Michael serves as Co-Leader of the firm's Emerging Companies and Venture Capital practice. He represents businesses on formation, governance, mergers, acquisitions and sales, and capital structuring arrangements. He provides counsel to private equity funds, private and public companies and investors in such funds and companies. This advice covers the full spectrum of business cycles – from start-up through maturation to exit strategies – and a broad range of industries, including information technology, healthcare, chemicals, construction, energy and consumer products.
Michael also serves as outside general counsel to a number of private companies where he advises on a wide variety of day-to-day matters, including commercial contract negotiation, implementation of privacy and cyber-security policies and procedures, corporate governance, organizational structuring, succession planning and ESOP transactions.
As part of Calfee’s Privacy and Data Security group, Michael has significant experience allocating transactional risks associated with data privacy and security protocols and policies, cross-jurisdiction data transfers and compliance with related laws and regulations.
Using his knowledge and experience, Michael also helps athletes establish, monetize and protect their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL).
Michael is ranked as an Up and Coming attorney by Chambers USA 2022 in Corporate/M&A Law in Ohio: South & Central. Chambers USA researchers noted, "Michael Hurley is a rising star in the M&A field who regularly works on a host of transactions." Clients stated, "Michael is the best at using his intelligence and legal knowledge and applying it to real solutions for my businesses. Michael was knowledgeable, responsive and provided sound guidance throughout the process."
Michael has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© "Ones To Watch" for Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2022). He also was named to the Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars list (2016-2022) and to the "Cincy Leading Lawyers" list by Cincy Magazine (2018-2021).
Outside of the office, Michael is active in the community. He serves as a Board Member for the Association for Corporate Growth – Cincinnati Chapter. He also presents regularly at the Queen City Angels Boot Camp and is active with the Goering Center for Family and Private Business.
He presents regularly at seminars and has authored numerous publications.
Michael earned his B.A. degree from Yale University and his J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from the University of Cincinnati.
Michael joined Calfee’s Cincinnati office in 2014 and was elected Partner in 2019. Prior to joining Calfee, Michael worked at Blank Rome, LLP.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA 2022, Corporate/M&A, Up and Coming, Ohio
- The Best Lawyers in America© "Ones To Watch," Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2022)
- Cincy Magazine, "Cincy Leading Lawyers," Mergers and Commercial Law (2019-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2016-2022)
J.D., cum laude, University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2011
M.B.A., Finance, University of Cincinnati College of Business, 2010
B.A., History, Yale University, 2005
Michael’s experience includes the following representative transactions and clients:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Align Capital Partners in numerous acquisitions, including: the acquisition of Kentucky-based Protegis Fire and Safety, Cleveland-based ABCO Fire Protection, and multiple other fire and life safety companies; and the acquisition of Barrow-Agee Laboratories, a niche market leader in the food safety and testing industry.
- Americhem, Inc. and its affiliates in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, including: the acquisition of Controlled Polymers, a compounder and concentrates maker based in Ribe, Denmark; the acquisition of Prescient Color, a Pune, India-based leading producer of textile and specialty master-batches; the acquisition of Vi-Chem, a Michigan compounder of TPE and PVC compounds; and the acquisition of LTL Color Compounders, a manufacturer of color compounds based primarily on engineering resins with operations in Pennsylvania and Dongguan, China.
- Assisted companies, including MarshBerry, a consulting and investment banking firm focused on the insurance industry, in their transition to become 100% owned by an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP) and its affiliates in dozens of acquisitions, including the acquisition of Alpha Insulation and Waterproofing group of companies, which install waterproofing, insulation, fireproofing, and fire-stopping products for large commercial projects throughout the southern United States.
- RPM International (NYSE: RPM) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including the acquisition of Key Resin Company, a Cincinnati-based manufacturer of polymer flooring and coating systems; and the acquisition of two companies that were integrated into RPM’s existing divisions and international platform acquisitions to support entrance into new markets.
- Assisted dozens of closely held businesses in financial and strategic divestitures, including the sale of a Dayton-based manufacturer to a financial buyer, the recapitalization of a specialty flooring manufacturer, and the sale of a specialty manufacturer to a strategic buyer.
- Linsalata Capital Partners in several acquisitions and divestitures, including: the sale of Eatem Foods Company, a leading developer and producer of premium, traditional, natural and organic savory flavor systems, to Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM); and the acquisition of H.H. Franchising, the Cincinnati-based franchisor of Home Helpers.
- Tarkett (TKTT: EN Paris), a global leader in flooring and sports surfaces solutions, in its acquisition of Dalton, Georgia-based Lexmark Carpet Mills, a well-recognized brand among leading hospitality chains and in residential markets.
- Park-Ohio Holdings (NASDAQ: PKOH), in several acquisitions, including: the acquisition of the molding division of Wisconsin-based Trostel, a leading manufacturer of rubber-molded products utilizing a variety of elastomer materials and manufacturing technologies; and the acquisition of Autoform Tool & Manufacturing, an Indiana supplier of high pressure fuel rails and high and low-pressure fuel lines used in Gasoline Direct Injection systems utilized by automotive and truck manufacturers.
- MCM Capital Partners in several acquisitions, including the acquisition of Performance Plastics, a Cincinnati-based custom injection molding company.
Equity Offerings and Capital Raising
- Represented a direct-to-consumer food manufacturing company in its initial structuring and subsequent seed financing round.
- Represented a consulting and investment banking firm in the formation of a subsidiary and subsequent equity offering.
- Represented a direct-to-patient concierge medical practice in its Series A and subsequent follow-on offerings.
- Represented a restaurant group in the formation, and subsequent equity and debt financing of, an affiliated entity.
- Represented an investor group on multiple occasions in the formation of special purpose investment vehicles and subsequent financing rounds in conjunction with structuring the investment in operating companies.
- Represented a crypto currency marker maker in its initial structuring and subsequent seed financing round.
- Represented a CRM software company in multiple rounds of convertible note financings.
- Represented an investor group in the equity and convertible debt financing of a restaurant and catering group.
- Represented a hedge fund utilizing artificial intelligence for alternative asset class investments in its initial structuring and subsequent seed financing round.
- Represented a family office in multiple investment rounds in a data storage company.
A representative list of the privately held and public companies and private equity firms with which Michael works is:
- Align Capital Partners
- Americhem, Inc.
- Edgewater Capital Partners
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP)
- Linsalata Capital Partners
- Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc.
- MCM Capital Partners
- Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: PKOH)
- Timber Bay Partners
- Resilience Capital Partners
- RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM)
- Watervale Equity Partners