A Partner with Calfee's Intellectual Property practice group, Josh’s litigation experience includes representing clients in federal and state courts and administrative tribunals (including the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and International Trade Commission) at all stages of litigation, including trials, appeals, and administrative hearings and appeals.
Josh has written and prosecuted many patents, particularly patents relating to electrical and medical devices and software. He also counsels and assists clients in managing their patent portfolios, including the preparation of right-to-market, patentability, and non-infringement / invalidity opinions.
Josh also has extensive experience in filing and prosecuting trademarks, counseling clients on trademarks, and settling trademark disputes.
Prior to joining Calfee, he was a judicial extern at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C., where he assisted the judge in appellate arguments and opinions in patent and administrative law cases.
Josh is an active member of the Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, where he serves as co-chair of the Young Lawyers Committee. He also regularly volunteers to provide legal assistance to emerging small business owners through the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program.
Josh joined Calfee in 2014 and was elected Partner in 2023.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Patent (2022-2024); Litigation – Intellectual Property (2023-2024)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, Intellectual Property (2022-2023)
J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University, 2013
B.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2004
- Representing a publicly traded, Fortune 1000 company and its operating entities spanning several continents in its complex intellectual property litigation and transactional matters. These matters range from complex IP deals (purchases, licensing, government contract issues) to infringement and theft of trade secret disputes, including multiple multi-million-dollar patent enforcement matters, an IP Option and Evaluation agreement to acquire a large IP portfolio and to assume government contracts, and an arbitration/litigation matter to resolve trade secret and contract claims relating to military and civilian systems.
- Serving as global Intellectual Property Lead Counsel for an Asia-based manufacturer, representing the client in district court litigation matters and prosecuting patent applications. The patent work for this client includes patent infringement matters filed in district courts in two states and the Federal Circuit as well as in six inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Additionally, Calfee is the Lead Settlement Counsel for a global series of patent, trade secret, and antitrust cases against the client’s main competitor, and the Calfee team works closely with the client’s overseas counsel. These actions are being heard in a variety of forums in four countries.
- Representing a software manufacturer in an arbitration the client before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) for breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, and unjust enrichment, arising from a terminated distribution contract with a customer. This private arbitration matter involves challenging and novel damages theories related to the misappropriation of software.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association Young Lawyers Committee, Co-chair
- Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program, Volunteer Legal Adviser
News & Events
- 93 Calfee Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Award Recipients; 6 Named “Lawyers of the Year”The Best Lawyers in America, 2024 edition,
- Calfee Intellectual Property Attorneys Andrew Alexander and Joshua Friedman Have Been Elected Partners
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Elects New Managing Partner and Additional Firm and Practice Leaders and Partners
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit