Jenn serves all types of clients from start-ups, to closely held family businesses to multi-national public companies in a broad range of industries, including healthcare, energy, chemicals, construction, food services and consumer products.
Jenn has worked on a variety of merger and acquisition transactions, representing both buyers and sellers, including numerous privately held companies and public companies such as the following:
- American Greetings
- Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH)
- Chart Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: GTLS)
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. (NYSE: CLF)
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE: FOE)
- Independence Excavating, Inc.
- The J.M. Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM)
- The L.D. Kichler Co.
- The Lincoln Electric Company (NASDAQ: LECO)
Serving as the firm's lead liaison to Lex Mundi, a leading network of more than 150 independent law firms and 22,000 attorneys worldwide, positions Jenn well to provide global legal counsel to her international clients.
Jenn has been recognized for her work in Corporate/M&A – Ohio by Chambers USA for five years, most recently in 2022 in Band 4. Chambers USA researchers noted, "Jenn's clients regularly call upon her to handle a broad array of M&A and capital markets transactions." Clients interviewed by Chambers USA researchers commented, "Jenn is a strong communicator with excellent client skills. She is smart, experienced and responsive. She's a pragmatic corporate and transactional lawyer who understands what the important issues are. Jenn is responsive, effortlessly works on issues and has cross-border contacts to assist with matters."
Chambers USA 2020 researchers noted that Jenn's clients cite her "practical and responsive demeanor as a key asset in corporate work and regularly call upon her to handle a broad array of M&A and capital markets transactions." Another source added, "She got us out of a good number of tight spots and got the deals over the line. She was very hardworking and available at any time of the day."
Jenn is a member of the 2018 Leadership Cleveland class. She was elected to join In Counsel With Women in 2018.
She was named Firm Vice Chair in 2023 and serves on the firm’s Management Committee. Jenn has served as a member of the Practice Planning & Growth Committee (formerly known as the Executive Committee); she is a member of the Calfee Women Lead affinity group.
Jenn is a regular presenter at seminars and the author of numerous publications.
Prior to joining Calfee, Jenn was an Associate with the Chicago law firm of Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP and then an Associate with the Des Moines firm of Nyemaster, Goode, Voigts, West, Hansell & O’Brien, P.C. She began her tenure with Calfee in 2001 and was elected Partner in 2007. She was elected to the Management Committee in 2021 and was named Firm Vice Chair in 2023.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA 2022, Corporate/M&A, Band 4, Ohio
- IFLR1000 – Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, “Highly Regarded Attorney” in M&A, Capital Markets: Debt and Capital Markets: Equity (2019-2023)
- IFLR1000 Elite Dealmaker, Capital Markets, Mergers & Acquisitions (2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2023)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate (2013-2020, 2023); Top 50 Women Lawyers in Ohio and Top 25 Women Lawyers in Cleveland (2014-2015, 2017)
J.D., magna cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Order of the Coif, Richard A. Collier Award, Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine Editor-in-Chief, 1997
B.A., cum laude, College of the Holy Cross, Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
Jennifer’s considerable expertise includes the following representative transactions and clients:
- The J.M. Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- Purchase of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition Parent, LLC, maker of Rachel Ray Nutrish brand of pet food for $1.9 billion
- Merger with a Sahale Snacks, a manufacturer of gourmet nut and fruit blends
- Acquisition of Eagle Family Foods
- The L.D. Kichler Co. (aka Kichler Lighting) and its affiliates in its sale to Masco Corporation of its lighting business for a purchase price of approximately $550 million.
- The Lincoln Electric Company (NASDAQ: LECO) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- Purchase of Coldwater Machine Company and ProSystems LLC, automation systems designers and integrators serving industrial, electrical and medical applications
- Purchase of substantially all of the assets of two companies that were developers and manufacturers of welding training products
- Courtland Partners, Ltd, a real estate investment advisory company in its sale to StepStone Group Real Estate LP
- Ferro Corporation (NYSE: FOE) in several acquisitions and divestiture transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Delta Performance Products, LLC., a manufacturer and distributor of pool and aggregate quartz color pigments
- Merger with TherMark Holdings, Inc., a leader in laser marking technology
- Its divestiture of its pharmaceutical business to PLI Holdings, Inc., an affiliate of MedOpportunity Partners, LLC
- Divestiture of U.S. and Chinese fine chemicals business to Novolyte Technologies LP, an affiliate of Arsenal Capital Management LP for approximately $60 million
- Acquisition of certain assets related to the grinding and fabrication fluids business of Fluid Logic LLC, of Portland, Oregon
- Chart Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: GTLS) and its affiliates in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, including:
- Acquisition of Hetsco, Inc. from Global Power Equipment Group, Inc. (OTC: CLPW), a provider of welding and construction services, natural gas processing, petrochemical and air gas separation industries
- Acquisition of Thermax, Inc. and affiliates, leaders in manufacturing and distributing cryogenic fluid vaporizers utilized in industrial gas, petrochemical, and liquefied natural gas applications
- Its energy and chemicals segment’s sale to Stabilis Energy of liquefied natural gas (LNG) production facilities
- Its biomedical segment’s acquisition of Sequal Technologies
- Its biomedical segment’s acquisition of Covidien Group S.A.R.L.’s (NYSE: COV) and its affiliates’ oxygen therapy business, including the manufacturing, sales and service functions from more than 30 countries
- Its distribution and storage segment’s acquisition of Cryotech International, Inc.’s cryogenic injector business
- Its energy and chemicals segment’s acquisition of Tulsa, Oklahoma-based Cooler Service Company, Inc., a leading provider of air cooled heat exchangers into multiple markets including hydrocarbon, petrochemical and industrial gas processing
- American Greetings Corporation in several transactions, including:
- Its divestiture of certain assets exclusively related to its Webshots business to Threefold Photos
- Sale of certain assets used in the manufacture and distribution of party goods to Amscan Holdings, Inc (Amscan) for a purchase price in excess of $24 million
- Disposition of certain assets used in the manufacture and distribution of its Gorant chocolate business
- Disposition of certain assets related to the manufacture and distribution of its candle product lines to Lighthouse Candles, LLC
- Sale of VPI Quality Windows to Jeld-Wen (NYSE: JELD)
- Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- Purchase of the stock of the developer and manufacturer of a coated anti-microbial adhesive on polyethylene materials
- Purchase of substantially all of the assets of a supplier and distributor of pharmaceutical critical care and fractionated blood products
- Purchase of a cyclotron facility in Wichita, Kansas