Andy is experienced in drafting freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses in the chemical and biotechnology industries. Having spent four years as a laboratory analyst at a major pharmaceutical company before attending law school, Andy successfully combines his technical and legal experience to help clients navigate complex patent issues.
Before joining Calfee in 2015, Andy was an associate at Baker & Hostetler LLP.
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2013
M.A., in Philosophy, Western Michigan University, 2006
B.S., Biology and Philosophy, Ashland University, 2004
Andy's recent litigation experience includes the following:
- Served on trial team for two global pharmaceutical companies as plaintiffs in a patent infringement case involving a billion-dollar Alzheimer’s drug, which resulted in a settlement days before trial. Drafted key briefs throughout pretrial litigation, assisted in depositions, and assisted in trial preparation.
- Assisted in defending international packaging company in Inter Partes Review proceedings for several patents in which each petition for institution was denied. Assisted in drafting preliminary responses.
- Assists in defending global outdoor power equipment company in Inter Partes Review proceedings. Assisting in drafting formal response.
- Represents international packaging company in patent infringement litigation. Drafted successful motion for stay pending Inter Partes Review proceedings, assisted in drafting response to invalidity contentions.
- Represents global outdoor power equipment company in patent infringement litigation. Drafted motion to dismiss and performed legal research and analysis.
- Represents global plumbing fixture company in patent infringement litigation. Drafted complaint and performed legal research and analysis.
- Represented major construction-materials companies in federal trademark infringement litigation, which resulted in favorable settlement. Assisted in preparing answer, written discovery requests and responses, and coordinated e-discovery process.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit