Calfee attorneys in various practice areas have significant experience that impacts aviation industry clients. We handle litigation and general business matters ranging from business formation to accident litigation.
Calfee attorneys have experience with and assist pilots, airports, airlines, fixed-base operators, insurers, maintenance facilities and other aviation operations with negligence claims, administrative enforcement actions and transactional matters such as purchases, sales, and fractional ownership of aircraft.
Calfee is a member of the National Business Aviation Association (NBAA).
Calfee defends aviation pilots, fixed-base operators, flight schools, airports, maintenance facilities, airlines, manufacturers and other businesses involved in the aviation industry in civil litigation.
We have the experience and resources to protect the interests of our clients if litigation should arise. Our attorneys work to minimize the impact of litigation and achieve optimal outcomes for our clients by taking a hands-on approach that involves counseling and keeping our clients informed throughout every step of the process.
With many ways to lease, purchase or sell an aircraft, each transaction is unique. Whether our client is a corporate flight department looking to add aircraft to the fleet or a first-time buyer looking to purchase or lease a single airplane, we are experienced in assisting clients through the entire transaction.
Aviation Business Counseling
Our attorneys have experience across the board when it comes to aviation business counseling. For example, we have assisted in forming entities to own aircraft and operate flight schools and maintenance facilities.
FAA Enforcement Actions
Our attorneys regularly defend pilots, Part 121 and 135 operators, and others facing letters of investigation, suspension revocation of operating certificate, or assessments of civil penalties.
The aviation industry is built upon a vast and complex regulatory framework. We stay abreast of regulatory changes and work with pilots, airports, operators, and business owners to navigate the maze of regulatory compliance.
Calfee is fully versed in environmental compliance related to airport operations, aviation manufacturing facilities, and defense of enforcement matters related to the aviation industry. These matters range from refueling and de-icing operations at larger airports, to compliance matters at smaller regional and local airports. Calfee’s extensive experience in environmental permitting allows us to evaluate the compliance status of a facility and proactively address concerns that might be raised by regulatory agencies.
UAS (Drone) Operations
Unmanned Aircraft Systems, commonly referred to as “drones,” have grown in popularity over the past several years. At the same time, local, state, and federal agencies are working to put regulatory standards and safety requirements in place to protect the public. As the FAA has formalized the regulatory framework for UAS, operators for business or personal purposes must be aware of what the FAA deems safe and legal operation of UAS within the national airspace.
Flying Club Organization
Flying clubs are an attractive and affordable option for groups of pilots to purchase an aircraft for recreational or business purposes. Proper planning and organization of a club is key to ensuring regulatory compliance and to increase protection from liabilities.
News & Events
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.05.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.28.2020
- Calfee Workers' Compensation attorneys' articles published in the 2020 edition of National Workers' Compensation Defense Network (NWCDN) bookWorkers' Compensation Emerging Issues Analysis, 03.10.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP Earns Rankings in The International Financial Law Review 1000 Guide in Five Practice Areas and Four Calfee Attorneys Recognized As "Highly Regarded Attorneys"The International Financial Law Review, 11.01.2019
- Fifty-three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Appellate Proceedings Litigation
- Aviation Law
- Business Restructuring and Insolvency
- Calfee Strategic Solutions
- Commercial and Public Finance
- Commercial Finance
- Compliance / Regulatory Services
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Capital Markets
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Litigation and Enforcement
- Federal Government Relations and Policy
- Government Relations and Legislation
- Information Technology Law
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- IP and Technology Transactions
- Labor and Employment
- Patent Prosecution
- Public Finance
- Public Law
- Public Law Litigation
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- State Government Relations and Policy
- Tax Law
- Tax Litigation
- Tort, Accident and Product Liability Litigation
- White-Collar Defense and Investigations
- Workers’ Compensation and OSHA