Every client’s invention and new technology is important to Billy. He works closely with clients to identify the specific outcomes they seek, and he is driven to attain successful resolutions. Billy’s current practice is primarily in the electrical/mechanical space, and he has a strong background in software technology.
Billy has worked with many Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies and has extensive experience managing large, global patent portfolios. He regularly represents multi-national, multi-division corporations with diverse, global patent portfolios and supervises client teams consisting of multiple dedicated IP attorneys, paralegals and support staff. He provides significant value supplementing clients’ IP departments, working side-by-side with busy in-house legal and technical staff and corporate leaders.
A significant portion of Billy’s time is dedicated to helping clients explore the often-competing benefits obtained through patent protection and trade secret protection. He is involved with innovation harvesting, meeting with inventors to understand the potential for protecting their inventions.
A registered patent attorney since 2002, Billy has significant experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications relating to computer software and the electrical, mechanical and chemical arts, as well as trademark applications spanning a wide range of goods and services. He has a remarkable success rate in appealing adverse examiner decisions to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Billy provides opinions on patentability, clearance/freedom-to-operate, non-infringement and invalidity. He has been involved in several patent disputes, including complex multi-patent, multi-venue litigation.
Billy has authored several articles on intellectual property legal topics, and he has delivered numerous presentations to various companies and organizations.
A member of the Ohio, D.C., and Columbus Bar Associations, Billy is also active in the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
Billy was employed with Sughrue Mion, PLLC prior to joining Calfee in 2005. He became a Partner in 2011 and currently serves on the firm’s Practice Planning & Growth Committee (formerly known as the Executive Committee). Billy began serving as Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property practice group in 2020.
J.D., cum laude, University of Dayton School of Law, 2001
BSCS and BSCIS, summa cum laude, University of South Florida, 1998
- Work closely with in-house counsel of a global, publicly traded Fortune 500 corporation operating more than 70 facilities across the Americas, Asia and Europe. Manage a growing portfolio of over 2,500 matters including patents, trade secrets, agreements and studies/opinions and advise on IP strategy.
- Represent a multinational, publicly traded energy corporation with operations in the Americas, Middle East, Asia, Europe and Russia. Manage a portion of their global patent portfolio relating to catalytic-based natural gas processing. Provide strategic recommendations on advancing the patent portfolio throughout the world.
- Longstanding counsel for innovative sensor technology company with applications currently focused on cured-in-place-pipe (CIPP) lining. Secured patents on proprietary sensing technology and work closely with business leaders to leverage the patents.
- IP counsel for global innovator of measurement and control solutions. Work closely with technical leaders to develop and implement protection strategies for company’s ongoing innovations with both terrestrial and extraterrestrial applications.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA), Member
- Ohio Bar Association, Member
- D.C. Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
2021 Virtual Patent Pro Bono Day Program, Volunteer Patent Counsel – Provided patent counsel to Ohio inventors in pro bono program hosted by the Cleveland Corporate IP Counsel and Ohio Invents
- "What in the (COVID) World Are Apple and Google Up To? Data Privacy in Times of Public Crisis," Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, Webinar (July 8, 2020)
- "How to Do a Patent Search," Inventors Network, Columbus State Community College, Westerville, Ohio (March 7, 2017)
- "Trade Secrets and the Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016," Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, Columbus, Ohio (October 13, 2016)
News & Events
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio