A significant portion of Terry’s practice includes counseling public company clients regarding their ongoing reporting requirements, corporate governance matters and various other matters affecting public companies and their officers and directors.
Terry serves as Co-Leader of Calfee's Private Equity practice. The private equity funds with which Terry has worked include Align Capital Partners, Linsalata Capital Partners, Evolution Capital Partners, CapitalWorks and MCM Capital Partners.
Terry also has worked on a variety of mergers and acquisitions transactions and corporate governance matters with public companies such as RPM International, The J. M. Smucker Company, Invacare Corporation and Chart Industries.
Since 2018, Terry has been recognized for his work in Corporate/M&A - Ohio: North by Chambers USA. In 2021, Terry was ranked by Chambers USA in Band 4. Chambers USA researchers commented, "[Terry] is held in particularly high regard for his abilities in advising private equity investors on transactional matters, alongside broader corporate work for portfolio companies." A client interviewed by Chambers USA researchers said, "Terry is creative, detail-oriented and has a good business mind."
Terry joined Calfee in 2008.
Honors & Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Corporate/M&A, Band 4 (2018-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2020-2022) and Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2022)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2014-2021)
- Named to Ohio Rising Stars (2013)
- Forty Under 40 Honoree, Crain's Cleveland Business (2019)
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2008
B.A., cum laude, Boston College, 2004
Terry’s experience includes having represented the following public and privately held companies and private equity firms:
- Align Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including the acquisitions of Protegis, a provider of fire safety equipment and services, SEAM Group, a provider of safety and enterprise asset management services, Barrow-Agee Labs, a full-service food safety and quality lab, Southwest Elevator, an elevator service and repair company and Marco Rubber, a value added distributor of o-rings and other products.
- Linsalata Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including its acquisition of Excell, a premier food service equipment and supplies marketing and procurement group; its acquisition of Glynlyon, a leading national provider of technology-enabled secular and faith-based education curriculum; its acquisition of Happy Floors, a leading designer, importer and distributor of premium Italian and Spanish porcelain tile products; its sale of Home Decor, a distributor of wall decor, lamps, decorative pillows, accent furniture and accessories; and its sale of Stag-Parkway, an aftermarket distributor of recreational vehicle parts and accessories.
- RPM International (NYSE: RPM) and its subsidiaries in numerous transactions including the acquisition of Kirker Enterprises, a developer and manufacturer of innovative nail products; Synta, a manufacturer of deck restoration products; Expanko Resilient Flooring, a manufacturer of high performance floors for commercial environments; Chemtron International, a manufacturer of adhesives, sealants and tapes; and Specialty Polymer Coatings, a manufacturer of epoxy and polyurethane coatings.
- Evolution Capital Partners and its portfolio companies in several transactions including acquisitions of Monolith Software, Heavy Equipment Colleges, ROI Networks, Knowledge Center, Cascade Healthcare Services, Axiom Sales Force Development, Budco Financial and Lewellyn Technologies.
- Invacare Corporation (NYSE: IVC) in its recent sale of certain subsidiaries, including the sale of stock of a subsidiary to a privately held strategic competitor for $150 million where the buyer was being sold to a Fortune 100 competitor.
- ExactCare Pharmacy, LLC in its sale of substantial minority equity interest to a private equity investor; and two years later, a subsequent “upsized” recapitalization to take out the initial private equity investor; and sale of additional equity interests to Nautic Partners, a larger private equity investor.
- CapitalWorks and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of Bancsource, a manufacturer of financial equipment.
- Cleveland Thermal Holdings LLC in the sale of its membership interests of Cleveland Thermal LLC, which owned and operated the district heating and cooling systems in downtown Cleveland, Ohio, that provided both steam for heating and chilled water for cooling to numerous customers.
- Tarkett Enterprises Inc. in its acquisition of the Tandus Group, a leading designer, manufacturer and seller of carpet flooring products and accessories.
- Lexi-Comp, Inc., a developer of clinical information software solutions, in its sale to Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.