Todd’s technical background enables him to counsel clients on various intellectual property matters, including providing advice on patentability, non-infringement, and designing around others’ intellectual property.
He is well-versed in patent procurement and strategic patent portfolio development in the electrical, mechanical, software, biomedical, and business method technology fields across different jurisdictions. Todd has conducted due diligence in preparation of various intellectual property transactions and rendered invalidity, non-infringement, patentability and freedom to operate opinions. He also has counseled clients with respect to trademark selection and prepared and prosecuted trademark applications.
Todd’s patent experience spans a variety of technologies including:
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Software Design
- Wireless Technologies
- Sensor Systems
- Computer Hardware
- Web-Based Innovations
- Communication Protocols
- Digital Signal Processing
- Analog and Digital Circuit Design
- Industrial Automation Systems
- Medical Devices
- Mechanical Devices
He joined Calfee in 2022 from the firm of Medley, Behrens & Lewis LLC.
In addition to his law practice, Todd was previously an adjunct professor of law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, where he taught in the Intellectual Property Entrepreneur Clinic. He also gained experience working as a patent attorney for Turocy & Watson, LLP, where he handled a variety of patent related matters such as preparation and prosecution of patents, licensing matters, and opinion drafting in a broad range of technologies.
Todd earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 2005, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif honor society and served as the Notes Editor for the Case Western Reserve Law Review. He earned his B.S.E., cum laude, in Electrical & Computer Engineering and Biomedical Engineering from Duke University in 2000.
Honors & Recognitions
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2010)
J.D., magna cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Order of the Coif, Notes Editor, Case Western Reserve Law Review, 2005
B.S.E., cum laude, Electrical & Computer Engineering and Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, 2000
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee’s Intellectual Property Practice Adds Four Attorneys From Respected IP Law Firm That Specializes in Representing High Tech Companies
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office