Brent helps clients consummate mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, joint ventures, and restructurings for a wide range of companies and industries. He has developed particular expertise in representing private equity firms, family offices and other financial investors in leveraged buyouts, investments and dispositions.
Brent's experience with private equity firms, family offices and investment funds helps him assist clients in capital formation matters, including venture and mezzanine capital and other private equity financing matters.
In addition, Brent provides day-to-day general corporate counseling to his clients and has extensive experience counseling clients on complex contract law matters, distributor and sales agent agreements, sales and purchasing contracts and related terms and conditions of sale and purchase.
Brent joined Calfee in 2003, and he was elected Partner in 2012. He began serving as Vice Chair of the Corporate and Finance practice group in 2022.
Honors & Recognitions
- IFLR1000 – Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, "Highly Regarded Attorney," M&A (2019-2022)
- IFLR1000 Elite Dealmaker, Mergers & Acquisitions (2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2020-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2015-2016, 2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2012-2014)
- Crain’s Cleveland Business’ 25th Anniversary "Forty Under 40" List (2016)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2003
M.B.A., Case Weatherhead School of Management, 2003
B.S., cum laude, Miami University, 2000
Brent’s representative experience includes advising:
- Action Industries, Ltd., Torsion Plastics, LLC and Flexbrush LLC in connection with the sale of substantially all of the companies’ assets to Torsion Group Corp., an affiliate of MCM Capital Partners, a private equity firm focused on acquiring niche manufacturers, value added distributors and specialty service companies
- Aitheras Aviation Group, LLC in the acquisition and disposition of several aircraft and negotiation of several service contracts with prominent Northeastern Ohio health care providers
- Babson Capital (MassMutual) in numerous mezzanine debt and equity investment transactions including Arrow Tru-Line, Fowler and Clough Harbour
- CapitalWorks, LLC in numerous acquisitions and divestures, including its recent acquisition of Paradigm Window Solutions, a leading manufacturer of premium quality custom vinyl windows in the Northeast; and its divestiture of Bluffton Motor Works, a leading manufacturer of sub-five horsepower motors that power a wide variety of applications throughout the world, to WEG S.A.
- ExactCare Pharmacy, LLC in its sale of a substantial minority-equity interest to a private equity investor; two years later, a subsequent “upsized” recapitalization to take out the initial private equity investor; and sale of additional equity interests to Nautic Partners, a larger private equity investor
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE: FOE) in several merger and acquisition transactions, including:
- its divestiture of U.S. and Chinese fine chemicals business to Novolyte Technologies LP, an affiliate of Arsenal Capital Management LP
- its acquisition of certain assets related to the grinding and fabrication fluids business of Fluid Logic LLC, of Portland, Oregon
- PNC Erieview Capital in dozens of middle-market private equity investment transactions, including its investments in Advanced Medical Personnel Services, a travel therapy and nursing staffing company placing healthcare professionals in clinical settings nationwide; Wilson Orchard and Vineyard Supply, a provider of irrigation, planting, development, and harvesting equipment and supplies as well as irrigation system designs for commercial orchards and vineyards; and Dermatology Group, a physician practice management company
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including its acquisition and subsequent disposition of NeuroTherm, Inc., a leading manufacturer of products used primarily in the field of interventional pain management; and its acquisition of Eatem Foods, a manufacturer of bases and flavoring for soups, sauces and other foods
- National City Equity Partners in numerous mezzanine debt and equity investment transactions including Franklin Energy Services, Gila, Savage Sports, Arrow Tru-Line, Cumming Group, Altech Inspections, CPC/Moss Holdings, Olon Industries, and Vendormate, Inc.
- Ohio-based enterprise developing genetically modified algae as a bio-fuel source in its raising of several million dollars in equity investment to fund growth
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Northeast Ohio Trusted Advisors Network, a professional networking group, Executive Committee Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Julie Billiart School, Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Claire’s Crusade, Executive Board Member
Presentations & Publications
Presentations & Publications
- "Steps to Help Initiate a Seamless and Profitable Sale," Crain's Cleveland Business (January 2019)
- "Capturing Enterprise Value, Creating Legacy Through Business Transitions," Panelist (February 2019)
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Partner Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for MCM Capital Partners and Torsion Group Corporation in the Sale of TGC to Kaulig Capital
- Calfee Partner Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Systems Innovation Engineering During Investment by Trive Capital
- Calfee Partner Brent Pietrafese Quoted in Crain's Cleveland Business Article, "Investment Firms Expect Another Busy Year for M&A in 2022"Crain's Cleveland Business,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Calfee Partner Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for CapitalWorks LLC in Acquisition of Safe-Way Garage Doors, LLC
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Shortlisted for “Ohio Firm of the Year;” Earns 4 Practice Area and 4 Attorney Rankings in 2021/2022 International Financial Law Review 1000 GuideThe International Financial Law Review,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Hartzell Propeller Inc. in Acquisition of Tanis Aircraft Products
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for CapitalWorks, LLC in CapitalWorks' Sale of Bancsource to Cennox
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for MCM Capital Partners in MCM's sale of First Impression Iron Works
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Cable Manufacturing & Assembly, Inc. in its Sale to Torque Capital Group
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold Assists Private Equity Firm CapitalWorks in its Majority Investment in Electromechanical Research Laboratories, Inc.
- MCM Capital,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review,
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Cache Creek Industries Acquisition of Brandywine Communications
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- The International Financial Law Review,
- Mergers and Acquisitions Co-Leader, Brent Pietrafese, Leads Legal Deal Team for Cache Creek’s recent Acquisition of Automated Business Power, Inc.
- Crain's Cleveland Business,
- Mergers and Acquisitions Co-Leader, Brent Pietrafese, Leads Legal Deal Team for MCM's Recent Acquisition of Andover Corporation
- Mergers and Acquisitions Co-Leader, Brent Pietrafese, Leads Legal Deal Team for MavenHill Capital's Recent Acquisition of Gasser & Sons
- Calfee Attorneys Led the Legal Deal Team for CapitalWorks LLC in the Sale of its Investment in Capewell Aerial Systems
- Smart Business Dealmaker,
- Calfee Attorneys Led the Legal Deal Team for Cache Creek Industries and Rockmont Capital in Their Acquisition of Mountain Secure Systems
- Brent Pietrafese Led Legal Deal Team for CapitalWorks' Acquisition of Optical Design Manufacturing, Inc.
- Brent Pietrafese Led Legal Deal Team for MavenHill Capital's Recent Acquisition of Connecticut Coining, Inc.