Brent is highly respected in the legal industry nationally and internationally, often asked to speak on topics related to leading law firms through rapidly changing times.
Widely recognized as a top business executive in the Greater Cleveland community and beyond, he is active on boards of several private companies and key civic and education institutions.
He counsels corporate clients in the areas of real estate and development, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and general corporate law, handling a broad range of legal and business issues. He also works closely with borrowers and lenders on business financings and capitalizations.
His leadership trajectory at Calfee has been swift. He joined the firm in 1985, made partner in 1993, was elected to the Executive Committee in 1999 and the Management Committee in 2002, before becoming Managing Partner in 2004 at age 49.
Long active in the community, he currently serves on five nonprofit boards:
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, the largest metropolitan chamber of commerce in the nation
- Playhouse Square Foundation, Cleveland’s renowned performing arts district
- University School, K-12 private school for boys in Greater Cleveland and his alma mater
- Bridgestone Senior Players Championship, one of five major championships on golf's PGA Tour Champions, and major fundraiser for local charities
- Bluecoats, a quiet charity contributing significant financial and education assistance to families of local police officers, firefighters, and other safety forces who lost their lives in the line of duty
In addition, Brent is immediate past president of the Union Club of Cleveland, past president of University School and the 50 Club, and member of the Leadership Cleveland Class of 2003. At Case Western Reserve University School of Law, he is a member of the Society of Benchers (hall of fame) and the Visiting Committee (business advisors).
He is an ardent believer in the power and value of education, as demonstrated by his active involvement. His affection and loyalty for his native Cleveland are evident in his impressive record of civic leadership.
Brent and his wife, Ann, have been married 36 years, are parents of three young adults and recently became grandparents.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law and Real Estate Law (2006-2021)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Review, 1985
M.P.S., Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1980
B.A., Economics, Bates College, 1978
University School, 1974
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- CWRU School of Law, Society of Benchers (hall of fame) (Inducted 2005)
- CWRU School of Law, Visiting Committee (business advisers) (2005-present)
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, Board of Directors (2012-present)
- Bluecoats, Board of Directors (2004-present)
- University School, Board of Trustees (2005-present), President (2013-2017)
Playhouse Square Foundation, Board of Trustees (2013-present), Secretary/Treasurer (2017-2020), Vice Chair (2020-present)
- Bridgestone Senior Players Championship, Championship Council President, Executive Committee (2020)
- Ohio Business Roundtable, Member
- Union Club of Cleveland, Board of Trustees (2005-2019), President (2017-2019)
- 50 Club, Executive Committee (2012-2014), President (2013-2014)
- Leadership Cleveland Class of 2003
News & Events
- Seventy-five Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Three Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.24.2020
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018