clients with start-to-finish legal services. Whether it’s negotiating construction documents, navigating the many pitfalls of “challenged” projects, or being a fierce advocate if and when a dispute arises, Jake has the technical and practical expertise to get the best result for his clients.
Jake is also an experienced commercial litigator and has handled all aspects of complex litigation in state and federal courts, representing clients based in the United States and abroad. He has significant experience at both the trial court and appellate levels.
Jake possesses both the creativity and legal acumen to efficiently solve his clients’ problems. He has ample experience in formal and informal dispute resolution and always strives to find unique solutions that fit his clients’ needs.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Jake served as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army where he completed two combat tours in Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation's "Future Star" Ohio (2024); “40 & Under List," Midwest and Ohio: Construction, White Collar Crime, and Commercial Litigation (2021-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones To Watch," Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, and Litigation - Construction (2021-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2015-2021)
J.D., cum laude, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Chief Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2011
B.A. in History, cum laude, Stetson University, 2003
General Commercial Litigation
- Successfully defended a foreign government against claims worth over $1 billion in a five-week trial in federal court.
- Obtaining a $27.8 million judgment in a bank fraud proceeding on summary judgment.
- Achieving the dismissal of a complaint for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against a multinational financial services corporation.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a complaint seeking $10 million for alleged RICO violations.
- Negotiating favorable settlements in numerous collective actions.
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissing an ERISA action against a fund’s former business manager.
- Obtaining appellate reversal of a trial court’s entry of a temporary restraining order in a case involving the sale of a $30 million business.
- Helping a local, small business recover over $1 million in funds stolen by its former president and CEO.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a complaint for breach of contract and recovering over $750,000 for the settlement of the client’s counterclaims against its former supplier.
- Assisting owners and tenants in numerous commercial real estate transactions and disputes.
- Representing owners in administrative proceedings before local tax authorities and the Board of Tax Appeals.
- Representing craft brewers in disputes over distribution rights under the Ohio Alcoholic Beverage Franchise Act.
- Obtaining over $1 million in unpaid change orders on behalf of a design-builder for a public construction project.
- Avoiding millions of dollars of liquidated damages claimed by the State of Ohio against a client.
- Obtaining a $200,000 judgment against a subcontractor who committed fraud.
- Drafting and negotiating various construction contracts and documents in both public and private projects.
- Assisting project owners and contractors in numerous actions involving lien rights, delay claims, and negligence actions.
- Assisting contractors in assembling and submitting bids for public construction contracts.
- Advising clients on safety regulations and contractual obligations during COVID-19.
- Defending aircraft owners and aircraft service providers against accident claims.
- Assisting airports and fixed base operators with various legal needs, including lease agreements, litigation, and other business transactions.
- Assisting aviation maintenance facilities and operators to enforce and protect their lien rights.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Member
- Ohio Aviation Association, Member
Jake is the author of the following articles:
- “Removal: The LLC Problem,” Litigation News, Vol. 17, Issue 2 (Summer 2012)
- “Netflix Imbroglio Illustrates the Risks Securities Firms and Professionals Face from Unregulated Use of Electronic Social Media,” Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP First Alert, Co-Author (December 12, 2012)
News & Events
- Benchmark Litigation 2024 Recognizes Calfee as Highly Recommended Firm and 14 Calfee Litigation PartnersBenchmark Litigation,
- Benchmark Litigation,
- Columbus CEO,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Benchmark Litigation,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Calfee Partners Jason J. Blake and David Bules Named to Benchmark Litigation's 2021 "40 & Under Hot List"Benchmark Litigation,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Jake Blake and Josh Sanders Speak at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio Annual Conference
- Super Lawyers,
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Calfee NOW: Valerie Pope, Executive Director of the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio, on IntelCalfee Connections,
- Calfee Connections,
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jack Zouhary, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Ohio, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit