Calfee's nationally recognized Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice group advises business and governmental clients on managing their most challenging legal and business issues related to benefits and compensation.
In addition to extensive experience with tax-qualified retirement and employee health and welfare benefit plans, the group’s practice also has a significant focus on the design and implementation of sophisticated executive compensation programs, ESOPs, merger and acquisition matters, and ERISA litigation.
Chambers USA Band 2 Ranking (Ohio)
Our Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation group is consistently recognized by Chambers USA.
In 2019, one source told Chambers USA researchers that "The team is very impressive, and the attorneys are all subject matter experts in the different areas of employees benefits. They also seem to have a wonderful, collaborative culture in which they work together and take pride in their mutual partnership."
One client noted: "I am very pleased with the firm's client service and the responsiveness of its attorneys. We engage Calfee as I know we will get a consistently high level of service,”
Chambers researchers further reported that a client commented, “I’m lucky to have this team supporting me.”
"Best Law Firms" National Rankings for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and ERISA Litigation by U.S.News–Best Lawyers in America 2020
Calfee was selected for inclusion to "Best Law Firms" for ERISA Litigation (National Tier 2, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland) and Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (National Tier 3, Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland) by U.S.News–Best Lawyers in America 2020.
- Employment and consulting contracts
- Equity and phantom equity compensation plans
- Incentive compensation / bonus plans
- Non-qualified deferred compensation (Section 409A)
- Change in control arrangements
- Supplemental executive retirement plans
- 401(k) wraparound plans
- 457(b) plans
- Executive perquisites
- Public disclosure and reporting requirements for publicly held companies
Qualified Retirement Plans
- 401(k) plans
- Pension, profit sharing, stock bonus plans and 403(b) plans
- Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
- Cross tested plans
- Cash balance plans
- IRS approval process
- Plan design and documentation
- Coverage and nondiscrimination testing support
- Governmental retirement plans
- Church retirement plans
Health and Welfare Benefits
- Self-insured health plans
- Health Savings Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Accounts
- Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) arrangements
- Retiree Health Plans
- Medicare Parts C and D
- Employer Group Waiver Plans (EGWPs)
- Cafeteria (Section 125) Plans
- Flexible benefit plans
- Governmental health plans
- Church health plans
- Affordable Care Act compliance
- Investment Management Agreements for separate accounts
- Investments in private equity funds, hedge funds, real estate funds, collective investment trusts, infrastructure funds
- Arrangements with 3(38) and 3(21) fiduciary managers and advisors
- Transition management arrangements
- CFTC, NFA, ISDA compliance
- Investment policy statements
- Regulatory interpretation
- Fiduciary compliance
- Reporting and disclosure
- Investment management compliance
- ACA, HIPAA and COBRA compliance
- IRS and DOL audits
- IRS and DOL correction programs
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Transaction structuring
- Compliance and liability analysis
- Defined benefit and multi-employer plan liabilities
- Plan mergers and spin-offs
- Alternative equity transfer techniques
- Analysis of stock redemption issues
- Assistance in obtaining appraisals and financing
- Corporate governance and equity issues
- S corporation ESOPs
- Phantom and synthetic equity arrangements
- Disputed benefit claims (administrative proceedings and litigation)
- Breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Discrimination claims under ERISA Section 510
- COBRA claims
- Multi-employer withdrawal liability claims
- Department of Labor proceedings
A list of Calfee's representative Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice clients include the following:
- Align Capital Partners
- American Consolidated Industries
- Americhem, Inc.
- Automated Packaging Systems, Inc.
- CapitalWorks, LLC
- The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
- Chart Industries, Inc.
- Clark-Reliance Corp.
- Clearstead Advisors LLC (formerly known as Hartland & Co.)
- Covia Holdings Corporation
- Ferro Corporation
- FirstEnergy Corp.
- Hartzell Propeller Inc. / Tailwind Technologies, Inc.
- Hickok Incorporated
- Hyland Software, Inc.
- Invacare Corporation
- The J. M. Smucker Company
- Keller Group, Inc.
- Key Bank Investment Services
- Kirkwood Holding Inc.
- Koroseal RJF International Corporation
- Linsalata Group
- MavenHill Capital
- Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Morrison Products, Inc.
- MYR Group, Inc.
- Nestlé USA, Inc. and Nestlé Holdings, Inc., and related companies, including Nestlé Prepared Foods Co., Nestlé Purina Petcare Company and Nestlé Healthcare Nutrition, Gerber Products Company, Gerber Life Insurance Co. and Nestlé Dreyers Ice Cream Company
- Oatey Co.
- Ohio Highway Patrol Retirement System
- Oswald Companies
- Playhouse Square Foundation
- Royal Appliance Manufacturing Company
- RPM International Inc., and related companies, including Tremco Incorporated, Carboline Company, Day-Glo Color Corp. and Dryvit Systems, Inc., Rust-Oleum Corporation, DAP Products, Inc., and Zinsser Co., Inc.
- School Employees Retirement System of Ohio
- State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio
- Tradesmen International, LLC