Matt’s general litigation experience includes representing clients in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals at all stages of litigation, including trials, post-trial appeals, and administrative hearings and appeals.
As a member of the Employee Benefits Litigation group, Matt represents clients in ERISA disputes in federal court and assists ERISA fiduciaries and plan sponsors in proactively complying with their ERISA obligations. His ERISA experience includes defending and prosecuting complex claims under ERISA, such as ERISA breach of fiduciary duty claims and ERISA benefits claims.
Matt also counsels clients on many day-to-day legal and business issues, including data security, consumer protection, privacy, and unfair competition laws.
He has been named to the 2018 Ohio Rising Stars List for Business Litigation by Super Lawyers.
Matt serves on the Board of Directors of Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio and The Inner City Tennis Clinic.
He is an active participant in the Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, where he represents underprivileged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis.
Honors & Recognitions
Super Lawyers, "Ohio Rising Stars," Business Litigation, 2018
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State Law Review Research Editor, 2012
B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, Allegheny College, 2009
- While representing a large Northeastern Ohio municipality, obtained from the Ohio Supreme Court a favorable ruling on the merits in a $1.2 million municipal income tax refund case.
- Obtained summary judgment in the amount of more than $580,000, including attorney's fees and interest, in favor of one of Calfee's privately held clients.
- Obtained total summary judgment and dismissal of ERISA pension claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained injunction freezing the assets of four defendants in a multi-million-dollar ERISA health benefits dispute arising out of the mismanagement and underfunding of the welfare plans of one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million-dollar contract claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of environmental pollution claims brought against one of Calfee’s large privately held clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement in federal tax refund case for one of Calfee’s large public clients, resulting in a tax refund of more than $1 million.
- Obtained favorable judgment on multi-million-dollar breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy claims brought against Calfee’s client.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of multi-million-dollar business tort claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of original action brought against an Ohio public official in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Obtained favorable early settlement of product warranty claims brought by one of Calfee’s publicly held clients, resulting in a substantial monetary settlement for Calfee’s publicly held client.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of private real estate developer, allowing multi-million-dollar construction project to resume.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lender’s claims brought against debtor client.
- Obtained from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals the reversal and remand of an erroneous federal district court ruling while representing an indigent criminal defendant in a federal habeas corpus proceeding.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio, board of directors
The Inner City Tennis Clinic, board of directors
Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, represents economically disadvantaged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis
News & Events
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit