Our attorneys work closely with the inventors to ensure that there is understanding and agreement concerning the invention and the approach to patent protection, including determining the need or desire for patentability searching, practical advice relating to pursuing patent versus trade secret protection, as well as drafting, filing, and prosecuting the patent applications both in the United States and internationally.
Our counseling services include all of the traditional patent portfolio management services:
- Patent searches
- Development of opinions and/or “design around” strategies
- Design and implementation of maintenance and enforcement programs
- Protection of issued patents, including representation in various U.S. and international post-grant, opposition, or reexamination proceedings
- Portfolio review and audits
Calfee represents clients with a wide range of portfolio sizes including sole inventors/proprietors to Fortune 50 multinational corporations. Our patent practice includes a sophisticated team of full-time docket professionals who continually interface with a commercial IP docket/management system. Our docketing team also has experience with large transfers of entire patent portfolios.
IP Portfolio Management and Communications via Customized Extranet
Through Calfee’s customized extranet solutions, our attorneys and Knowledge Management Team provide clients with timely and secure access to the most relevant information, such as docket status, custom reports, due dates, and electronic document file system.
CLE and Educational Seminars
Calfee’s Intellectual Property group has long provided various types of educational sessions, including CLE seminars, to clients at no charge. Such sessions have included presentations with question and answer sessions intended to educate clients about:
- The basic principles of one or more areas of U.S. intellectual property law
- The methods by which intellectual property rights can be obtained and protected in the United States and around the world
- Internal mechanisms that can be implemented to help ensure that the client’s intellectual property rights are properly maintained or that the rights of others are not infringed by the client
- Recent legal developments that impact the client or its intellectual property rights
Calfee’s Intellectual Property Group develops legal alerts and other publications on timely topics to ensure that our clients stay apprised of recent changes in the law and other legal issues that may impact their business.
Please complete our subscription form, selecting the topic "Intellectual Property / Information Technology," to receive upcoming legal alerts and invitations to CLE seminars.