Art’s practice focuses on the representation of public company clients and investment banks with respect to capital raising activities, corporate governance and executive compensation matters and merger and acquisition transactions. His experience includes representing issuers and underwriters in more than 80 public equity and debt offerings, including initial public offerings and 144A offerings, as well as tender offers and exchange offers.
He routinely assists public company clients in preparing Securities and Exchange Commission filings, such as Form 10-Ks, Form 10-Qs and proxy statements. Art also advises public companies and their boards with respect to corporate governance and executive compensation matters and provides counsel on fiduciary duties and a variety of federal securities law compliance issues.
Art’s practice in this area includes counseling on shareholder activism matters, and he has been actively involved in several proxy contests, including a recent high-profile national contest.
Art has routinely been recognized as one of "America's Leading Lawyers" by Chambers USA, most recently in 2020 for Corporate/M&A in Ohio.
He also has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2021) in the areas of Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation, and Corporate Law and named the Best Lawyers Securities Regulation “Lawyer of the Year” in Cleveland for 2021 and previously in 2019.
Prior to practicing law, Art worked as a corporate relationship officer for two money center banks and served as the manager of corporate development for a large energy company.
A member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Art is a frequent speaker on a variety of securities and corporate governance topics. He recently chaired a panel at the 16th annual RR Donnelly SEC Hot Topics Institute.
Art is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Great Lakes Theater, Business Volunteers Unlimited and The City Mission. He is a member of the Leadership Cleveland Class of 2021.
Art was previously an associate with the law firms of Vinson & Elkins LLP and Jones Day. He joined Calfee in 1996 and became a partner in 2003. He has served as chair of the firm’s Associates Committee, and he is a member of the firm's Management, Practice Planning & Growth, and Diversity & Inclusion Committees.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, Band 3 (2015-2020)
- Chambers USA 2020 noted, "The 'superb' Art Hall wins praise for his 'expert but practical advice,' with clients also citing his 'extensive knowledge of federal securities law' as a key strength. He is particularly well versed in advising public companies and investors on financing issues and corporate governance matters."
- In previous Chambers USA reports, a client stated "Art has it all: he’s got that depth of SEC knowledge and understands how it really works, as well as a wonderful practical side.”
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation, Corporate Law (2016-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Securities Regulation “Lawyer of the Year," Cleveland (2019, 2021)
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 1993
M.B.A., Duke University, 1986
B.A., Franklin and Marshall College, 1984