Jaclyn develops customized estate plans to achieve her clients’ goals. She enjoys facilitating peace of mind for the individuals, families and businesses that she represents. She works with families to minimize or eliminate transfer taxes and instills confidence in her clients through her knowledge of technical details and sophisticated estate planning vehicles such as sales to defective grantor trusts, insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, family limited partnerships and spousal lifetime access trusts. Jaclyn designs estate plans to minimize the potential for future creditors’ claims and maintaining client’s privacy while balancing the need for practical and appropriate solutions to complex matters.
Jaclyn knows how to obtain the best results for her fiduciary clients. She has extensive experience with drafting private settlement agreements and declaratory judgment actions. In addition to this pre-controversy work, she provides litigation support to Calfee’s probate and trust litigation practice. Jaclyn also counsels executors and trustees through all aspects of an estate and trust administration which includes complying with the client’s fiduciary duties and preparing Form 706 U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax) Return and Form 709 U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax) Return and more.
Jaclyn is well-versed on many different aspects of charitable planning through her work representing nonprofit organizations and individuals. She frequently negotiates gift agreements for her clients. She also manages regulatory matters for private foundations and public charities such as preparing applications for nonprofit status for new charitable organizations, complying with charitable registration and solicitation requirements in multiple states, and reviewing 990 tax returns. Jaclyn has counseled nonprofit organizations on fiscal sponsorships, charitable giving requirements, fundraising and restricted gifts.
Jaclyn advises numerous nonprofit organizations on a variety of legal issues through her involvement with the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts and Reach Out Committees. She also assists Candid Midwest with its regular program, “Is Starting a Nonprofit Right for You?”
She has presented on a wide variety of topics including handling artwork and collections in estate planning and charitable giving, estate planning with beneficiary designations, pay-on-death and transfer-on-death accounts and revocable trust planning.
Jaclyn is a member of the Estate Planning Council of Cleveland, the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, the CMBA's Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Committee, the CMBA's Reach Out for Nonprofit Organizations Committee, and the Geauga County Bar Association.
She is also a member of University Hospitals Diamond Advisory Group and the Planned Giving Council of the Cleveland Museum of Art.
Jaclyn is a Past Chair of the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Committee of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and Good Deeds Committee of the Geauga County Bar Association.
Jaclyn joined Calfee in 2016, and she was elected Partner in 2020.
Honors & Recognitions
- Ohio State Bar Foundation, Community Service Award for Attorneys 40 and Under for District 12 (2020)
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2012
Case Western Reserve University Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations, 2012
B.A., Columbia College of Columbia University, 2006
Professional & Community
Professional & Community
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2020 Class of Fellows
- Estate Planning Council of Cleveland, Board Member and Membership Committee Chair
- American Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- CMBA's Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Committee, Member and Past Chair
- CMBA's Reach Out for Nonprofit Organizations Committee, Member
- Geauga County Bar Association, Member and Past Chair of its Good Deeds Committee
- University Hospitals Diamond Advisory Group, Member
- Planned Giving Council of the Cleveland Museum of Art, Member
News & Events
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, 10.25.2018
- Jaclyn Vary to Moderate Panel During Upcoming Reach Out: Legal Assistance for Nonprofit Organizations Seminar08.24.2017
- Webinar, 10.27.2020
- Jaclyn M. Vary to Speak at The Marvin R. Pliskin Advanced Probate and Estate Planning Seminar on September 11, 2020Webinar, 09.11.2020
- Webinar, 05.05.2020
- Webinar, 04.07.2020
- Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation, 02.22.2019