Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property practice group, Mark knows how to secure valuable rights that protect his clients’ investment and competitive advantage in the market. He also helps his clients monetize and enforce their intellectual property rights, and regularly defends clients against the risks associated with their competitor’s intellectual property.
A substantial portion of Mark’s practice is devoted to litigation matters on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. He has experience in both state and federal court, including all facets of district court litigation and appeals to the Federal Circuit. Mark has been lead counsel in multiple patent cases securing favorable outcomes for his clients. He also regularly handles inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mark’s experience helps him find creative business solutions to his client’s intellectual property related issues. He leans on his litigation experience when asked to provide counsel on patent clearance and due diligence matters, including patent portfolio analyses, validity and infringement opinions. Mark also utilizes his engineering experience to help businesses develop new products, strengthen their intellectual property positions for product lines and build the overall value of their portfolio.
Mark also enjoys providing counsel and strategy to clients on the procurement of intellectual property rights. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications on a diverse range of innovations in areas such as industrial and consumer products, electrical devices, building materials, medical devices and equipment, automotive and computer-related technologies. He works with clients to manage their worldwide patent portfolios and has experience with complex prosecution matters such as reexamination proceedings.
Mark received his law degree, cum laude, from Case Western Reserve University with honors in his concentration of law and technology.
Mark’s professional background working as a mechanical engineer for General Motors Corporation and as a business consultant at Accenture Ltd. helps shape his understanding of his clients’ business needs and ultimately contributes to finding unique solutions to support their goals. Mark joined Calfee in 2006, was elected Partner in 2015, and began serving as Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property practice group in 2020 and Co-Chair in 2021.
Honors & Recognitions
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2014-2016)
J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2006
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, cum laude, The Ohio State University, 1999
- "John Cipolla at Calfee, Halter & Griswold is an excellent patent litigator. We have worked with John for a number of years and really trust him. Tracy Johnson, Mark McDougall and the rest of the Calfee team provide sound legal advice and have the ability to handle tough cases with high exposure." - Calfee client, as reported by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in their 2020 “Best Law Firms” rankings report
News & Events
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas