Having served as General Counsel for 20 years for two publicly held, international, acquisitive technology companies, John brings a deep understanding of today’s most complex legal challenges and business opportunities to his clients. He has extensive corporate and international experience in mergers and acquisitions, commercial transactions, computer technology and licensing, government regulation and litigation management. He also counsels clients on matters of corporate governance and compliance, executive compensation and labor and employment issues.
Before joining Calfee, John spent five years as Executive Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel for MSC Software, and more than 15 years as Senior Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel at SDRC. He has first-hand experience creating and managing highly effective legal departments for acquisitive, global IT companies with more than 3,000 employees. He managed one company through an IPO and both companies through eventual sales. The insight and understanding John gained working with large, multinational companies in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing and information technology, as well as numerous law firms, investment bankers and accounting firms across the globe enable him to deliver to his clients valuable advice and counsel. Today, John enjoys serving clients in the role as external general counsel, advising on a variety of legal and business matters.
John joined Calfee in 2012 as Partner-in-Charge of the Cincinnati office, growing the office from a single attorney to 12 attorneys and two subsidiary business lines with additional professional staff. He has served as a member of firm’s Practice Planning and Growth Committee and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee since 2013. John was elected to the firm’s Management Committee in 2015.
John has been ranked by Benchmark Litigation as a “Labor & Employment Star – Midwest" (2020), selected to the"Cincy Leading Lawyers" list by Cincy Magazine and The Best Lawyers in America© from 2018-2021. John has been named one of Cincinnati’s "Top Forty Business Leaders Under 40" by Cincinnati Business Courier and is an alumnus of Leadership Cincinnati.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star – Midwest (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law (2020-2021)
- Cincy Magazine, "Cincy Leading Lawyers," Commercial, Corporation (2018-2020)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals – Greater Cincinnati Chapter, Volunteer of the Year (2018)
- Cincinnati Business Courier, “Top Forty Business Leaders Under 40" (1997)
- Leadership Cincinnati, Class 20
J.D., Capital University Law School, 1984
B.A., University of Cincinnati, 1981
Duke University Fuqua School of Business Advanced Management Program, 1995
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Member
- Stepping Stones, Chairman of Board of Trustees (2017-2019), Executive Committee Member, Chair of the Development Committee and Member of the Personnel Committee
- Dan Beard Council Boy Scouts of America, Board of Trustees, Vice Chair of its GSAL Committee (2014-2017) and Boy Scouts Mentoring Program Member
- American Heart Association, Chairman of Board of Trustees, Chair of Executive Leadership Team and 2016 Co-Chair of the Cincinnati Heart Ball
- StarShine Hospice and Palliative Care, Board President (2004-2005)
- United Way Tocqueville Society, Member (2012-2014)
- ArtsWave Cincinnati’s Community Campaign Cabinet (2013-2014)
- Cincinnati Ballet, Board of Trustees and Committee Member
- Cincinnati Opera, Board of Trustees and Committee Member
- Cincinnati Nature Center
- Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon, Vice Chairman of Board of Trustees (2005)
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Cincy Magazine, 01.30.2020
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Cincy Magazine, 01.29.2019