Calfee’s Aviation Law practice group is experienced in multiple areas that impact aviation industry clients, including litigation and general business with matters ranging from entity formation to accident litigation.
Calfee attorneys have experience with and assist pilots, airports, airlines, fixed-base operators, insurers, and other aviation entities with matters ranging from negligence claims and administrative enforcement actions to transactional matters such as purchases, sales, and fractional ownership of aircraft.
Calfee is a member of the National Business Aviation Association (NBAA).
Calfee defends manufacturers, pilots, fixed-base operators, flight schools, airports, maintenance facilities, and other businesses involved in the aviation industry that may face civil litigation. We have the experience and resources to protect the interests of our clients if litigation should arise. Our attorneys work to minimize the impact of litigation and achieve optimal outcomes for our clients by taking a hands-on approach that involves counseling and keeping our clients informed throughout every step of the process.
With many ways to lease, purchase or sell an aircraft, each transaction is unique. Whether our client is a corporate flight department looking to add aircraft to the fleet or a first-time buyer looking to lease or purchase a single airplane, we are experienced in assisting clients through the entire transaction.
Aviation Business Counseling
Our attorneys have experience across the board when it comes to aviation business counseling. For example, we have assisted in forming entities to own aircraft and operate flight schools and maintenance facilities, revise operating agreements, and negotiate fuel contracts with and for airport authorities.
FAA Enforcement Actions
Our attorneys regularly defend pilots, Part 121 and 135 operators, and others facing letters of investigation, suspension or revocation of operating certificates, or assessments of civil penalties.
The aviation industry is built upon a vast and complex regulatory framework. We stay abreast of regulatory changes and work with pilots, airports, operators, and business owners to navigate the maze of regulatory compliance.
Calfee is fully versed in environmental compliance related to airport operations, aviation manufacturing facilities, and defense of enforcement matters related to the aviation industry. These matters range from refueling and de-icing operations at larger airports to compliance matters at smaller regional and local airports. Calfee’s extensive experience in environmental permitting allows us to evaluate the compliance status of a facility and proactively address concerns that might be raised by regulatory agencies.
UAS (Drone) Operations
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly referred to as “drones,” have grown in popularity over the past several years. At the same time, local, state, and federal agencies are working to put regulatory standards and safety requirements in place to protect the public. As the FAA has formalized the regulatory framework for UAS, operators for business or personal purposes must be aware of what the FAA deems safe and legal operation of UAS within the airspace.
Flying Club Organization
Flying clubs are an attractive and affordable option for groups of pilots to purchase aircraft for recreational or business purposes. Proper planning and organization of a club are key to ensuring regulatory compliance and increasing protection from liabilities.
News & Events
- "Legal Lease – Illegal Charter?" Article by Calfee Aviation Attorney Jerry Eichenberger Published in AOPA Pilot Protection Insights Spring EditionAircraft Owners and Pilots Association Insights (Spring Edition 2023),
- Columbus CEO,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Aviation Law Attorney Jerry Eichenberger Re-elected to Ohio Regional Business Aviation Association Board
- Crain’s Cleveland Business,
- Calfee Partners Jason J. Blake and David Bules Named to Benchmark Litigation's 2021 "40 & Under Hot List"Benchmark Litigation,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Connections,
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Entertainment, Media and the Arts
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Food and Beverage
- Gaming and Hospitality
- Health Care
- Individuals and Families
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Partnerships, LLCs and Joint Ventures
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies
- Real Estate
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Software and Information Technology