Calfee’s Wealth Management Practice highlights a multidisciplinary approach to financial planning by calling upon the collaborative expertise of attorneys from our Estate and Succession Planning, Corporate and Capital Markets, Securities, Tax and Partnership practices.
Our professionals work closely with our clients, their family offices, and other outside service providers to offer practical solutions to complex issues created by complicated business and family structures.
With success often comes complication, and our Wealth Management team stands at the ready to guide you through ever-evolving matters related to your family, your investments and your business interests.
The expertise of Partnership, Tax and Securities lawyers is critical when navigating the challenges posed by a family-operating business, partnership or limited liability company entities formed to manage complex investment structures, and the unique challenges faced by direct or indirect investments in private equity or venture capital vehicles.
Our estate planning professionals are keenly focused on the issues surrounding efficient wealth transition and the challenges of arranging your affairs to reflect your unique family values and the responsible management and distribution of family wealth. We also work closely with the other members of the firm to develop effective business transition strategies focused on orderly management transition as well as efficient wealth transfer.
While we work frequently with family office personnel, we also are experienced at analyzing the pros and cons of engaging the services of a multi-family office or the formation of a single-family office. The advent of the Ohio Private Family Trust Company and our experience in establishing such trust companies locally has made the family office conversation more timely than ever to many of our clients.
The benefits of a full-service law firm are no more obvious than in our Wealth Management practice.
Chambers USA Ranked Calfee as "Leading Law Firm" in Private Wealth Law 2018
Calfee is ranked as a "Leading Law Firm" in Private Wealth Law (Ohio) the Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2018. Chambers HNW is the only independent directory specifically aimed at the private wealth market that ranks law firms according to their private client disciplines.
As part of the ranking process, Chambers HNW interviews clients and sources to obtain feedback on the firm’s practice. A source said Calfee’s attorneys “have an outstanding reputation – they are known for being very sophisticated planners but also warm and genuine with clients, and they have a very, very loyal following.”
Another Chambers HNW source mentioned, "They're extremely collaborative, they're comfortable being part of a team, communicating with everyone on the team and getting things done cost-effectively."
A market insider highlights the firm's "strong reputation with small businesses," going on to explain that "they believe in personal relationships, they get intimately involved with businesses they represent. They understand the family dynamics of a small business."
Another Chambers HNW source reports that "the firm's experience with this market is extensive. [Calfee] provides thorough, efficient, and timely legal services to clients of all sizes. Calfee lawyers understand the need for empathy and kindness and are available to counsel family clients as needed. A strong suit is their communication talents. No question is left unanswered; their responses are thought-out and thorough. They use their experience to anticipate future events. Then they explain their thinking in clear, concise terms that maintain the clients' understanding. Their advice and counsel are always reasoned and always relevant.”
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2021 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in Trusts & Estates Law (Metropolitan Tier 1 Cleveland) and Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law (Metropolitan Tier 2 Cleveland).
News & Events
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 11 - SEC Enforcement and the Impact on the Industry (Lessons From The Front Lines)Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 02.02.2021
- SEC Commissioner Hester M. Peirce Provides Insights as Guest Speaker on The Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context01.19.2021
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 01.06.2021
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 8 - Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in Your Compliance ProgramSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 12.23.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 7 - What's Up with Regulation Best Interest and How the Best Firms are Addressing the New RuleSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 12.09.2020
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 11.24.2020
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 11.10.2020
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 3: "The New DOL Fiduciary Rule" With ERISA Expert David Kaleda, Principal at Groom Law GroupSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 4: "How FinTech and RegTech Impact Compliance" With Guest, Chuck Senatore, Founder of the Boston RegTech Meetup and Board Member and Adviser to FinTech, RegTech and Cryptocurrency CompaniesSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- Securities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- The Securities Compliance Podcast Episode 2: "What's New at OCIE?" With Guest, Natasha Greiner, Associate Director of the SEC's IA/IC Examination OfficeSecurities Compliance Podcast: Compliance in Context, 10.19.2020
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019