Calfee’s Information Technology practice is one of the most comprehensive and experienced in the Great Lakes region. We employ a multi‑disciplinary team of attorneys with backgrounds in Intellectual Property, Corporate and Finance, Privacy and Data Security, and Litigation to provide clients with the sophisticated counsel they need in a rapidly changing information economy.
From Big Iron to blockchain, Calfee has worked with start-ups and Fortune 100 companies, vendors and buyers, bleeding edge and traditional enterprises, in creating, deploying and using IT products and services.
We represent clients regarding all forms of intellectual property in IT, including patents, copyrights, trade secrets, domain names, and trademarks and provide all legal services needed to create, protect, market, transfer, and use IT assets and services, and to resolve related disputes.
Our attorneys draft and negotiate contracts and counsel clients regarding all types of IT transactions including software licensing (on-premise or as-a-service), maintenance and hosting, as well as complex master service and joint development agreements.
Drawing upon the experience of both Calfee attorneys and our Lex Mundi associates around the globe, we counsel clients on applicable state, federal and foreign laws in areas such as export regulation, advertising, data rights and privacy (including compliance with GDPR, GLB, HIPAA, California’s Consumer Privacy Act, etc.).
Our IT group also provides sophisticated advice to a wide variety of businesses on corporate organization and capital formation issues such as choice of entity, private and public financing alternatives, joint ventures and partnerships, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Our experience in IT-related dispute resolution ranges from proprietary rights claims to system performance disputes in mediation, arbitration and litigation.
- Software licensing, maintenance and support agreements
- Software-as-a-Service subscriptions
- Outsourcing, hosting and Service Level agreements
- Software development and Master Service Agreements and Statements of Work
- Data privacy/security counseling, breach notification planning
- Regulatory (e.g., HIPAA, GLB, GDPR) compliance counseling
- Online advertising
IT-Related Dispute Resolution
- Application and system performance disputes
- Infringement/proprietary rights disputes
- Domain name and trademark disputes
Corporate Organization and Capital Formation for IT Businesses
- Securities transactions and compliance issues
- Venture capital
- Choice of entity
- Corporate governance
- Joint ventures
- Mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and sales
Securing, Commercializing & Protecting Intellectual Property in IT
- Trade secrets
- Domain names
News & Events
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Daniel J. McMullen To Present at Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association Meeting on November 11, 2020Webinar,
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law,
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology