Tom specializes in consummating mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, divestitures and joint ventures in a wide array of industries and for both public and private companies. In addition, he provides day-to-day general corporate counseling to his clients and regularly negotiates and drafts all types of commercial contractual arrangements.
In the health care industry, Tom advises hospital systems and other health care organizations, as well as early stage growth clients in the life sciences industries.
A representative list of clients with which Tom works is:
- The J.M. Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM)
- RPM International (NYSE: RPM)
- Linsalata Capital Partners
- Evolution Capital Partners
- Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (Nasdaq: PKOH)
- Americhem Group
- Covia Holdings Corp. (NYSE: CVIA)
- The MetroHealth System
- Akron General Health System
- Tarkett Enterprises Inc.
- Chart Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq: GTLS)
- CapitalWorks LLC
- Watervale Equity Partners
- Edgewater Capital Partners
Tom joined Calfee in 2003 and was elected Partner in 2012. He was elected to the firm's Management Committee in 2020.
Honors & Recognitions
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2014-2020)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2013)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Review Notes Editor, 2003
B.A., Miami University, 1999
Tom’s considerable experience includes having represented the following public and privately held companies and private equity firms:
- The J.M. Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM) in numerous acquisitions, including its acquisition of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition Parent, LLC, maker of Rachel Ray Nutrish brand of pet food for $1.9 billion, the acquisition of the Folgers coffee business from Procter & Gamble through a Reverse Morris Trust transaction valued at more than $3 billion, the acquisition of Rowland Coffee Roasters, and the acquisition of a majority of the North American foodservice coffee and hot beverage business of Sara Lee Corporation.
- RPM International (NYSE: RPM) and its affiliates in numerous acquisitions and divestitures worldwide, including its acquisition of the foam division of Clayton Corporation, best known for its consumer polyurethane foam brand Touch ‘N Foam; its acquisition of Karcher North America Company’s Prochem business, a manufacturer of professional equipment and chemicals for cleaning and restoring carpet, upholstery and hard floor surfaces; its acquisition of Kirker Enterprises, a leading manufacturer of nail care enamels, coatings components and related products for the personal care industry; its acquisition of Synta, a producer and marketer of innovative exterior wood deck and concrete restoration systems; and its acquisition of Krud Kutter, a producer of cleaners and removers for residential, commercial and industrial environments.
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of Spartan Foods of America, a leading manufacturer and distributor of shelf-stable pizza crusts, frozen pancakes, frozen pizzas and related products; its acquisition of Manhattan Beachwear, a leading supplier of women’s swimwear and beachwear; its acquisition and divestiture of Augusta Sportswear, a leading provider of athletic-oriented apparel, team uniforms, sportswear and other accessories; its acquisition and divestiture of Transtar, a distributor of remanufactured automotive aftermarket products; its acquisition and divestiture of Stanton Carpet, a manufacturer of decorative, high-quality branded carpet and rugs.
- Evolution Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in several acquisitions and divestitures, including the acquisition of Turf Ventures, an Illinois-based distributor of fertilizers, fungicides and other chemicals to the professional turf industry; the divestiture of Innerpac, a leading manufacturer and distributor of specialty and die-cut partitions and layer pads; and the divestiture of Accurate Group Holdings LLC, a technology-enabled outsourced provider of real estate transaction services to mortgage lending and loan servicing clients.
- Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (Nasdaq: PKOH) in its acquisition of Autoform Tool & Manufacturing Inc., a leading supplier of direct injection fuel rails, high pressure inlet and crossover pipes, low pressure inlet pipes, and conventional low pressure multi-port injection fuel rails utilized by automotive and truck manufacturers; and its acquisition of the molding division of Wisconsin-based Trostel Ltd., a leading manufacturer of rubber-molded products utilizing a variety of elastomer materials and manufacturing technologies.
- Americhem Group, a global provider of color and additive and engineered compound solutions for the polymer industry, in its acquisition of Vi-Chem Corporation, a supplier of specialty engineered compounds used in injection molding, extrusion and blow molding applications; its acquisition of Infinity Compounding, a producer of filled and reinforced engineering resin compounds; and its acquisition of LTL Color, a premier compounder of custom color engineered thermoplastics.
- Fairmount Santrol Inc. in its sale of a 51% interest to American Securities and a $775 million credit facility in connection therewith.
- Akron General Health System in its initial affiliation with and subsequent full member substitution by The Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
- Tarkett SA in its acquisition of Dalton, Georgia-based Lexmark Carpet Mills, a well recognized brand among leading hospitality chains and in residential markets; and its acquisition of the Tandus Group, a leading designer, manufacturer and seller of carpet flooring products and accessories.
- Chart Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq: GTLS) and its affiliates in numerous acquisitions, including its biomedical segment’s acquisition of Covidien Group S.A.R.L.’s (NYSE: COV) and its affiliates’ oxygen therapy business, including the manufacturing, sales and service functions from over thirty countries; its biomedical segment’s acquisition of SeQual Technologies, Inc., a leader in portable oxygen concentrators; and its distribution and storage segment’s acquisition of Cryotech International, Inc.’s cryogenic injector business.
- CapitalWorks LLC in several acquisitions and investments, including its preferred investment in Advanced Hydro Solutions, a developer of hydro-electric projects; the acquisition of Gallo Displays, a marketing and communications company that provides design, engineering, production and service; and the acquisition of Bluffton Motor Works, a manufacturer of custom fractional horsepower motors.
- Lexi-Comp, Inc., a developer of clinical information solutions, in its sale to Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Association for Corporate Growth’s Cleveland Chapter, Board of Directors, President-Elect and Former Chair of its annual Deal Maker Awards Event
- Cleveland Baseball Federation, Board of Directors and Former President
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, Associate Board
- "I have used Calfee, Halter & Griswold on over 75 transactions. They have consistently provided excellent counsel – a sound balance of legal interpretation with commercial practicality. Tom Welsh has been the lead on almost of all of these transactions, and I would not hesitate to recommend his services in particular, and the firm in general." - Calfee client, as reported by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in their 2019 “Best Law Firms” rankings report
News & Events
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- CMS Adjusts “PFS Relativity Adjuster” Further Downwards for Non-Excepted Off-Campus Provider-Based Hospital Departments11.14.2017