Calfee’s broad M&A practice includes a wealth of experience advising public companies and their boards in connection with mergers, acquisitions and other strategic transactions. In addition to representing public company buyers and sellers, we also have extensive experience advising boards on shareholder activism, takeover preparedness, fiduciary duties, and SEC and stock exchange requirements.
Our lawyers have been involved in counseling all of the various parties involved in takeover proposals (bidders, targets, special committees, lenders, intervening bidders, financial advisors, etc.), so we understand the perspectives of all of the players involved. Traditional counseling in this area is carefully balanced against the various fiduciary duty, corporate governance and investor relations perspectives, including for example the impact and likely response by institutional shareholder groups (including ISS) to certain strategies or protective measures.
Chambers USA 2022 Band 2 Ranking in Corporate/M&A – Ohio: North
For more than a decade, Calfee has been ranked for Corporate/M&A – Ohio by Chambers USA. Chambers USA commentators noted Calfee's Corporate and Finance practice "Draws from an impressive statewide team with a strong track record across a broad range of corporate and transactional matters, acting on behalf of public and private businesses and financial institutions. Areas of excellence include M&A, securities offerings and private equity and venture capital fund formation. Calfee also offers notable capital markets expertise, with particular strengths in acting for underwriters."
Source interviewed by Chambers USA said, "They consistently bring strong talent to any situation, operate in a seamless manner and remain calm even under stressful circumstances. A client appreciates the team's business-oriented, practical approach."
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2023 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in the following areas:
- Corporate Compliance Law (Regional Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Corporate Governance Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Corporate Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Columbus, Regional Tier 2 Cincinnati)
- Mergers & Acquisitions Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Columbus)
- Securities / Capital Markets Law (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland, Regional Tier 1 Cincinnati)
- Securities Regulation (National Tier 2, Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
- Tax Law (Regional Tier 1 Cleveland)
IFLR1000 (United States), Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms and Lawyers
Calfee was selected for inclusion in IFLR1000 – Guide to the World's Leading Financial and Corporate Law Firms in 20222/2023:
- Capital Markets (Recommended Law Firm – Ohio)
- M&A (Tier 2 – Ohio)