While Matt has significant experience litigating complex insurance disputes on behalf of policyholders when such disputes become unavoidable, he brings a proactive, problem-solving approach to complex insurance coverage matters. Matt’s problem-solving mindset seeks to achieve favorable coverage outcomes for clients in lieu of time-consuming coverage litigation.
As a member of the White-Collar Defense and Investigations group, Matt represents public and privately held clients in internal investigations and state and federal governmental investigations.
As a member of the Employee Benefits Litigation group, Matt represents clients in ERISA disputes in federal court and assists ERISA fiduciaries and plan sponsors in proactively complying with their ERISA obligations.
In addition to his Insurance Recovery, White-Collar and Investigations, and Employee Benefits practices, Matt also maintains a diverse general business litigation practice representing closely held and publicly traded business clients on a wide variety of commercial matters. Matt has litigated disputes involving business torts, contracts, employment, and trade secret matters in state and federal courts nationwide at all stages of litigation, including trials, post-trial proceedings, and appeals.
Matt is an active participant in the Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, where he represents underprivileged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America© "Ones To Watch," Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law (2021-2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2015-2022)
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State Law Review Research Editor, 2012
B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, Allegheny College, 2009
- Obtained insurance coverage for privately held client in connection with potentially high-exposure toxic tort claims, causing large liability insurer to reverse several coverage denials prior to filing of coverage litigation.
- Obtained insurance coverage for privately held client in connection with “bet the company” shareholder litigation.
- Obtained favorable resolution of corruption investigation, resulting in the closing of the investigation with no charges against Calfee’s client.
- First-chaired a bench trial obtaining a permanent injunction and monetary judgment for public utility client.
- Following briefing and oral argument, obtained a unanimous decision from Ohio’s 8th District Court of Appeals resulting in a judgment entitling Calfee’s client to advancement of his litigation expenses during the pendency of litigation and the creation of new law involving Ohio’s corporate advancement statute.
- Following briefing and oral argument, obtained a unanimous decision from Ohio’s 8th District Court of Appeals affirming the total dismissal of an equitable reformation claim relating to a $1.343 million real estate transaction.
- Obtained early dismissal with prejudice of claims brought by the seller in connection with a $1.3 million real estate transaction.
- While representing a large Northeastern Ohio municipality, obtained from the Ohio Supreme Court a favorable ruling on the merits in a $1.2 million municipal income tax refund case.
- Obtained summary judgment in the amount of more than $580,000, including attorney's fees and interest, in favor of one of Calfee's privately held clients.
- Obtained total summary judgment and dismissal of ERISA pension claims brought against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained injunction freezing the assets of four defendants in a multi-million-dollar ERISA health benefits dispute arising out of the mismanagement and underfunding of the welfare plans of one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained dismissal in the trial and appeals courts of multi-million-dollar employee severance contract claims brought by former executives against one of Calfee’s large publicly held clients.
- Obtained favorable settlement in federal tax refund case for one of Calfee’s large public clients, resulting in a tax refund of more than $1 million.
- Obtained favorable judgment on multi-million-dollar breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy claims brought against Calfee’s client.
- Obtained dismissal of original action brought against an Ohio public official in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Obtained favorable early settlement of product warranty claims brought by one of Calfee’s publicly held clients, resulting in a seven-figure monetary settlement for Calfee’s publicly held client.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of private real estate developer, allowing multi-million-dollar construction project to resume.
- Obtained from the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals the reversal and remand of an erroneous federal district court ruling while representing an indigent criminal defendant in a federal habeas corpus proceeding.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Legal Aid Volunteer Lawyers Program, represents economically disadvantaged clients in various litigation matters on a pro bono basis
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Insurance Attorneys Matt Chiricosta and Nick Bonaminio Co-Author Article, "Satisfying Policy Retentions or Deductibles With Other People's Money"Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Calfee Insurance Recovery Partners Matt Chiricosta and Alex Reich Co-Author, "A Trap for the Unwary: Navigating Tricky Claim Notice Issues Under Claims-Made Insurance Policies"Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, October 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- James Sullivan and Matt Chiricosta Co-Author an Article on the Importance of Directors & Officers Liability Insurance to Private CompaniesCleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal,
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal ,
- Super Lawyers,
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Calfee Connections,
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit