As a registered patent attorney, Michael has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications. He often works with clients and their in-house legal teams to provide guidance with respect to dynamic areas of patent law, including subject matter eligibility.
In addition, he assists clients in developing and managing their patent portfolios across different jurisdictions. This includes drafting and negotiating software licenses, asserting patent rights, drafting non-infringement and freedom to operate opinions, as well as responding to allegations of patent infringements, counseling in product design to avoid infringement of patents held by others, and advising clients as to national and international data privacy laws.
Michael’s experience expands across a broad range of industries including:
- Computer Software (including artificial intelligence, control systems, search engines, electronic advertising, and electronic health record systems)
- LIDAR and RADAR Systems
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Wireless Communication Technologies
- X-Ray Systems
- Heating and Cooling Systems
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Nuclear Power Systems
- Perception Systems in Autonomous Vehicles
Michael joined Calfee in 2022 from the firm of Medley, Behrens & Lewis LLC.
Michael earned his J.D. from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, and he earned his B.S., cum laude, in Electrical Engineering from Ohio University.
J.D., The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 2004
B.S., cum laude, Electrical Engineering, Ohio University, 2001
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio