As a member of the Employee Benefits Litigation group, Matt represents clients in ERISA disputes in federal court and assists ERISA fiduciaries and plan sponsors in proactively complying with their ERISA obligations.
Matt’s experience includes representing closely held and publicly traded business clients on a wide variety of matters, including:
- Providing insurance coverage advisory and litigation services to policyholders.
- Litigating disputes involving employment, trade secret, business tort, and contract issues.
- Conducting internal corporate investigations and representing clients in state and federal governmental investigations.
Matt has represented clients in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals throughout the country at all stages of litigation, including trials, post-trial proceedings, and appeals.
Matt serves on the Board of Directors of Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio and Advantage Cleveland Tennis and Education.
He is an active participant in the Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, where he represents underprivileged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2015-2020
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State Law Review Research Editor, 2012
B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, Allegheny College, 2009
- While representing a large Northeastern Ohio municipality, obtained from the Ohio Supreme Court a favorable ruling on the merits in a $1.2 million municipal income tax refund case.
- Obtained summary judgment in the amount of more than $580,000, including attorney's fees and interest, in favor of one of Calfee's privately held clients.
- Obtained total summary judgment and dismissal of ERISA pension claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained injunction freezing the assets of four defendants in a multi-million-dollar ERISA health benefits dispute arising out of the mismanagement and underfunding of the welfare plans of one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of multi-million-dollar contract claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of environmental pollution claims brought against one of Calfee’s large privately held clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement in federal tax refund case for one of Calfee’s large public clients, resulting in a tax refund of more than $1 million.
- Obtained favorable judgment on multi-million-dollar breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy claims brought against Calfee’s client.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of multi-million-dollar business tort claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal of original action brought against an Ohio public official in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Obtained favorable early settlement of product warranty claims brought by one of Calfee’s publicly held clients, resulting in a substantial monetary settlement for Calfee’s publicly held client.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of private real estate developer, allowing multi-million-dollar construction project to resume.
- Obtained complete dismissal of lender’s claims brought against debtor client.
- Obtained from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals the reversal and remand of an erroneous federal district court ruling while representing an indigent criminal defendant in a federal habeas corpus proceeding.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio, board of directors
The Inner City Tennis Clinic, board of directors
Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, represents economically disadvantaged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis
News & Events
- Twenty-Eight Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal , 02.16.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit