Calfee attorneys in various practice areas have significant experience that impacts aviation industry clients. We handle litigation and general business matters ranging from business formation to accident litigation.
Calfee attorneys have experience with and assist pilots, airports, airlines, fixed-base operators, insurers, maintenance facilities and other aviation operations with negligence claims, administrative enforcement actions and transactional matters such as purchases, sales, and fractional ownership of aircraft.
Calfee is a member of the National Business Aviation Association (NBAA).
Calfee defends aviation pilots, fixed-base operators, flight schools, airports, maintenance facilities, airlines, manufacturers and other businesses involved in the aviation industry in civil litigation.
We have the experience and resources to protect the interests of our clients if litigation should arise. Our attorneys work to minimize the impact of litigation and achieve optimal outcomes for our clients by taking a hands-on approach that involves counseling and keeping our clients informed throughout every step of the process.
With many ways to lease, purchase or sell an aircraft, each transaction is unique. Whether our client is a corporate flight department looking to add aircraft to the fleet or a first-time buyer looking to purchase or lease a single airplane, we are experienced in assisting clients through the entire transaction.
Aviation Business Counseling
Our attorneys have experience across the board when it comes to aviation business counseling. For example, we have assisted in forming entities to own aircraft and operate flight schools and maintenance facilities.
FAA Enforcement Actions
Our attorneys regularly defend pilots, Part 121 and 135 operators, and others facing letters of investigation, suspension revocation of operating certificate, or assessments of civil penalties.
The aviation industry is built upon a vast and complex regulatory framework. We stay abreast of regulatory changes and work with pilots, airports, operators, and business owners to navigate the maze of regulatory compliance.
Calfee is fully versed in environmental compliance related to airport operations, aviation manufacturing facilities, and defense of enforcement matters related to the aviation industry. These matters range from refueling and de-icing operations at larger airports, to compliance matters at smaller regional and local airports. Calfee’s extensive experience in environmental permitting allows us to evaluate the compliance status of a facility and proactively address concerns that might be raised by regulatory agencies.
UAS (Drone) Operations
Unmanned Aircraft Systems, commonly referred to as “drones,” have grown in popularity over the past several years. At the same time, local, state, and federal agencies are working to put regulatory standards and safety requirements in place to protect the public. As the FAA has formalized the regulatory framework for UAS, operators for business or personal purposes must be aware of what the FAA deems safe and legal operation of UAS within the national airspace.
Flying Club Organization
Flying clubs are an attractive and affordable option for groups of pilots to purchase an aircraft for recreational or business purposes. Proper planning and organization of a club is key to ensuring regulatory compliance and to increase protection from liabilities.
News & Events
- Calfee's James Sullivan Quoted in Claims Journal About the Outlook for COVID Business Interruption ClaimsClaims Journal, 07.27.2021
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Hartzell Propeller Inc. in Acquistion of Tanis Aircraft Products07.22.2021
- Calfee's Estate and Succession Planning and Administration Practice and Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in Ohio in Chambers High Net Worth 2021 GuideChambers High Net Worth 2021 Guide, 07.22.2021
- Calfee Partners Jason J. Blake and David Bules Named to Benchmark Litigation's 2021 "40 & Under Hot List"Benchmark Litigation, 07.21.2021
- Crain's Cleveland Business, 06.25.2021
- Calfee Labor and Employment Attorney Jason Dejelo Quoted in Crain's Article, "How HB 352 Shapes Employment Litigation in Ohio"Crain's Cleveland Business, 06.20.2021
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold Named a Leading Law Firm by Chambers USA 2021 With 10 Practice Rankings and 27 Attorney RankingsChambers USA 2021: America's Leading Business Lawyers, 05.26.2021
- Calfee Partner James Sullivan Interviewed for Law.com Article About Ohio Supreme Court Insurance Coverage Case Stemming From Pandemic-Related Business LossesLaw.com, 04.27.2021
- Brent Pietrafese Leads Legal Deal Team for Cable Manufacturing & Assembly, Inc. in its Sale to Torque Capital Group04.19.2021
- James Sullivan Featured in Two Articles About COVID-19 Business Interruption Coverage Litigation in Business Insurance and Claims Journal PublicationsBusiness Insurance and Claims Journal, 04.16.2021
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 03.29.2021
- Calfee's James Sullivan Featured in Two Articles Discussing COVID-19 Business Interruption InsuranceClaims Journal and Carrier Management, 03.04.2021
- World Trademark Review 1000 Recognizes Calfee Partner Raymond Rundelli as "Top Trademark Attorney" in USWorld Trademark Review 1000, 02.11.2021
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Calfee Connections, 07.14.2021
- The DOL’s Cybersecurity Guidance for Employee Benefit Plan Sponsors, Fiduciaries, Recordkeepers, Participants and BeneficiariesCalfee Connections, 04.19.2021
- Ohio Supreme Court to Issue Opinion on Central Issue for COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance ClaimsCalfee Connections, 04.15.2021
- Calfee Connections, 04.12.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.24.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.10.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.05.2021
- Calfee Connections, 02.03.2021
- Calfee Connections, 01.27.2021
- Calfee NOW Episode 10 With Marty McGann, Executive Vice President, Advocacy & Strategic Initiatives With the Greater Cleveland PartnershipCalfee Connections, 12.17.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.16.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.10.2020
- Calfee Connections, 12.04.2020
- Calfee Connections, 11.18.2020
- Calfee Connections, 11.02.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.30.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.29.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.27.2020
- Calfee Connections, 10.06.2020
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Aviation Law
- Business Restructuring and Insolvency
- Capital Markets and Public Reporting
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Lending
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Finance
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- ESOP Formation and Operation
- Federal Government Relations and Policy
- Government Relations and Legislation
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- IP and Technology Transactions
- Labor and Employment
- Patent Prosecution
- Private Equity
- Public Company M&A and Board Counseling
- Public Finance
- Public Law
- Public Law Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tax Litigation
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation
- White-Collar Defense and Investigations
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA