Having spent several years as a laboratory analyst at a major pharmaceutical company before attending law school, Andy successfully combines his technical and legal experience to counsel clients through complicated IP issues. Although Andy has specific expertise in the pharmaceutical, life science, and chemical sectors, he has advised clients across a wide range of industries and helped them navigate complex IP disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets, including in federal district court and on appeal.
As a registered patent attorney, Andy also assists clients in procuring patents, including assessing patentability, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, and representing patent owners in administrative proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Andy was selected for inclusion to "Ohio Rising Stars" list for Intellectual Property by Ohio Super Lawyers (2022-2023).
Andy earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School, his M.A. in Philosophy from Western Michigan University, and his B.S. in Biology and Philosophy from Ashland University.
Andy began his tenure at Calfee in 2015 and was elected Partner in 2023. Prior to joining Calfee, he was an associate at Baker & Hostetler LLP.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation - Intellectual Property, and Litigation - Patent (2024)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, Intellectual Property (2022-2023)
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2013
M.A., in Philosophy, Western Michigan University, 2006
B.S., Biology and Philosophy, Ashland University, 2004
Andy's recent litigation experience includes the following:
- Served on trial team for two global pharmaceutical companies as plaintiffs in a patent infringement case involving a billion-dollar Alzheimer’s drug, which resulted in a settlement days before trial. Drafted key briefs throughout pretrial litigation, assisted in depositions, and assisted in trial preparation.
- Successfully overturned Patent Trial and Appeal Board inter partes review decision at the Federal Circuit in MTD Products Inc. v. Iancu, 933 F.3d 1336 (Fed. Cir. 2019). Assisted in drafting all briefs and sat second chair at oral argument.
- Represents major radio manufacturer in defending and pursuing patent infringement claims against primary competitor. Assisted in defending and taking depositions, including defending survey expert deposition, coordinating e-discovery, and drafting dispositive briefs.
- Represents acclaimed tattoo artist in copyright infringement case against major video game developer.
- Represented international packaging company in inter partes review proceedings, successfully defending patentability for six of the client’s patents. Assisted in drafting preliminary responses.
- Represented international packaging company in defending and pursuing patent infringement claims before case resolved on favorable terms.
- Represented global outdoor power equipment company in pursuing patent infringement claims against direct competitor before case resolved on favorable terms.
- Represented major construction-materials companies in federal trademark infringement litigation, which resulted in favorable settlement. Assisted in preparing answer, written discovery requests and responses, and coordinated e-discovery process.
News & Events
- 93 Calfee Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Award Recipients; 6 Named “Lawyers of the Year”The Best Lawyers in America, 2024 edition,
- The A Game: An Adcom Podcast,
- Calfee Intellectual Property Attorneys Andrew Alexander and Joshua Friedman Have Been Elected Partners
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Elects New Managing Partner and Additional Firm and Practice Leaders and Partners
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Ohio Super Lawyers,
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit