Andy has helped clients in complex patent, trademark, and copyright litigation, inter partes reviews and Federal Circuit appeals. Having spent four years as a laboratory analyst at a major pharmaceutical company before attending law school, Andy successfully combines his technical and legal experience to help clients navigate complex IP issues. In addition to litigation, Andy also has experience in counseling clients regarding freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses.
Before joining Calfee in 2015, Andy was an associate at Baker & Hostetler LLP.
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2013
M.A., in Philosophy, Western Michigan University, 2006
B.S., Biology and Philosophy, Ashland University, 2004
Andy's recent litigation experience includes the following:
- Served on trial team for two global pharmaceutical companies as plaintiffs in a patent infringement case involving a billion-dollar Alzheimer’s drug, which resulted in a settlement days before trial. Drafted key briefs throughout pretrial litigation, assisted in depositions, and assisted in trial preparation.
- Successfully overturned Patent Trial and Appeal Board inter partes review decision at the Federal Circuit in MTD Products Inc. v. Iancu, 933 F.3d 1336 (Fed. Cir. 2019). Assisted in drafting all briefs and sat second chair at oral argument.
- Represents major radio manufacturer in defending and pursuing patent infringement claims against primary competitor. Assisted in defending and taking depositions, including defending survey expert deposition, coordinating e-discovery, and drafting dispositive briefs.
- Represents acclaimed tattoo artist in copyright infringement case against major video game developer.
- Represented international packaging company in inter partes review proceedings, successfully defending patentability for six of the client’s patents. Assisted in drafting preliminary responses.
- Represented international packaging company in defending and pursuing patent infringement claims before case resolved on favorable terms.
- Represented global outdoor power equipment company in pursuing patent infringement claims against direct competitor before case resolved on favorable terms.
- Represented major construction-materials companies in federal trademark infringement litigation, which resulted in favorable settlement. Assisted in preparing answer, written discovery requests and responses, and coordinated e-discovery process.
News & Events
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit