Brad Liu primarily counsels clients around the globe on patent prosecution, design-around assistance, freedom to operate, patentability and validity opinion. He is a patent attorney with first-hand experiences before both the U.S. Patent and Trademark Organization (USPTO) and the National Intellectual Property Administration of China (CNIPA). He has extensive experience with the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) patent filing and prosecution process, as well as Track One Prioritized Examination under the USPTO.
Brad is actively involved with intellectual property litigation matters, especially in factual investigation, discovery and claim construction stages. He takes an active role to prepare foreign witnesses for U.S. depositions and trials. Experienced in both U.S. and Chinese legal systems, Brad counsels clients to understand litigation procedures and develop strategies for complex litigation in foreign jurisdictions. He also counsels clients regarding post grant proceedings under the USPTO.
Beyond his intellectual property practice, Brad provides counseling for the firm's Asian vendor clients, including establishing business in the U.S. He works closely with Calfee’s Business Restructuring and Insolvency practice group to protect Asian vendors’ interests and to maximize their recoveries in U.S. bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Brad worked for several years as a patent specialist for a Chinese intellectual property law firm and as a control engineer for a Chinese energy company before joining Calfee as a Law Clerk in 2013. He became an attorney in 2015, and he was elected Partner in 2022.
Honors & Recognitions
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2022)
J.D., University of Akron School of Law, 2015
M.B.A., Ashland University, 2011
B.E., Measurement Control Technology & Instruments, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2005
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Kathleen O’Malley American Inn of Court, Associate
News & Events
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Qualified in National Intellectual Property Administration of the People's Republic of China
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio