Jake is experienced in all aspects of litigation in state and federal courts, representing clients based in the United States and abroad. He has significant experience at both the trial court and appellate levels. Jake is an accomplished lawyer who has the technical skill needed to win in the courtroom and the commonsense to help his clients achieve their goals.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Jake served as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Army where he completed two combat tours in Iraq with the 25th Infantry Division.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2015-2019
J.D., cum laude, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Chief Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal, 2011
B.A. in History, cum laude, Stetson University, 2003
- Successfully defending a foreign government against claims worth over $1 billion during a five-week bench trial in federal court.
- Obtaining a $27.8 million judgment in a bank fraud proceeding.
- Achieving the dismissal of a complaint for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against a multinational financial services corporation.
- Obtaining the dismissal of a complaint seeking $10 million for alleged RICO violations.
- Obtaining summary judgment dismissing an ERISA action against a fund’s former business manager.
- Obtaining over $1 million in unpaid change orders on behalf of a design-builder for a public project, while at the same time avoiding millions of dollars of liquidated damages claimed by the State of Ohio.
- Drafting and negotiating various construction contracts and documents in both public and private projects.
- Defending aircraft owners and aircraft service providers against accident claims.
- Assisting airports and fixed base operators with various legal needs, including lease agreements, litigation, and other business transactions.
- Representing craft brewers in disputes over distribution rights under the Ohio Alcoholic Beverage Franchise Act.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Ohio Aviation Association, member
Ohio Craft Brewers Association, member
Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, member
Jake is the author of the following articles:
- “Removal: The LLC Problem,” Litigation News, Vol. 17, Issue 2, Summer 2012, author
- “Netflix Imbroglio Illustrates the Risks Securities Firms and Professionals Face from Unregulated Use of Electronic Social Media,” Calfee First Alert, December 12, 2012, co-author
News & Events
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Jack Zouhary, U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Ohio, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit