Throughout his legal career, Brent has been a respected business and legal adviser to privately held business clients, operating as in-house counsel to the management teams and the multi-generational family owners of those businesses.
During the nearly 20 years that Brent has led the firm as Managing Partner, he and the Management Committee have focused on strategic growth initiatives that, at their core, have aligned with the fundamental goal of serving clients by attracting the best legal talent from an increasingly diverse, entrepreneurial and collaborative team of attorneys and staff. The firm has grown from two offices in Ohio to six offices across three states and Washington, D.C., serving clients in many major metropolitan areas across the U.S. and in Canada, Europe and Asia. Brent's legacy as Managing Partner includes leading Calfee through the Great Recession and the COVID-19 pandemic while preserving the firm's unique culture based on mutual trust and respect for the firm's members, its clients and community partners.
Brent has championed diversifying the legal industry, and he actively participates in community-focused initiatives that support the educational success of diverse students and the professional success of diverse attorneys and professionals. Over the past 15+ years, Calfee has worked diligently to recruit, retain, and promote women and diverse leaders within the firm and the business community. This work continues to be a focus area for Brent as he seeks to leverage his contacts in legal and business circles to provide resources and support for diversity and inclusion goals.
Using his knowledge and experience, Brent also helps athletes establish, monetize and protect their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL).
Brent joined Calfee in 1985, was elected partner in 1993, joined the Executive Committee in 1999 and the Management Committee in 2002. He was elected Managing Partner in 2004.
He has served on a variety of boards and committees in Northeast Ohio's business, education, and service community, including the following active board membership positions:
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, the largest metropolitan chamber of commerce in the nation
- University Circle Inc., the community service corporation responsible for developing, serving, and advocating for University Circle as a vibrant and complete neighborhood without borders
- Playhouse Square Foundation, Cleveland’s renowned performing arts district
- University School, K-12 private school for boys in Greater Cleveland
- Bridgestone Senior Players Championship, one of five major championships on golf's PGA Tour Champions, and a major fundraiser for local charities
- Bluecoats, a charitable organization contributing significant financial and education assistance to families of local first responders who lost their lives in the line of duty
In addition, Brent is the immediate past board president of the Union Club of Cleveland and past board president of University School and the 50 Club. At Case Western Reserve University School of Law, he serves as a member of the Society of Benchers (hall of fame) and the Visiting Committee (business advisers). He was a member of Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2003.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law and Real Estate Law (2006-2023)
- “Notable in Law,” Crain’s Cleveland Business (2022)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Review, 1985
M.P.S., Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1980
B.A., Economics, Bates College, 1978
University School, 1974
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- CWRU School of Law, Society of Benchers (Hall of Fame, inducted 2005)
- CWRU School of Law, Visiting Committee (Business Advisers, 2005-present)
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, Board of Directors (2012-present)
- University Circle Inc., Board of Trustees (2021-present), Executive Committee (2022-present)
- Bluecoats, Board of Directors (2004-present)
- University School, Board of Trustees (2005-present), President (2013-2017)
Playhouse Square Foundation, Board of Trustees (2013-present), Secretary/Treasurer (2017-2020), Vice Chair (2020-present)
- Ohio Business Roundtable, Member
- Union Club of Cleveland, Board of Trustees (2005-2019), President (2017-2019)
- 50 Club, Executive Committee (2012-2014), President (2013-2014)
- Leadership Cleveland Class of 2003
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Crain’s Cleveland Business,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 2019