Tom specializes in consummating mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, divestitures and joint ventures in a wide array of industries and for both public and private companies. In addition, he provides day-to-day general corporate counseling to his clients and regularly negotiates and drafts all types of commercial contractual arrangements.
In the health care industry, Tom advises hospital systems and other health care organizations, as well as early stage growth clients in the life sciences industries.
Tom joined Calfee in 2003 and was elected Partner in 2012.
Honors & Recognitions
Ohio Super Lawyers, 2014-2019
Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2013
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Review Notes Editor, 2003
B.A., Miami University, 1999
Tom’s considerable experience includes having represented the following public and privately held companies and private equity firms:
- Akron General Health System in its initial affiliation with and subsequent full member substitution by The Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
- Americhem Group, a global provider of color and additive and engineered compound solutions for the polymer industry, in its acquisition of Vi-Chem Corporation, a supplier of specialty engineered compounds used in injection molding, extrusion and blow molding applications; its acquisition of Infinity Compounding, a producer of filled and reinforced engineering resin compounds; and its acquisition of LTL Color, a premier compounder of custom color engineered thermoplastics.
- CapitalWorks LLC in several acquisitions and investments, including its preferred investment in Advanced Hydro Solutions, a developer of hydro-electric projects; the acquisition of Gallo Displays, a marketing and communications company that provides design, engineering, production and service; and the acquisition of Bluffton Motor Works, a manufacturer of custom fractional horsepower motors.
- Chart Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq: GTLS) and its affiliates in numerous acquisitions, including its biomedical segment’s acquisition of Covidien Group S.A.R.L.’s (NYSE: COV) and its affiliates’ oxygen therapy business, including the manufacturing, sales and service functions from over thirty countries; its biomedical segment’s acquisition of SeQual Technologies, Inc., a leader in portable oxygen concentrators; and its distribution and storage segment’s acquisition of Cryotech International, Inc.’s cryogenic injector business.
- Evolution Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in several acquisitions and divestitures, including the acquisition of Turf Ventures, an Illinois-based distributor of fertilizers, fungicides and other chemicals to the professional turf industry; the divestiture of Innerpac, a leading manufacturer and distributor of specialty and die-cut partitions and layer pads; and the divestiture of Accurate Group Holdings LLC, a technology-enabled outsourced provider of real estate transaction services to mortgage lending and loan servicing clients.
- Fairmount Santrol Inc. (NSYE: FMSA) in numerous transactions, including the sale of a 51% interest to American Securities and a $775 million credit facility in connection therewith and in the acquisition of its Self-Suspending Proppant technology from Soane Energy.
- The J. M. Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM) in numerous acquisitions, including its acquisition of the Folgers coffee business from Procter & Gamble through a Reverse Morris Trust transaction valued at more than $3 billion dollars, the acquisition of Rowland Coffee Roasters, and the acquisition of a majority of the North American foodservice coffee and hot beverage business of Sara Lee Corporation.
- Lexi-Comp, Inc., a developer of clinical information solutions, in its sale to Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of Spartan Foods of America, a leading manufacturer and distributor of shelf-stable pizza crusts, frozen pancakes, frozen pizzas and related products; its acquisition of Manhattan Beachwear, a leading supplier of women’s swimwear and beachwear; its acquisition and divestiture of Augusta Sportswear, a leading provider of athletic-oriented apparel, team uniforms, sportswear and other accessories; its acquisition and divestiture of Transtar, a distributor of remanufactured automotive aftermarket products; and its acquisition and divestiture of Stanton Carpet, a manufacturer of decorative, high-quality branded carpet and rugs.
- RPM International (NSYE: RPM) and its affiliates in numerous acquisitions and divestitures worldwide, including its acquisition of the foam division of Clayton Corporation, best known for its consumer polyurethane foam brand Touch ‘N Foam; its acquisition of Karcher North America Company’s Prochem business, a manufacturer of professional equipment and chemicals for cleaning and restoring carpet, upholstery and hard floor surfaces; its acquisition of Kirker Enterprises, a leading manufacturer of nail care enamels, coatings components and related products for the personal care industry; its acquisition of Synta, a producer and marketer of innovative exterior wood deck and concrete restoration systems; and its acquisition of Krud Kutter, a producer of cleaners and removers for residential, commercial and industrial environments.
- Park-Ohio Holdings Corp. (Nasdaq: PKOH) in its acquisition of Autoform Tool & Manufacturing Inc., a leading supplier of direct injection fuel rails, high pressure inlet and crossover pipes, low pressure inlet pipes, and conventional low pressure multi-port injection fuel rails utilized by automotive and truck manufacturers.
- Tarkett Enterprises Inc. in its acquisition of the Tandus Group, a leading designer, manufacturer and seller of carpet flooring products and accessories.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Association for Corporate Growth’s Cleveland Chapter, Board of Directors, Chair of its annual Deal Maker Awards event
Cleveland Baseball Federation, President of the Board of Directors
Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, Associate Board and Chair of its Community Engagement Committee
News & Events
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- CMS Adjusts “PFS Relativity Adjuster” Further Downwards for Non-Excepted Off-Campus Provider-Based Hospital Departments11.14.2017