John advises Calfee’s corporate clients and business owners on general corporate law matters, including mergers and acquisitions, securities, finance, succession planning, venture capital and private equity investments. He has represented both buyers and sellers, including numerous privately held companies and public companies such as Invacare Corporation, Linsalata Capital Partners, MobilityWorks and Resilience Capital Partners.
John's experience with private equity funds, startup entities and commercial financings enables him to assist clients with the legal aspects of capital raising initiatives in both up and down rounds. He counsels startup companies with respect to entity selection and formation, buy-sell agreements and management agreements.
John works closely with Calfee’s estate planning attorneys to maximize the benefits for future generations in ownership successions and exit events.
He is a frequent presenter at seminars and the author of several publications.
John serves as Chair of the Calfee's Hiring Committee, and he is a member of the firm's Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
J.D., magna cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Order of the Coif, Law Review, Executive Committee, National Moot Court, 1998
B.S.E. from the Wharton School, B.A. from the College of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 1995
John’s considerable expertise includes having represented the following public and privately held companies and private equity firms:
- Invacare Corporation (NYSE: IVC), a leading manufacturer and distributor of home and long-term care medical products in numerous acquisitions and divestitures, including:
- divestiture of Invacare Supply Group, a distribution business focused on disposable medical products
- divestiture of Altimate Medical, a manufacturer and seller of standing and mobility aids
- divestiture of Champion Manufacturing, a manufacturer of medical recliners
- divestiture of Dynamic Medical Systems, a provider of medical equipment, clinical consulting and educational training programs
- divestiture of Garden City Medical, a distributor of durable medical equipment.
- Linsalata Capital Partners, an Ohio-based private equity firm, and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions including:
- sale of Eatem Foods, a manufacturer of bases and flavoring for soups, sauces and other foods
- sale of Whitcraft, a provider of engineering and manufacturing services for the aerospace industry
- acquisition of Berkshire Manufactured Products by Whitcraft
- sale of Hospitality Mints, a manufacturer of private label mints and other confections
- Metric Collective, a firm specializing in acquiring and growing internet technology-based companies, in several transactions, including:
- acquisition of Discover Dandelion, a service company providing digital advertising as a service
- acquisition of Boostable by Discover Dandelion
- acquisition of Union Square Linens (f/k/a RazaTrade), an on-line wholesaler of premiums linens, and subsequent sale of Union Square to Banda Apparel
- sale of AddressReport.com, Inc., an on-line searchable database of residential real estate records and related neighborhood metrics, to OnBoard.
- SPR Therapeutics, a manufacturer of neurostimulation products for chronic pain management, in its $25 million Series C equity financing
- The Benjamin Rose Institute, a Cleveland non-profit focused on supporting older adults and their caregivers, in its acquisition of the East Side Organizing Project (d/b/a Empowering and Strengthening Ohio’s People), a Cleveland-based non-profit housing and financial counseling agency
- Western Reserve Capital Partners, a Cleveland-based investment banking firm, in its acquisition by Citizens Capital Markets
- Hartland & Co., an investment advisory firm for institutions and high net worth individuals, in connection with a minority equity investment by Rosemont Partners
- Kirtland Capital Partners, in its sale of MicroGroup, Inc., a manufacturer of precision machined tubes and components for the medical industry, to TE Connectivity Corporation
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Calfee's Hiring Committee, Chair
The City Club of Cleveland, executive committee and chair of Governance Committee
Wharton Club of Northeast Ohio, treasurer and board member
Edwins Leadership & Restaurant Institute, board member
News & Events
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Food and Beverage
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Public Companies
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Individuals and Families