Steve also is a leader of the firm’s ESOP group. His practice focuses on counseling primarily privately held company clients with respect to transactional matters including mergers and acquisitions, ESOP formation, and a wide range of general corporate, business and finance matters, including corporate governance, early-stage investing, and a variety of commercial contracts.
Steve also effectively serves as outside general counsel to a number of private companies that do not have in-house legal departments. As such, Steve advises clients on a wide variety of day-to-day legal matters, including employment and consulting agreements, non-competition agreements, executive compensation arrangements, and distribution agreements.
Steve’s clients range from start-ups to public companies and across various industries, including construction, advertising, finance, software, and manufacturing.
Steve has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law (2013-2020) and Mergers and Acquisitions. Law (2013-2019)
Steve has been a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee since 2014. He is active in community matters in New Albany and Columbus. He is a student coach for the Handshake Foundation.
Prior to joining Calfee, Steve was an associate with the law firms of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in New York City and Lucash, Gesmer & Updegrove in Boston. He was a partner with the firm of Goldstein & Manello, P.C. before joining Calfee as a partner in 2000. He is a member of the Ohio, New York and Massachusetts Bar Associations.
Honors & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America©, Corporate Law (2013-2020), Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2013-2019)
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1988
B.A., with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, The Ohio State University, 1985
- Installed Building Products (NYSE: IBP) and its affiliates in several acquisitions, including:
- Purchase of the stock of the Alpha Insulation and Waterproofing group of companies, which installs waterproofing, insulation, fireproofing, and fire-stopping products for large, long-lead time commercial projects throughout the southern United States
- Purchase of the stock of the BDI Insulation group of companies, which installs fiberglass insulation serving select markets in Southern California, Washington, Idaho and Utah through nine branch locations
- Purchase of substantially all of the assets of Alpine Insulation Co. Inc., a Wisconsin residential and commercial insulation contractor
- Represented Marsh, Berry & Co., Inc., an S corporation, in the simultaneous redemption of 100% of their outstanding capital stock and the sale of new shares to an ESOP
- Represented a venture capital firm in its formation, capital formation and subsequent Series A Preferred investments in 10 portfolio companies
- Represented Rev1 Ventures in numerous Convertible Notes and Series A Preferred financings
- Represented a U.K. corporation in the purchase of two separate product lines from a Fortune 50 U.S. public company for approximately $40 million and $25 million, respectively
- Represented a U.S. public company engaged in the hardware and software business in the sale of two separate lines of business to another U.S. public company for approximately $100 million and $300 million, respectively
- Represented the management team in a leverage buyout of health care related company for approximately $30 million
- Represented a private equity fund in the purchase of a nutritional supplement company for approximately $30 million
- Represented a Japanese holding company in the purchase of a Tier 2 automobile parts supplier for approximately $30 million
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
Handshake Foundation, student coach
News & Events
- Fifty Three Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 202008.15.2019
- Forty Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Lawyers of the Year and The Best Lawyers in America 201908.15.2018
- Thirty-Seven Calfee, Halter & Griswold Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 201811.13.2017
- New York