Calfee’s Federal Government Contract and Agency Regulation attorneys represent clients on matters related to government contract litigation before the United States Court of Federal Claims, United States District Courts, Federal Appellate Courts, various Boards of Contract Appeals, and the General Accounting Office.
We regularly represent clients regarding their legal matters involving the Departments of Defense, Labor, Treasury, State, Agriculture, and Commerce.
Attorneys in this practice also have represented clients before the Food and Drug Administration, Mine Safety and Health Administration, Customs Service, NASA, GSA and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Based on their knowledge of U.S. government contracting and regulatory procedures, our attorneys bring a unique perspective to the interests of our business clients.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion in the 2022 "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in the following areas:
- Energy Law (Regional Tier 2 Cleveland)
- Environmental Law (Regional Tier 3 Columbus)
- Government Relations Practice (Regional Tier 1 Columbus, Regional Tier 2 Cincinnati)
Benchmark Litigation Rankings
Calfee was selected for inclusion by Benchmark Litigation as a "Highly Recommended" litigation firm in Ohio in the area of Dispute Resolution. Additionally, several of Calfee's Litigation attorneys have been ranked by Benchmark Litigation as "Local Litigation Stars – Ohio" and as “40 & Under Hot List Honorees – Midwest.”
- Served as an arbitrator on a federal contract dispute valued in excess of $3 million between a primary contractor and a subcontractor.
- Defended a subcontractor in a False Claims Act matter valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Protested contract awards of the General Services Administration before the United States Claims Court.
- Defended a qui tam lawsuit for a large publicly held corporation.
- Appeared before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and converted two Terminations for Default into terminations for convenience resulting in favorable settlement in excess of $500,000.
- Negotiated a Memorandum of Understanding to rescind a Termination for Default on a subcontract supporting the Chemical Warhead Destruction Facility program.
- Negotiated a multi-million-dollar Cost Accounting Standard matter involving pension funding that resulted in the client paying nothing to the Government.
- Processed a foreign language label through the FDA for export of a major pharmaceutical product.
- Represented clients in criminal and civil matters involving U.S. Customs Service transactions.
- Represented mine operations and supervisors in administrative hearings before the MSHA.
- Responded to audit queries by the United States EPA in the administration of an EPA grant.
- Represented clients in administering Buy American Act compliance in federal procurements.
- Assisted contractors and subcontractors on bid or proposal preparation for major government procurements.
- Advised contractors and subcontractors on performance and quality issues during performance.
- Advised clients on obtaining applications for Department of Treasury approval of specialized trade with foreign countries.
- Negotiated with U.S. Customs regarding duty-free treatment of products shipped into the United States by a wholly owned subsidiary of an American corporation.
- Created export compliance programs.
- Assisted clients in preparing cost submittals that address and retain proprietary rights.
Government Contract Litigation
- Bid protests
- Qui tam/whistleblower defense suits
- Challenges to contract terminations
- Contract claims and equitable adjustments
- Federal leases
- Defense of False Claims Act allegations
Agency Regulatory Matters
- FDA matters
- Foreign trade licensing requirements
- MSHA procedures
- Department of Defense matters
- EPA matters
- Executive order compliance
Government Contract Administration
- Cost accounting standards issues
- Truth-In-Negotiations Act issues
- Buy American
- Bid preparation issues
- Specification requirements
- Quality requirements
- Performance issues
News & Events
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Ranks Among Top 33% of Law Firms in 2022 BTI Client Service A-Team List; Recognized as One of 59 Most Improved Law FirmsThe BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Columbus Jewish News,
- The BTI Consulting Group, Inc.,
- Calfee Earns Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in the 2021 Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms"U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®,
- Jake Blake and Josh Sanders Speak at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Ohio Annual Conference
- Fifty-one Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2020