Throughout his legal career, Brent has been a respected business and legal adviser to privately held business clients, operating as in-house counsel to the management teams and the multi-generational family owners of those businesses.
During the nearly 20 years that Brent led the firm as Managing Partner, he and the Management Committee have focused on strategic growth initiatives that, at their core, have aligned with the fundamental goal of serving clients by attracting the best legal talent from an increasingly diverse, entrepreneurial, and collaborative team of attorneys and staff. The firm has grown from two offices in Ohio to six offices across three states and Washington, D.C., serving clients in many major metropolitan areas across the U.S. and in Canada, Europe, and Asia. Brent's legacy as Managing Partner includes leading Calfee through the Great Recession and the COVID-19 pandemic while preserving the firm's unique culture based on mutual trust and respect for the firm's members, its clients, and community partners. Brent continues to focus on accelerating the firm's growth in order to best serve its clients' legal and business needs.
Brent has championed diversifying the legal industry, and he actively participates in community-focused initiatives that support the educational success of diverse students and the professional success of diverse attorneys and professionals. Over the past 15+ years, Calfee has worked diligently to recruit, retain, and promote women and diverse leaders within the firm and the business community. This work continues to be a focus area for Brent as he seeks to leverage his contacts in legal and business circles to provide resources and support for diversity and inclusion goals.
Brent joined Calfee in 1985, was elected Partner in 1993, joined the Executive Committee in 1999, and the Management Committee in 2002. He was elected Managing Partner in 2004 and served in this role through 2022. In 2023, Brent became the firm's Managing Partner Emeritus.
He has served on a variety of boards and committees in Northeast Ohio's business, education, and service community, including the following active board membership positions:
- Playhouse Square Foundation, Cleveland’s renowned performing arts district, serving as Board Chair-Elect since 2022 and as a board member since 2013
- University Circle Inc., a community service corporation responsible for developing, serving, and advocating for University Circle as a vibrant and complete neighborhood without borders, serving as a Board Executive Committee member since 2022 and as a board member since 2021
- University School, a K-12 private school for boys in Greater Cleveland, served as Board President for four years and serving as a board member since 2005
- Pepper Pike Club, serving on the Board's Executive Committee since 2022 and as a board member since 2021
- Bluecoats, Inc., a charitable organization that contributes significant financial and educational assistance to families of local first responders who lost their lives in the line of duty, serving on the Board of Directors since 2004
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, the largest metropolitan chamber of commerce in the nation, serving on the Board of Directors since 2012
In addition, Brent served on the boards of the 50 Club (Executive Committee President 2013-2014 and Executive Committee 2012-2014) and the Union Club of Cleveland (Board President 2017-2019 and board member 2005-2019).
At Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Brent serves as a member of the Society of Benchers (Hall of Fame, 2005-present) and the Visiting Committee (business advisers, 2005-present). He currently serves as a member of the Ohio Business Roundtable. Brent was a member of Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2003.
Honors & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law and Real Estate Law (2006-2024)
- “Notable in Law,” Crain’s Cleveland Business (2022)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Review, 1985
M.P.S., Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration, 1980
B.A., Economics, Bates College, 1978
University School, 1974
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Playhouse Square Foundation, Board Chair-Elect (2022-present), Board Vice Chair, Nominating and Governance (2020-2022), Board Secretary/Treasurer (2017-2020), Board of Trustees (2013-present)
- University Circle Inc., Board Executive Committee (2022-present), Board of Trustees (2021-present)
- University School, Board President (2013-2017), Board of Trustees (2005-present)
- Pepper Pike Club, Board Executive Committee (2022-present), Board Member (2021-present)
- Bluecoats, Inc., Board of Directors (2004-present)
- Greater Cleveland Partnership, Board of Directors (2012-present)
- CWRU School of Law, Society of Benchers (Hall of Fame, inducted 2005)
- CWRU School of Law, Visiting Committee (Business Advisers, 2005-present)
- Ohio Business Roundtable, Member
- Union Club of Cleveland, Board President (2017-2019), Board of Trustees (2005-2019)
- 50 Club, Executive Committee President (2013-2014), Executive Committee (2012-2014)
- Leadership Cleveland Class of 2003
News & Events
- 93 Calfee Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Award Recipients; 6 Named “Lawyers of the Year”The Best Lawyers in America, 2024 edition,
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Elects New Managing Partner and Additional Firm and Practice Leaders and Partners
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Crain’s Cleveland Business,
- The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Sixty-seven Calfee Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Lists; Two Calfee Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year"The Best Lawyers in America©,
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 2019