David has more than a decade of experience defending public companies and their officers and directors in securities fraud class actions, SEC investigations, shareholder derivative cases and fiduciary duty litigation. He has also counseled clients regarding securities law issues in connection with regulatory proceedings, corporate investigations and whistleblower claims.
David also has extensive experience representing companies in complex corporate and transactional disputes. David helps these clients develop and execute robust litigation strategies, thoroughly analyze and manage litigation risks and resolve disputes cost-effectively.
David’s appellate practice has included cases before several U.S. Courts of Appeals, as well as one case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
David also has deep experience defending clients across the entire spectrum of ERISA litigation, including breach of fiduciary duty, prohibited transaction, stock drop, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), and 401(k) plan fee litigation. He has significant experience advising clients with respect to a wide variety of ESOP issues, including ESOP transactions. David also advises plan sponsors and fiduciaries regarding litigation risk associated with managing plan assets and monitoring plan investments.
In addition to traditional litigation, David helps clients identify key risk areas within their business as well as develop solutions to navigate and address them.
Beyond his primary areas of litigation expertise, David represents clients in a wide variety of complex business litigation matters, including contractual disputes, breach of fiduciary duty litigation, employee benefits litigation, and probate litigation, as well as other business, commercial and corporate disputes.
Honors & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation's “40 & Under Hot List," ERISA, General Commercial and Securities Litigation (2018-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation (2021)
- Cincy Magazine, "Cincy Leading Lawyers," Business Litigation (2018-2021)
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars (2013-2021)
J.D., William & Mary Law School, Benjamin Rush Scholar: Excellence in Health Law and Bioethics, 2008
B.S.B.A. in Finance, summa cum laude, Auburn University, 2004
- Defended a public company in an SEC enforcement action alleging violations of federal securities laws arising out of the company’s accounting treatment of a U.S. Department of Justice investigation. The SEC alleged that the company failed to timely disclose and record an accrual for the DOJ investigation under generally accepted accounting principles and federal securities laws. The parties reached a settlement after six years of investigation and litigation.
- Defended the former Chair of comScore, Inc.’s Board of Directors in federal securities class action and shareholder derivative lawsuits brought against the company and its officers and directors relating to the company’s alleged accounting practices. The parties reached settlements in each of the lawsuits.
- Represented Fifth Third Bancorp in the first ERISA stock drop case to reach the Supreme Court of the United States. In the landmark decision, Fifth Third Bancorp v. Dudenhoeffer, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled in favor of Fifth Third in establishing high pleading standards for lower courts to apply in evaluating claims against ESOP fiduciaries for breach of ERISA’s duty of prudence in relation to the ESOP’s investment in employer stock.
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio's Grow PBPO Advisory Council, supporting the Board of Directors of the nonprofit organization that provides pro bono legal services to other nonprofit organizations
- Oyler School A.P. Hampton Mentoring Program, Volunteer Mentor
News & Events
- Calfee Partners Jason J. Blake and David Bules Named to Benchmark Litigation's 2021 "40 & Under Hot List"Benchmark Litigation, 07.21.2021
- Cincy Magazine, 03.01.2021
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 07.31.2020
- Cincy Magazine, 01.30.2020
- Twenty-Four Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2020 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars11.27.2019
- Cincy Magazine, 01.29.2019
- Super Lawyers, 12.17.2018
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars12.06.2017
- David Bules to Present to Association of Corporate Counsel on Shareholder Issues for In-House Counsel08.03.2017
- David T. Bules Has Joined the Planning Committee for the Mayfield Education & Research Foundation's "Art & Science of Healing 2017 Event"12.29.2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court